Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Virus Protection/ Best Laptop to BUY??? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343040)

pawpawdiv9 11-23-2023 08:09 AM

Virus Protection/ Best Laptop to BUY???

I have had Kaspersky for several years, and it has expired.
Looking at other software to get, any idea????
I so far looked at Bitdefender, Total AV, Norton.
My computer is a old one, but still good. Use it alot for company invoices.
Its a windows 8.1 version. Been thinking of buying a new one in a few yrs.

Bored5000 11-23-2023 03:30 PM

I use Bitdefender for my desktop and phone. No complaints and it is pretty easy to use. That is a good choice, IMO.

earlywynnfan 11-23-2023 06:29 PM

Same, bitdefender

Mark17 11-23-2023 07:13 PM

I have Norton because I like the identity theft protection. It also comes with anti-virus scan, blocks problematic sites, and includes VPN. Basic subscription includes coverage for 5 devices.

Michael B 11-23-2023 08:57 PM

I work from home full time and use my personal computer for office work. Due to the sensitive information we use Sentinel One and Elpha Secure. Kaspersky is actually quite good. Being Russian they are in tune with the Eastern European hackers. I had it for many years and it worked well. Our tech consultants said a lot of people were removing it due to the fact they are Russian and possibly tied to the government. Mine was removed as it was not compatible with the other security programs they installed.

You will get a lot of opinions on this. The ones already suggested plus other like malware bites.

chalupacollects 11-23-2023 09:15 PM

Norton and windows defender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

butchie_t 11-23-2023 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 2391046)
I have had Kaspersky for several years, and it has expired.
Looking at other software to get, any idea????
I so far looked at Bitdefender, Total AV, Norton.
My computer is a old one, but still good. Use it alot for company invoices.
Its a windows 8.1 version. Been thinking of buying a new one in a few yrs.

Get a new computer. 8.1? Get a new computer……..

Michael B 11-24-2023 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2391213)
Get a new computer. 8.1? Get a new computer……..

He is right on this. Windows 11 is the current version. Yours is so obsolete it cannot be updated anymore.

Chalupa mentioned Windows Defender. It is included with Windows 11. They also offer the Norton VPN.

pawpawdiv9 11-24-2023 08:09 AM

OK!!!!!

NEXT QUESTION:
Whats the best laptop to buy??? Windows (not Mac)
Not for gaming, mainly for business.

Kaneen 11-24-2023 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 2391263)
OK!!!!!

NEXT QUESTION:
Whats the best laptop to buy??? Windows (not Mac)
Not for gaming, mainly for business.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a tech geek (I'm over 60 and far from it, lol)...I use a laptop in quite the same way as you describe. I like the HP laptops, and this weekend with all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, you will be able to find a very good Windows 11 machine for less than $500. As mentioned above, Windows 11 comes with some built in "Windows Defender" security. I got mine at Costco...They have a Black Friday deal on a HP 17.1 inch screen, with 8 GB Memory and 512 Gb SSD for only $379 today. Good deals to be found.

Good luck!

chalupacollects 11-25-2023 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneen (Post 2391449)
Let me preface this by saying I am not a tech geek (I'm over 60 and far from it, lol)...I use a laptop in quite the same way as you describe. I like the HP laptops, and this weekend with all the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, you will be able to find a very good Windows 11 machine for less than $500. As mentioned above, Windows 11 comes with some built in "Windows Defender" security. I got mine at Costco...They have a Black Friday deal on a HP 17.1 inch screen, with 8 GB Memory and 512 Gb SSD for only $379 today. Good deals to be found.

Good luck!

Agree with HP laptops, We've had Dell and Lenovo also and the ones that the wife and kids have not been able to break have been HP's.

pawpawdiv9 11-26-2023 08:32 AM

Great info on that Costco.
btw- i only use HP laptops, prefer the large screens. The one i got currently has been a good one. It is a 8.1, but upgrade to 10.