Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old Cardboard (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=187235)

ullmandds 05-01-2014 03:14 PM

Old Cardboard

Today I got my latest copy of Old Cardboard...celebrating their 10th anniversary in the hobby. Congratulations is in order...congrats to Lyman and Brett Hardeman for putting out such a high quality publication for over 10 yrs.

I dig the new packaging as well...my issue arrived in mint condition!

bcornell 05-01-2014 03:31 PM

I second the motion. The Hardemans have done a great job!

Bill

Moonlight Graham 05-01-2014 03:35 PM

I third the motion-those guys are great and put out an incredible magazine-and using talent from right here on NET 54 to boot :D

irishdenny 05-02-2014 11:31 PM

I've been meaning to Subscribe...

"Thanks Peter for the Reminder!!!"

the 'stache 05-03-2014 12:57 AM

I know they mailed on the first, so my magazine should be here in the morning. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Thank you, Lyman and Brett for putting together such a fascinating magazine, and congratulations on ten years!!!

buymycards 05-03-2014 07:51 AM

Ocb

I agree with everyone. I have been a subscriber since issue #1 and I have saved all of the issues and I use them for reference several times a year.

Keep up the good work!

Rick

ethicsprof 05-05-2014 08:43 PM

issue 31

I received my copy today and it is a great contribution to vintage baseball scholarship. The variety of topics, including the '13 cravats, '23 uglies,
the Negro Leagues 'Holy Grail Postcard' of JGibson, N135 and N284 sharings
of same original template, and the T201 Mecca double folders makes all these
finely tuned pieces a must read.
If I may take a personal excursus, I must add that being able to witness the scholarship
and erudition of Mike Wheat's work on the T201s as it developed over the weeks and months was a rare treat and privilege for me. Thank you very much,Mike.
Ps
as usual, I always get at least one surprise from the Collector's Dugout.
I never knew that one of our longtime members(in his mid50s,I think) is a dedicated marathoner. Wow!
congrats everyone---10 years OC!!
best,
barry

joeadcock 05-05-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1273015)
I received my copy today and it is a great contribution to vintage baseball scholarship. The variety of topics, including the '13 cravats, '23 uglies,
the Negro Leagues 'Holy Grail Postcard' of JGibson, N135 and N284 sharings
of same original template, and the T201 Mecca double folders makes all these
finely tuned pieces a must read.
If I may take a personal excursus, I must add that being able to witness the scholarship
and erudition of Mike Wheat's work on the T201s as it developed over the weeks and months was a rare treat and privilege for me. Thank you very much,Mike.
Ps
as usual, I always get at least one surprise from the Collector's Dugout.
I never knew that one of our longtime members(in his mid50s,I think) is a dedicated marathoner. Wow!
congrats everyone---10 years OC!!
best,
barry

1+

Hey Barry

the 'stache 05-05-2014 10:20 PM

Hmm, still haven't gotten mine, and I'm in Dallas. They're in Austin. Maybe tomorrow.

Wildfireschulte 05-05-2014 10:21 PM

Thanks for the post. I had never heard of OC - glad to see a replacement to VCBC - just subscribed and bought back issue #3 with tobacco box article. What are your favorite back issues that I should I buy?

Bicem 05-05-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte (Post 1273037)
Thanks for the post. I had never heard of OC - glad to see a replacement to VCBC - just subscribed and bought back issue #3 with tobacco box article. What are your favorite back issues that I should I buy?

All of them.

Great issue, thanks guys!

Wildfireschulte 05-05-2014 11:22 PM

Do any of the back issues explore the nuances between PSA and SGC grading? Can't get enough of that.

Vol 05-06-2014 10:31 AM

OC

Love this magazine. Great color and articles. Congrats on 10 yrs!

E93 05-06-2014 11:34 AM

Congratulations! The magazine is great, but the Hardmans are even greater.
JimB

jeffmcurrie 05-06-2014 11:56 AM

How do you subscribe??

nolemmings 05-06-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

How do you subscribe??
http://www.oldcardboard.com/

See banner ad on top of main net54 page

Leon 05-06-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1273211)
http://www.oldcardboard.com/

See banner ad on top of main net54 page

and the top of every page, same place :). Lyman and Brett are the best!! Of course they are practically neighbors in Austin, but they would be the best even without living in the best state.

shernan30 05-06-2014 01:56 PM

Just signed up for a 2 year subscription. Since its after the May 1st release of the Spring issue will they still send one or do I have to wait until November?

Paul S 05-06-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shernan30 (Post 1273260)
Just signed up for a 2 year subscription. Since its after the May 1st release of the Spring issue will they still send one or do I have to wait until November?

This is what is stated, although the current issue seems to be #31:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/subscriptions.asp

* All orders are postpaid to U.S. locations; please inquire if outside U.S.
All new subscriptions begin with current issue (now #30)
Renewals pick up after current subscription expires
Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery of all items

inceptus 05-06-2014 02:33 PM

OC

Beautiful publication and great information resource! This thread just inspired me to reanimate my subscription, in case anyone's working on commish. :)

Paul S 05-06-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inceptus (Post 1273279)
Beautiful publication and great information resource! This thread just inspired me to reanimate my subscription, in case anyone's working on commish. :)

Not me:)

Joe_G. 05-07-2014 05:56 AM

Congrats to Lyman & Brett, hard to believe it has already been 10 years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte (Post 1273037)

I like the consistent balance of stories covering 19th Century, Ts, Es, and all the rest. I have a 19th century bias and very much enjoyed pulling the N172 Brooklyn Minis article together with Jay (issue 3) as well as writing about Tomlinson Studio (issue 13) together with many other great issues such as Jim Blumenthal's N167 article (issue 29). Use the search feature on OC website to help quickly identify issues of interest:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/BBC-...earchIndex.asp

BlueSky 05-07-2014 06:52 AM

Great publication. I have been reading through old ones that were in with my Dad's collection. Really great information.

the 'stache 05-07-2014 06:59 AM

Leon, you might want to contact Lyman. I just got the new issue yesterday, and atop page 6, in the upper left corner, is an ad for "the BEST source on the internet for vintage baseball cards

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/"

Since that forum is no longer active as of 2009, wouldn't we want people to be directed to the new site?

I know they might open the topmost topic with the new URL, but to avoid any confusion, I'd guess the new URL would be easier from the start. :p

Leon 05-07-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1273519)
Leon, you might want to contact Lyman. I just got the new issue yesterday, and atop page 6, in the upper left corner, is an ad for "the BEST source on the internet for vintage baseball cards

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/"

Since that forum is no longer active as of 2009, wouldn't we want people to be directed to the new site?

I know they might open the topmost topic with the new URL, but to avoid any confusion, I'd guess the new URL would be easier from the start. :p

I saw that yesterday as I read my new issue, Bill. Lyman was in NY yesterday on his way to going out of the country. He will be back next week and I will contact him about it. If anyone goes there (to the old site) they will quickly see it is a locked down site and will be directed to this one. It was just an old ad they had on file..... Thanks for the heads up.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-07-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte (Post 1273044)
Do any of the back issues explore the nuances between PSA and SGC grading? Can't get enough of that.

The only thing that comes close is a paper cut.

lhardem 05-12-2014 01:32 PM

Thanks for the Feedback

Greetings to all. I would have posted on this thread earlier but have been out of town (and out of the country). I just returned and am catching up with correspondence.

First, Brett and I want to thank all posters for your very kind words about Old Cardboard. We truly appreciate your comments as we celebrate the completion of 10 years serving the vintage baseball card hobby. We view the magazine, website and monthly eNewsletters as an extension of our hobby. As always, we welcome and need your support.

To answer a couple of questions in the thread:

shernan30: unless otherwise arranged, all new subscriptions automatically begin with the current issue (now issue #31).

"Favorite" back issues are determined by each collectors interests. All articles in the magazine are abstracted on the website at http://www.oldcardboard.com/subscriptions.asp. Subscriptions/renewals can also be ordered from that page using PayPal.

All magazine articles are also indexed, along with articles from the monthly OC eNewsletter and other hobby publications of the past, at http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/BBC-...earchIndex.asp.

Both of the above links can always be found on the Old Cardboard home page.

We offer a "Back-Pack" of all back issues (currently #1 through #30) priced at about half the individual back-issue price.

Leon, we've made a note to update the Net54 URL in your ad in the next issue of Old Cardboard.

Thanks again for the kind feedback (both private and on the forum) from all Net54ers. Determined primarily by your support, we hope to continue to serve the hobby another 10 years or even longer.

Happy Collecting,
Lyman and Brett

Bicem 05-12-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhardem (Post 1275390)
We offer a "Back-Pack" of all back issues (currently #1 through #30) priced at about half the individual back-issue price.

Wow! This is the way to go for anyone new to the magazine. Old Cardboard is one of the very few really good hobby publications, a great way to learn about all the interesting sets out there.

gregr2 05-12-2014 02:59 PM

Just signed up for a 2 year subscription, very excited to get my first issue!!

sebie43 05-12-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr2 (Post 1275423)
Just signed up for a 2 year subscription, very excited to get my first issue!!

+1 ,and Im staring real hard at that "Back-pack"