Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you feel like we do..... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=64347)

Archive 12-11-2003 03:37 PM

Do you feel like we do.....

Posted By: <b>Wonkaticket&nbsp; </b><p>Just some of my thoughts….(from a “Bored” Member)<BR><BR>I don’t want to be a jerk me being relatively new to this forum as well. But let me tell you what I think anyway. I love baseball and I love baseball cards even more like most of you I eat sleep and dream of cards and collecting. With that said I also have a pretty decent collection an am in no way new to the hobby, my knowledge is also very extensive regarding collecting. The thing that I fell in love with about this forum was the chance to interact with others who have the same passion for collecting that I do. Also to learn things I didn’t know. I came to realize something else about this forum that as much as you and I know about the hobby, there are others new to the hobby or on the virtual razors edge of joining this history rich hobby. The sad fact of the manner is that there is very little postings or discussions regarding vintage items or even sometimes the hobby itself. Many of the posts are the same thing over and over, I think by now we all realize that PRO, AAA and other grading companies are a joke. But do we really need to post a link to everyone that ever surfaces on Ebay? Other posts seem to just be several members or non-members just bickering like a couple of old bingo ladies over a $10 jackpot. It’s coming up on New Year’s I have a resolution to extend to all board members. Lets focus and spend the time we spend posting argumentative posts and pointless obvious links to topics we have beat like a dead horse. Instead lets focus on discussing cards and topics that new and old collectors will find useful and meaningful. I know it’s a crazy idea being able to come to the forum and finding 20 new posts that are really interesting and educational vs. 100 posts on the same old same old or 1 post that’s a mile long that really is nothing more than two grown adults fighting like a couple of school girls. I believe Elliott is the forum master. First of all Elliott I would like to thank for the past year of letting me be a part of your forum I have enjoyed it very much. I however do have a few suggestions this one being the most obvious. It took me 2 seconds to sign up I think all members too have the right to post should sign up. No more anonymous posts. It won’t stop all people from posting silly things but it might make people a little more honest. I just can’t imagine with the complexity of this hobby and the knowledge that resides on this board that we can’t find better topics to discuss or at least some new ones to fight over.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR><BR>John<BR>

Archive 12-11-2003 05:05 PM

Posted By: <b>Aaron Michiel</b><p>(although I have to admit I enjoy the links to the latest outlandish scam on E-Bay--always good for a laugh). <BR><BR>I've been following the board for a few months now and am definitely curious about the collecting habits of the obviously passionate and advanced collectors that lurk or post often. <BR><BR>I would love to hear more posters tell stories of some of their more interesting hobby experiences and purchases. Even as simple as a "latest" purchase that someone is just excited they made. <BR><BR>I mean, seriously, chances are our friends, spouses and/or co-workers think we're nuts to spend so much time and money on pieces of cardboard or sweat-stained jerseys. This is the one place where we can definitely mingle with like-minded people who understand the madness. <BR><BR>Heck, not only understand it, but also get excited about it. I have a sports memorabilia display in my home office/den that I have meticulously built piece by piece over the last two and a half years. I love when I get the chance to show off my collection to guests only to inevitably realize they have no interest in the stuff and/or think I'm nuts. But to people around here, I know they understand the thrill I get from finally finding a long-sought after piece or putting the finishing touch on a collection or tracking down an incredible bargain under unusual circumstances. <BR><BR>There aren't too many places around where you'll find that kind of appreciation for vintage collectors such as ourselves. <BR><BR>So, anyway, I'd like to see more people share. Specifically: <BR><BR>1. How did you get into the hobby? <BR>2. How have your colleting interests changed or matured over time? <BR>3. What's your favorite piece? <BR>4. What's your favorite purchase? <BR>5. What's the best show/auction you've ever had? <BR>6. How do you display your collection? (And share pictures!)<BR>7. What your "the one that got away"? (I know we all have that one.)<BR>8. What's the most elusive piece you've ever found (or have yet to find) and why? <BR><BR>I could continue with many more examples... I just think there are some great stories out there and this site could be considerably more interesting and entertaining given the wealth of experienced and knowledgeable collectors here. You all have my (and I'm sure many others following this site) undivided attention.

Archive 12-11-2003 06:24 PM

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>but I'm sure you realize that members will disagree and this leads to bickering - it can't be stopped, and I'm not sure we want it to be stopped. Also, the people that really need to listen to your suggestions don't give a flip what you have to say - like "Anonymous Mike" who enjoys fighting and couldn't care less if it's over baseball cards or tiddly winks.<BR><BR>I think we need for a few things to occur, and both are reasonable expectations:<BR><BR>1) when the occasional jerk-wad appears on the board, like Anonymous Mike, make your effort to be congenial and helpful, then when he shows that he is insincere, ignore him. The Behrens brothers are single-handedly keeping this guy's threads near the top of the board, and this guy is loving the confrontation. No offense intended to Lee and Jay - I realize it's tough to ignore the guy, and I've succumbed to it a few times as well.<BR><BR>2) Elliot needs to delete the anonymous and otherwise totally useless and detrimental posts.<BR><BR>3) as you suggested, registration. I also think it's important that when someone registers for ANY forum, that they be required to answer a few simple questions, just so that the moderator can make a determination as to whether the forum is really appropriate for them. This guy would have been weeded out quickly.

Archive 12-11-2003 06:36 PM

Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>I think one problem is some of the better posts don't get many responses. I'll admit I tend to be more of a lurker, feeling there are more knowledgeable people that can answer peoples questions better.<BR><BR>Aaron, great topics. Why don't you post one a week and see if we can get some good threads going. How about everyone coming up with a good topic and posting it?

Archive 12-11-2003 07:34 PM

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I have posted my final response to "Mike".<BR><BR>I also agree that so good posts get no response. One in particular that I started that got zero response that amazed we ways a thread asking who was a "Friend of the Hall of Fame" member. I can't believe that no one reading these threads thinks this is realative and that I am the only person as a member on the board. I think sometimes responding out of curiousity is better then not responding at all.<BR><BR>I am ending this response to start another thread.<BR><BR>Soon,<BR><BR>Lee

Archive 12-11-2003 07:53 PM

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>too many board members keep their knowledge to themselves. I have started many threads that I was certain could be useful if the right people contributed, but in many cases they didn't. It was surprising at first, but now it doesn't surprise me at all to see all the wrong people contributing to a thread, when the true experts on the issue in question don't say a word - they seem to be using this board for marketing research.<BR><BR>One of the most disappointing was when I asked about stats for 19th century players - we have SO many experts in that area, but no one responded except Jay, and he didn't have an answer. I'm certain that if I were to write an article on the variances in statistics, that many of you would think I was an idiot because the information already exists - but if it does, you guys are keeping it to yourselves.<BR><BR>There have also been threads where I did not respond, knowing that several board members knew much more than I did about the subject, but then the thread would die with zero responses.<BR><BR>I'm sure one reason some people keep quite is because they don't want to get flamed by an idiot like "Anonymous Mike". Yet another reason why registration and cleaning up of garbage posts is a good idea.

Archive 12-11-2003 08:16 PM

Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I agree that sometimes when specific 'hard' questions or topics are posted there are no answers. This is sometimes because some (for whatever reason) don't wish to share information. Other times I think it's because the question is hard and no one has an answer.<BR><BR>I beleive that if certain posters wish that there were more threads on serious topics, they should start them. I'm sure that most readers would enjoy learning about new subjects, information and unique angles-- including if it was on hockey or whatever.<BR><BR>Compared to the readers of this board, there is a very small percentage who post regularly. Most of these posters know each other, if sometimes only through the board, the board tends to be largely social, jockular and, perhaps at times, exlusionary. However, if the lurkers choose not to post, they can't complain about the information that left from the board.