Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone familiar with this Babe Ruth Postcard Issue? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183773)

Greenmonster 02-23-2014 09:05 AM

Anyone familiar with this Babe Ruth Postcard Issue?

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone familiar with this Babe Ruth issue?

ullmandds 02-23-2014 11:02 AM

never seen it...but I love it!!!!

Leon 02-23-2014 11:19 AM

Never seen it before. His eyes being closed is a bit disconcerting. Neat card and it's always great to see something not too known, with the Babe on it.

pencil1974 02-23-2014 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the best I could find for you:
https://www.playle.com/realphoto/photop.php

pencil1974 02-23-2014 11:26 AM

Found this for you too.
http://centuryoldcards.com/1920/1920-30Postcards.html

Not much info but its a start I guess. lol.

baseballart 02-23-2014 11:28 AM

It is the same image as on the dust jacket of Babe Ruth, Home Run King, published in 1920

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/29/929...dafdc6d3_o.jpg

caramelcard 02-23-2014 11:31 AM

This looks modern to me from the looks of the back.

Rob

Jaybird 02-23-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelcard (Post 1245440)
This looks modern to me from the looks of the back.

Rob

Have to say that I am inclined to agree. The back looks like a stamp rather than printed back. We've been seeing these a bit over the last few years, though not this particular back. How is the fidelity of the image when looked at through a loop? Print dots or photographic?

Greenmonster 02-23-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 1245483)
Have to say that I am inclined to agree. The back looks like a stamp rather than printed back. We've been seeing these a bit over the last few years, though not this particular back. How is the fidelity of the image when looked at through a loop? Print dots or photographic?

Hi Jason...good to hear from you. I have my concerns too about the vintage of this card. The stamp box (1917) doesn't really match up with the picture (1920) but I could rationalize that away with old RPPC stock bring used.

A quick search on the publisher Societe Anonyme, shows that this was an organization of New York based art enthusiasts who did publish postcards. All other subjects seem to be art related, may be Ruth coming to New York was such a big deal that they did a card with his image...??

I don't have the card, I'm considering a purchase and was hoping I'd find a Net54 member with another I could use as a comparison.

Runscott 02-23-2014 03:37 PM

glchen 02-23-2014 07:37 PM

Nice card. Looks like Frank W has sold this card before: Link

Runscott 02-23-2014 08:27 PM

Greenmonster 02-23-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1245674)
I bought these two well-done Ruth fakes over ten years ago - not sure which back goes with which postcard, but I probably have other images on one of my back-up drives.

Thanks Scott..I've seen the AZO and CYKO fakes, this PRC back with publisher name is new to me, I don't have any postcard in my collection (real or fake) that has that back. I can't seem to find one on line either.

I did notice that the link Gary provided had this postcard along with two other know Ruth fakes (one of which you've shown too).

At this point I have doubts about this card being authentic.

steve B 02-24-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1245674)
I bought these two well-done Ruth fakes over ten years ago - not sure which back goes with which postcard, but I probably have other images on one of my back-up drives.

Those look really well done.

What's the pointers to them being fake? If there are fake RPPCs of Ruth there are probably some of other interesting subjects and it would be good to know how to spot them.

Those two Ruths would fool me unless I had them in hand and it's a paper difference.

Steve b

joeadcock 02-24-2014 06:52 AM

Jim

I bought the one that Frank W had.

I sent it go SGC and was graded. When I can, I will post it. Its was real(at least the one I have, I dont know about that one you show)

I do not recall what the back looks like, as I bought it quite awhile back. The back you show does not look familiar. I'll scan front and back for you when I can get to the postcard.

smokelessjoe 02-24-2014 07:40 AM

Part of a Match...

Here is a match at-least on the left side text.....

http://artsalesindex.artinfo.com/asi/lots/4902284

smokelessjoe 02-24-2014 07:47 AM

According to this.

According to this write-up, Society Anonyme was only at the 47th Street address for one year - 1920.

In 1920 Dreier and her friend and infamous fellow artist Marcel Duchamp decided to form a new organization devoted to exhibiting and promoting modern art to Americans. (Duchamp was one of the most provocative Dada/Surrealist artists of his time. He is best known for his Cubist/Futurist-inspired painting Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2 which scandalized the American audience at the 1913 Armory Show in New York City, and the urinal that he found and exhibited as the sculpture Fountain by the artist “R. Mutt”). They invited Man Ray, a Dada/Surrealist artist and avant-garde photographer to join them in their efforts.It was Man Ray who came up with the name “Société Anonyme,” which he thought literally meant “Anonymous Society” in French. Duchamp informed him that in French the true meaning is equivalent to the English word “Incorporated.” Drier liked the name because it had the ring of impartiality – it put the focus on the art, not the individual artists and puts a capitalist spin on an anti-materialist art organization. Drier rented two small rooms at 19 East 47th Street in New York City for the exhibit space and the library of the fledgling organization. When it was officially incorporated in New York, it became more Dada joke since it now meant “Incorporated, Inc.”On April 30, 1920, the Société Anonyme, with the now-appended title “Museum of Modern Art: 1920” had its first exhibition. Duchamp designed the space with a neutral, industrial look. The floor was ribbed rubber and the walls and woodwork were a pale blue. The exhibit featured the European artists Jacques Villon (half-brother of Marcel Duchamp), Alexander Archipenko, Juan Gris, Heinrich Vogler, Vincent van Gogh and the sculptor Brancusi. American artists included Joseph Stella, Patrick Henry Bruce, James Daugherty, and works by New York Dadaists Duchamp, Man Ray, Morton Schamberg and others.Dreier had hoped to raise enough money to establish a permanent space to exhibit modern art, but wasn’t successful. She gave up the 47th Street space after a year but the Société Anonyme continued to function as a museum-without-walls by holding exhibits, lectures and symposia in other galleries, clubs, workers’ centers and rental spaces. The Société also produced publications and had an acquisitions program. It continued to draw on the talents of international artists including Cubists, Dadaists, Futurists, Expressionists, Constructivists and other progressive artistic genres.Drier’s real hope of founding the first permanent museum of modern art in the United States was eclipsed when the Museum of Modern Art (now commonly referred to as MoMA) in New York City was established in 1929 by a more diplomatic Alfred Barr, the museum’s founding director, with very substantial financial backing from its most prominent supporters.Villon Duchamp drawing on Society Anonyme postcard.The postcards shown here are all from the Société’s first year on East 47th Street. Oddly enough these postcards are all real photo postcards that can hardly do justice to some of the most colorful and exciting artworks of that time. Other artists whose work is shown on the postcards (and are not already mentioned above) are Louis Eilshemius, Pablo Picasso, Kurt Schwitters, Heinrich Campendonk and R. Villon-Duchamp (brother of Marcel Duchamp). - See more at: http://www.antiquetrader.com/antique....Vi90hFMg.dpuf

deadballpaul 02-24-2014 08:10 AM

Posted the wrong PC. Thought Joe was talking about a Ruth portrait RPPC.

Bicem 02-24-2014 08:59 AM

If this Ruth rppc was real, it would be worth A LOT. Cool Ruth image, early date, and probably most important... the Société Anonyme link.

However, as noted above, the reverse doesn't look good. The back looks stamped vs printed... compare it to the genuine Société Anonyme pc back and note the difference.

http://artinfo-images-350.s3.amazona...07888/34_a.jpg

Also, no Société Anonyme credit anywhere on the front is not a good sign. Should at least have the S©A. Ideally would also have a photographer credit.

Wouldn't be surprised to see SGC slab one, they are pretty clueless when it comes to postcards.

smokelessjoe 02-24-2014 09:33 AM

Reuben Nakian

How can an 8 foot statue of "The Babe" go missing???? This made me think of the OPs postcard....

http://www.nakian.org/Babe_Ruth.html

Runscott 02-24-2014 09:52 AM

We had a nice board melee over ten years ago regarding this, so I'll refrain from discussing further. I had always assumed that they were removed from the market at that time. I felt like I should give my 2 cents in this thread since I was involved way back when, but that's it for me regarding these particular items. I can't be the RPPC police :)

Edited: I've removed all of my other posts related to this topic. This is slowly turning into a repeat of ten years ago, and I can assure you that it was no fun then, and nothing was accomplished.

1880nonsports 02-24-2014 10:22 AM

in looking through my 2 real photo postcard guides

published in the early 1990's by Bob Ward and the Antique Paper Guild that I purchased when I was chasing some of these - I couldn't find much relevent to the discussion except a reference to a "bible" of sorts "Prairie Fires and Paper Moons, The American Photographic Postcard" where one could presumably research the back configuration and stamp box. If it isn't a photograph when looking at it with a loupe - it isn't real. If it IS a photograph more steps need to be taken with regard to the verso. Previous comments about attribution, "stamped" vs. printed, etc. are appropriate starting points. Making copy images has been around nearly as long as photography as has counterfitting for profit. Hard to tell without the item in hand but I lean to the no good camp as the image appears too flat.

no guarantees whether written or implied.

1880nonsports 02-24-2014 10:26 AM

interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadballpaul (Post 1245766)
Frank had two of them for sale a few years ago, & I bought the other one.

that your stamp box is listed as circa 1910. I'm sure there was some overlap in production but surprised at the length of the apparent gap......

joeadcock 02-24-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1245776)
If this Ruth rppc was real, it would be worth A LOT. .......Wouldn't be surprised to see SGC slab one, they are pretty clueless when it comes to postcards.

Jeff, yur hurtin me.

Bicem 02-24-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeadcock (Post 1245815)
Jeff, yur hurtin me.

sorry! (but they are)

ullmandds 02-24-2014 11:09 AM

So they are all fake? What about the one that Joe bought from Frank that was graded?

thecatspajamas 02-24-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1880nonsports (Post 1245809)
published in the early 1990's by Bob Ward and the Antique Paper Guild.

Henry, do you have the actual title of these? And are they worthwhile as references? (I assume so, since you're still referring to them). I'm always looking for "good" references to add to the library, but haven't picked up any related to RPPC's as yet.

joeadcock 02-24-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1245821)
sorry! (but they are)

Jeff

Just kiddin. I've been burned before. But i'm all for the "benefit of the doubt"

Ill try and get it tomorrow and post it and have everyone have a whack at whether SGC misgraded it.

baseballart 02-24-2014 06:41 PM

Any thread that has a post with a reference to Marcel Duchamps has to be good for the collective intellect of Net54 ;). Luckily (perhaps) for this postcard, there are no Magritte references.

Jaybird 02-24-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1245828)
So they are all fake? What about the one that Joe bought from Frank that was graded?

I've always questioned the ones on Frank's page. For the reasons Jeff mentioned and also because anytime a PC with those images comes up, it's a fake. So, for the ones Frank to have sold to be the only real ones, I question that. More than likely they are fake like the rest of them.

And Jeff makes a good point. SGC doesn't know anything about postcards. I realize some board members rely on them for slabbing postcards with HOFers on them, but I've seen as many bad attribution as good ones. And heard as many stories of them rejecting obvious cards and slabbing questionable ones. It's just not their area of expertise.

joeadcock 02-25-2014 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is all I got, a front scan. Found it in my scan file. Dont keep majority of my stuff near and it takes a bit to get it(God/family/career). Sorry.

ullmandds 02-25-2014 06:21 PM

With my little knowledge of postcards I would say that scan is inconclusive and a back scan would be very helpful... Is there one on Franks site?

Runscott 02-25-2014 06:42 PM

Even holding them in your hands and looking at the fronts, they will be inconclusive - they are RPFPC's.

ullmandds 02-25-2014 06:51 PM

Shouldn't someone like you Scott be able to tell if the photo is period?

Runscott 02-25-2014 07:24 PM

removed, as I see one of our board members would prefer to live in blissful ignorance.

Pete, I am not taking any further bait :)

joeadcock 02-25-2014 07:55 PM

Thanks for the conjecture.

Runscott 02-25-2014 08:00 PM

Edited: I've removed all of my other posts related to this topic. This is slowly turning into a repeat of ten years ago, and I can assure you that it was no fun then, and nothing was accomplished. I have no inclination to keep anyone from living in blissful ignorance if that's what they enjoy.

Greenmonster 02-25-2014 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeadcock (Post 1246405)
Here is all I got, a front scan. Found it in my scan file. Dont keep majority of my stuff near and it takes a bit to get it(God/family/career). Sorry.

Yours is published by Photo-Roto Inc....interesting, here it is font & back......and other Photo-Roto comparisons.

The PRC backs match up...the Will Rogers has smudging too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-SE...-/291073681401

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILL-ROGERS-...-/191073120417

ullmandds 02-25-2014 09:42 PM

censorship blows!

joeadcock 02-26-2014 04:47 AM

Thanks for the scan Jim.

Jaybird 02-26-2014 09:36 PM

Interesting, Jim. Seeing that Will Rogers PC is interesting because the photo quality is very poor on it as well. I wish I could put it under a loop and take a look. I suppose if you could get it at the right price, it would be worth a shot.

The Sandlot Kid 02-28-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokelessjoe (Post 1245789)
How can an 8 foot statue of "The Babe" go missing???? This made me think of the OPs postcard....

http://www.nakian.org/Babe_Ruth.html

Yikes... Ruth in Span~dex!

If I was Ruth I would of destroyed it my self...

Bicem 03-01-2014 09:45 AM

Did you end up buying or passing Jim?

Greenmonster 03-01-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1248124)
Did you end up buying or passing Jim?

It's being shipped to me. I wanted to take a good look. Will let you know.

deadballpaul 03-12-2014 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, inspired by this topic, I sent the Ruth postcard that I bought from Frank to SGC, & they would not grade it. Here's a quote from an email reply I received from SGC. "I just spoke to Bob Luce, Senior Grader. He said that he has a suspicion that the card may not be from that era based on the look and feel of the card. And we could not confirm the date."

I think SGC made the right call on this one. I have always found it much easier to authenticate the photo engraved cards vs the RPPCs. I suppose I just haven't handled enough of them. Its an expensive lesson, but I'm learning....

joeadcock 03-13-2014 03:09 PM

Paul

Sorry man

ullmandds 03-14-2014 05:33 AM

bummer. PAul...I hope u didn't spend too much on it?

deadballpaul 03-14-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1253967)
bummer. PAul...I hope u didn't spend too much on it?

200 bucks. Its the most I've ever spent on something that turned out to be a fake.

JeremyW 02-07-2019 02:52 PM

This postcard just sold on Ebay for $2,350. Has the forum's opinion changed? I was interested in bidding, but after doing some research here, I was concerned.

RCMcKenzie 02-07-2019 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From Wikipedia-- "Societe Anonyme (art) was an art organization founded in 1920 by Katherine Dreier, Man Ray, and Marcel Duchamp."

The term is also a legal term, roughly "private corporation".

The Babe Ruth book that Max posted may have a photo credit for the front cover.
Here's a foreign rppc that uses the term. Not the NY art company.

If it's not a modern piece, it would be pretty cool if the photo is by Man Ray. That seems more likely than "someone took some left-over supplies of Man Ray and made a baseball card" or whatever the rppc expert was quoted in the auction description.