Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ryne Sandberg response for autograph request (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235385)

niembre 02-14-2017 02:16 PM

Ryne Sandberg response for autograph request

1 Attachment(s)
I got a response from Ryne Sandberg on my instagram account after posting a card that I've been carrying for over 25 years. Now I just have to find a way to get it signed. We are going to spring training, hopefully he'll be there. Any ideas of how to get the card signed?

pooh528 02-14-2017 03:27 PM

He has been signing through the mail if you include a small donation. The address is 260 Shore Acres Cir. Lake Bluff, IL 60044

The going rate seems to be $10-$15

ChiSoxTony 02-14-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh528 (Post 1630854)
He has been signing through the mail if you include a small donation. The address is 260 Shore Acres Cir. Lake Bluff, IL 60044

The going rate seems to be $10-$15

Pooh's right. Might do it for free for you if you include the instagram pic.

7nohitter 02-14-2017 06:22 PM

I have a Nolan Ryan that looks just like that, which he signed for me in 2001.

packs 02-15-2017 07:13 AM

From what I've heard he's a pretty gracious signer at spring training.

niembre 02-15-2017 08:41 AM

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully I can get lucky during Spring training. Last year I never saw him during the week I was there. My goal is to get the card signed in person, but I might have to try his address if I am unlucky this spring training.

Bruinsfan94 02-16-2017 04:49 PM

He has always been a good signer. Just mention the instragram post in a letter,I'm sure he will sign for free.

niembre 03-20-2017 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to meet Ryne Sandberg and get my card signed last Tuesday at spring training. It was really cool that he remembered the card and my Instagram post. Mission Complete!

ChiSoxTony 03-20-2017 03:46 PM

Great news, niembre! Seeing that card signed me smile.

Ulidia 03-20-2017 04:20 PM

One of my favourite signed cards I have seen on this site.

Scott Garner 03-20-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niembre (Post 1643019)
I was able to meet Ryne Sandberg and get my card signed last Tuesday at spring training. It was really cool that he remembered the card and my Instagram post. Mission Complete!

That's way cool! :cool: :)

chaddurbin 03-20-2017 09:54 PM

sorry i don't see the point of this, waste of a signature...but i'm glad ryno was gracious enough to sign it and included the HOF inscription.

niembre 03-21-2017 06:50 AM

I know this card is not worth much, but to me this card has more value than any other Sandberg autographs that I currently own. It was 26 years in the making when I first put that card in my wallet in my 9th grade Algebra class. I'll never forget that day and the joy I had when he signed it. And for good measure, he also signed a ball for me, so I also got a nice and clean autograph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1643211)
sorry i don't see the point of this, waste of a signature...but i'm glad ryno was gracious enough to sign it and included the HOF inscription.

bnorth 03-21-2017 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulidia (Post 1643113)
One of my favourite signed cards I have seen on this site.

+1 The items that people get because they truly love them and don't care about the value are always the best.

packs 03-21-2017 09:02 AM

Glad this worked out for you and also that everything I heard about Sandberg was true.

WillowGrove 03-21-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niembre (Post 1643019)

That's flat out great. Congrats Niembre!

pclpads 03-21-2017 10:39 AM

I'd call this a pity signing becuz of how pitiful the card is. :D

scooter729 03-21-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

I think the card and signature are very cool - most people on here are collectors at the very core, and not every autograph or card has to be about the value of the almighty buck attached to it.

mrmopar 03-21-2017 07:57 PM

There had to be more people thinking the same thing and good for you for being the first to actually post it for all to see. I expected the exact response you received. Although you simply shared your opinion and it was 180 degrees from the owners, you were still judged for it.

I agree as well and it isn't based on value in my eyes. I am one that would, without a 2nd thought, take that extreme the other way and have something so valuable signed that many would shudder just at the thought of it. I just always liked a nicer item for my collection and something that worn out would be a waste of a signature in my eyes, even if I had unlimited access to said signature.

I get how someone may have a sentimental attachment for an item like that, although I don't really get that either. I have never kept anything in my wallet for that long, let alone anything that wasn't needed in there. To each their own though and it makes for an interesting story.

Quote:

chaddurbin 03-21-2017 08:39 PM

my intention wasn't to bash at all. my most sentimental card is a 1989 donruss jose canseco 40/40 club or '89 score roger clemens, and although they're worthless i would never even consider dinging a corner or creasing it, maybe i'm just a condition freak.

to each their own tho, i never tell someone how to collect and i always find it funny when people ask what they should get next...if you don't know what you want and need other people's advice maybe it's time for a new hobby.

sixpointone 03-22-2017 07:16 AM

What a great story. Brings a smile to my face. I was always a fan of Ryne's, and even more so now. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

alifaxwa2 03-22-2017 09:33 AM

My POV on this is that its not a waste because the item has sentimental value. That signature and inscription on another item would look prettier and be worth more, but it would be just another signed card to the OP, not something that truly makes him happy.

Lordstan 03-22-2017 12:10 PM

I think everyone is right. We all have different interests and priorities. I think it's cool because it's sentimental to him. Would I want it for myself? No, but it has no sentimental value to me personally.
Collect what makes you happy.

Gary Dunaier 03-25-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

I agree that this was a waste of a signature... but I also agree with what other have said about the sentimental value.

But then again, when I get autographs my preferred item is a plain 3x5 card... and I ask them to personalize it (and write the current day's date).

JustinD 03-26-2017 05:19 PM

I think it's silly that any concern is placed on a signature that there are more than anyone could ever need and is a limitless supply for likely at least 30 more years.

With a common signature of a modern player I can see no better use in the world than for a sentimental item. Very happy the op recieved his sig and this is likely the most valuable Ryno in his mind out there.

Gary Dunaier 04-03-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1644887)
I think it's silly that any concern is placed on a signature that there are more than anyone could ever need and is a limitless supply for likely at least 30 more years.

Unfortunately, we live in a time where the monetization of autographs makes such concern necessary.