Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA Sports Market Report (SMR) price guide accuracy? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238902)

Hollywood42 04-27-2017 09:44 AM

PSA Sports Market Report (SMR) price guide accuracy?

I'm just working my way deeper into the vintage world now, and while looking up some sets that I'd like to tackle in the future, I stumbled upon PSA's Sports Market Report (SMR)- Basically a price guide for PSA graded cards from different sets. Can someone provide some feedback on how accurate this is? I know that Beckett's price guide is pretty much obsolete now, but I hadn't heard of the PSA SMR before and don't know how closely I should try to use it

For example, here's the SMR for T206 White Borders- https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguid...te-border/1055

How closely should I be using this to look up target prices for specifically graded cards? I.e, Home Run Baker's T206 White Border in a PSA 4 is currently marked at $225- Is it generally accurate or helpful to look up prices in this way? If so, how should I use that number in what I try to buy copies at? (i.e. trying to buy something for lower, higher, or right at that number). Is the SMR generally more accurate for certain sets or types of players? I could see this tool working better for the better names and less well for the commons, but that's just me guessing. From the little research I've done, almost all the copies of cards I've looked at on eBay are listed as BINs for much higher than the corresponding price on the SMR- Is this to be expected?

I really don't know much of anything about this, so wanted to get some feedback from the community- I appreciate the help!

Taxman 04-27-2017 09:49 AM

Prices

You should join vintagecardprices.com for most recent market prices.

sterlingfox 04-27-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxman (Post 1655083)
You should join vintagecardprices.com for most recent market prices.

+1

PSA SMR values are mostly useless when it comes to true market value. VCP is much more useful.

Without VCP, you can use eBay and Auction House recent sales. ListingHistory.com offers eBay sales data going all the way back to 2014. Cardtarget.com is a free to use site similar to VCP, but not nearly as good.

Also, don't go exclusively based on the number that you see on the slab. Look at the card closely. After a while, you'll start to get a feel for what a card should look like at any given grade, and you'll be able to spot those that are under-graded, as well as those that are too generously graded. Use that knowledge to skew value up/down accordingly.

KingFisk 04-27-2017 10:04 AM

While not perfect, VCP is an indispensable tool. Well worth the subscription.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-27-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfisk (Post 1655088)
while not perfect, vcp is an indispensable tool. Well worth the subscription.

Sent from my sm-g920v using tapatalk

+10000

Hollywood42 04-27-2017 10:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. That's an expensive subscription tho :eek:

Yankees1964 04-27-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood42 (Post 1655103)

As a collector the subscription will pay for it self at least once if you are a casual collector and many times over if you make a lot of purchases. I could not live without it.

Snapolit1 04-27-2017 11:16 AM

I have VCP too and appreciate it. But if you want to avoid a subscription I'd suggest a 1-2 punch:

1. do an Ebay seach for sold items (go advanced search, click on sold items) and type in name of card and see what recent sales have been

2. do Google searches for the name of card and condition; should turn up the last year or two (or more) of auction site sales.

sterlingfox 04-27-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

That's what I thought at first too, but all of the other tools I used for research before VCP just paled in comparison.

I also got the Silver subscription to start and regretted it. Having the pictures of the cards is very much worth the difference.

If you're serious about buying vintage graded cards, get the yearly VCP gold sub and don't look back.

nat 04-27-2017 11:32 AM

I don't have VCP (I don't spend enough to make it worthwhile), but SMR is worthless.

The "buy it now" prices on Ebay are almost always high. Lots of those cards sit there for months or years without selling. If you look at completed sales on ebay you can see the ones that actually sold, and the prices that they got.

Gobucsmagic74 04-27-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Find a buddy in the hobby who has a subscription and is willing to send you screen shots of the cards you need information on when needed. :D

Hollywood42 04-27-2017 01:24 PM

That just about sounds like the best option for now! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1655125)
Find a buddy in the hobby who has a subscription and is willing to send you screen shots of the cards you need information on when needed. :D

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I don't think I'll be buying enough for awhile for it to make sense for me to subscribe to VCP, but I will definitely keep it in mind in the future if I do get more heavily into vintage

As a somewhat related followup question- Is there any place to avoid buying vintage from? Someone mentioned eBay BINs are often very high, so might want to stay away from those, but other than that, anything to consider? eBay auctions vs. auction houses vs. COMC vs. other places I'm unaware of?

bn2cardz 04-27-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood42 (Post 1655188)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I don't think I'll be buying enough for awhile for it to make sense for me to subscribe to VCP, but I will definitely keep it in mind in the future if I do get more heavily into vintage

As a somewhat related followup question- Is there any place to avoid buying vintage from? Someone mentioned eBay BINs are often very high, so might want to stay away from those, but other than that, anything to consider? eBay auctions vs. auction houses vs. COMC vs. other places I'm unaware of?

Already mentioned, but CardTarget is free to use. It does include pictures as well. I don't find it as smooth as it use to be, but it is still effective.

I had VCP for about a year and found it was a waste of my money personally as I was able to find most of the information myself through free resources, not all the time, but enough to not make VCP worth my money.

pclpads 04-27-2017 01:36 PM

You sound similar to me. Not a dealer or a big buyer. I just have a few specific issues and names I am interested in acquiring. VCP would be a waste of $$$ for my limited pursuits. Always have found sufficient sold pricing models on Card Target and feebay.

sterlingfox 04-27-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood42 (Post 1655188)

Deals can be had anywhere, even on eBay BINs. In fact, some of my very best purchases have been eBay BINs, but as a whole, yes, they tend to be on the high side most of the time.

The best way to find a deal on what you're looking for is to first do your research on market value, and then search all the venues (eBay, AHs, card shows, B/S/T on Net54, COMC, etc).

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-27-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1655193)
Already mentioned, but CardTarget is free to use. It does include pictures as well. I don't find it as smooth as it use to be, but it is still effective.

I had VCP for about a year and found it was a waste of my money personally as I was able to find most of the information myself through free resources, not all the time, but enough to not make VCP worth my money.

Just tried Card target and wanted to cry. It is so confusing and isn't working

sterlingfox 04-27-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1655200)
Just tried Card target and wanted to cry. It is so confusing and isn't working

I feel the same way about Card Target - it's too confusing and doesn't work well at all. If I had to give up VCP, I'd stick to ListingHistory.com

bn2cardz 04-27-2017 02:16 PM

As I stated it isn't as smooth as it once was, but it still works fine for me and I get the information I typically need.

ls7plus 04-27-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1655086)
+1

PSA SMR values are mostly useless when it comes to true market value. VCP is much more useful.

Without VCP, you can use eBay and Auction House recent sales. ListingHistory.com offers eBay sales data going all the way back to 2014. Cardtarget.com is a free to use site similar to VCP, but not nearly as good.

Also, don't go exclusively based on the number that you see on the slab. Look at the card closely. After a while, you'll start to get a feel for what a card should look like at any given grade, and you'll be able to spot those that are under-graded, as well as those that are too generously graded. Use that knowledge to skew value up/down accordingly.

+++1

You nailed it!

Regards,

Larry

ngnichols 04-27-2017 05:23 PM

Another vote for VCP here. It may not give you an up-to-the minute idea of trends/cards getting hot, but it definitely will give you an idea of where the card may be headed and trends throughout the year of where cards spike and then drop.