Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: "The Bloody Sock" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162162)

goodtricks 01-25-2013 03:11 PM

OT: "The Bloody Sock"

Any guesses where this one will end up?

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...70-temaa012513

Sean 01-25-2013 03:17 PM

Can someone clarify this for me? The listing refers to the bloody sock worn by Schilling in game 2 of the World Series, but the "bloody sock" game was game 6 against the Yankees. So this is a different sock?

conor912 01-25-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1078410)
Can someone clarify this for me? The listing refers to the bloody sock worn by Schilling in game 2 of the World Series, but the "bloody sock" game was game 6 against the Yankees. So this is a different sock?

i was wondering the same thing...

glchen 01-25-2013 03:21 PM

Different sock. There were two socks. Schilling threw away the first sock from the game against the Yankees.

goodtricks 01-25-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1078412)
Different sock. There were two socks. Schilling threw away the first sock from the game against the Yankees.

This is referenced in the write up.

Jlighter 01-25-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1078412)

Wow this guy is dumb. First he throws away a valuable SOCK, then goes bankrupt starting a video game company. Now he has to sell what I would imagine is one of his most cherished possessions.

doug.goodman 01-25-2013 03:36 PM

I would hope that a sock doesn't rank very far up his list of "most cherished possessions", especially since it is not "the" sock.

yanks12025 01-25-2013 03:49 PM

This isn't even the real bloody sock. When you think of Curt and his bloody sock, it's the game against the yankees not the world series. I think it would be funny to test his blood for steroids.

Sean 01-25-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1078416)
Wow this guy is dumb. First he throws away a valuable SOCK, then goes bankrupt starting a video game company. Now he has to sell what I would imagine is one of his most cherished possessions.

Yeah, he doesn't sound too bright, but he's got Lenny Dykstra beat:D. At least Curt isn't headed to prison.

Jlighter 01-25-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1078422)
I would hope that a sock isn't "his most cherished possession", especially since it is not "the" sock.

Well, I said one of in front of most.

This Sock is symbolic, not just of the playoff series, but of his colossal effort. It shows his BLOOD, sweat and tears. A tangible item representing his past feat. I'm sure if he wasn't in financial trouble it would still be in his possession.

kmac32 01-25-2013 06:25 PM

My thought is this is disgusting. Who would want a bloody sock even if it is Shilling's? Kind of like owning Barry Bond's jock strap. Guess different people spend their money in different ways.

Sean 01-25-2013 06:41 PM

I remember in a Mastro auction in the late 1990s a bar owner auctioned a wooden leg that had belonged to Bill Veeck. I don't know who would buy such a thing.

Bocabirdman 01-25-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1078500)
I remember in a Mastro auction in the late 1990s a bar owner auctioned a wooden leg that had belonged to Bill Veeck. I don't know who would buy such a thing.

A one-legged fan of Eddie Gaedel?:D

doug.goodman 01-25-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlighter (Post 1078469)
Well, I said one of in front of most.

This Sock is symbolic, not just of the playoff series, but of his colossal effort. It shows his BLOOD, sweat and tears. A tangible item representing his past feat. I'm sure if he wasn't in financial trouble it would still be in his possession.

I reworded my original note to quote you better, while retaining my point.

"this" sock is actually "a" sock that makes us think about "the" sock.

As a collector, I wouldn't want to have an item on display in my house which would cause amazed exclamations from many who saw it as they remember seeing "that sock on tv!", to which I would have to respond "Well, it's not actually THAT sock"

To each his own when it comes to collectibles, I just hope whoever buys it gets it graded by a reputable third party.

sdkammeyer 01-25-2013 08:49 PM

I wonder what Buckner's sh*t stained underwear would have went for?

You know some rich Yankee fan would have hung some $100,000 poopy underwear on their wall.

conor912 01-26-2013 10:59 AM

this is absurd. its not even "the" sock". it's worthless as far as i'm concerned.

EvilKing00 01-26-2013 12:57 PM

As this isnt "THE SOCK" but a sock, um with blood on it, showing the "heart" if you will of shilling who played through it. AND IMO most impt, this was Bostons 1st WS win in 86 years, this was the one that broke the babes curse.

On the other hand, I would not be hanging a stinky bloody sock on a wall anywhere in my home, rofl. BUT im not a Red sox fan. I think a fan would pay for it though, a guess $1000.

Im not a big time collector like alot of you guys here but if your not a sox fan would you display this next to all your other cool awesome stuff??

Bocabirdman 01-26-2013 01:00 PM

My wife would probably wash it as a surprise for me.:eek:

drc 01-26-2013 01:02 PM

My only opinion on the subject is I can't stand Curt Schilling. Opinionated loud mouth jocks who tell you who you should vote for on talk shows have never been my cup of tea.

That's not to say that's the only type of athlete I can't stand. In anticipation of T.O.'s bloody sock at auction, I can say that prima donna, team cancers, have their own reality shows athletes might beat of Curt Schilling.

I have a longer list and will post it later today. I need time to type it up . . . Let's see, anyone associated with the Yankees and the Cowboys. Oh yeah, and the Bears. Anyone who appears in a commercial with Hulk Hogan. Communists of course. Any baseball player who wears his bill tilted to the side. Anyone who's middle name starts with an M. Any NHL player dumb enough to try and jump into the stands after a goal. Any NHL player. Any NFL player who owns a Winger album.