Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Winners of the First Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252378)

ezez420 03-11-2018 09:30 AM

Winners of the First Auction
 
I won a few including Jackie and...I am also one who helped shed some light on fake images. This time I will not be screwing around if they are trimmed, altered or tampared images.

However, if the are fairly then i will be sure to give them recognition they deserve.


http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=185850

ullmandds 03-11-2018 10:16 AM

As if 1 thread wasnt enough

Frank A 03-11-2018 10:18 AM

I bid on some stuff but didn't win any. I was afraid to push until I hear some comments from buyers.,

Leon 03-11-2018 10:21 AM

A very good hobby friend, whom I set up with at shows, emailed me last night and asked if this AH was ok? He said he won 3k in the auction. I directed him to the long thread and wished him luck.

darwinbulldog 03-11-2018 10:42 AM

How were the prices compared to what similar looking cards listed as trimmed would bring on eBay?

NYYFan63 03-11-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1756334)
I won a few including Jackie and...I am also one who helped shed some light on fake images. This time I will not be screwing around if they are trimmed, altered or tampared images.

However, if the are fairly then i will be sure to give them recognition they deserve.


http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=185850



Good luck!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullmandds 03-11-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1756358)
How were the prices compared to what similar looking cards listed as trimmed would bring on eBay?

really hard to tell...I just looked at VCP for prices of 52 topps robinsons. The one sold in cardiman for over 3K which is around psa 5 valuation. No authentics have sold anywhere near this price from what I see...then again this one "appears" nicer than any other A's I saw.

personally I think the cardiman one is trimmed...so according to vcp price is in the stratosphere...if it turns out to be altered.

cardsnstuff 03-11-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1756372)
really hard to tell...I just looked at VCP for prices of 52 topps robinsons. The one sold in cardiman for over 3K which is around psa 5 valuation. No authentics have sold anywhere near this price from what I see...then again this one "appears" nicer than any other A's I saw.

personally I think the cardiman one is trimmed...so according to vcp price is in the stratosphere...if it turns out to be altered.

Wow, that is amazing.

ezez420 03-11-2018 12:14 PM

Card does not look trimmed and has rough cut.

frankbmd 03-11-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1756400)
Card does not look trimmed and has rough cut.

“Rough” trim.:D

irv 03-11-2018 12:39 PM

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but my guy tells me we will never here from Candiman auctions ever again.

Some of the cards that didn't sell may pop somewhere else, but, imo, they will be blended in with other cards from another seller disguising them.

ezez420 03-11-2018 07:42 PM

Your Guy. What you can’t think for yourself and need someone to tell you what “he” thinks? What kind of crap is that? I think people are stupid if the DID NOT bid. With the trail of the post and the guarantees by the seller AND the fact that this can be paid with credit card you are a moron if you think otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1756407)
I hate to sound like a pessimist, but my guy tells me we will never here from Candiman auctions ever again.

Some of the cards that didn't sell may pop somewhere else, but, imo, they will be blended in with other cards from another seller disguising them.


pokerplyr80 03-11-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1756573)
Your Guy. What you can’t think for yourself and need someone to tell you what “he” thinks? What kind of crap is that? I think people are stupid if the DID NOT bid. With the trail of the post and the guarantees by the seller AND the fact that this can be paid with credit card you are a moron if you think otherwise.

Pretty sure he meant "my gut." I'd have to say I agree with Irv's assessment. Best of luck to those who took a gamble. But the smart money was on sitting out of this one.

ezez420 03-11-2018 10:24 PM

If that is what Irv meant then I apologize to him. I will be more than happy to share results but the auctioneer left plenty of recourse along with the thread if there if difficulty getting a refund if things are not authentic are greatly misgraded.

pokerplyr80 03-11-2018 11:22 PM

Please do. My fear was they would not be around long enough to honor their pledge to issue refunds for altered cards, among others already discussed in the other thread.

By the way I saw no mention of any pledge to refund cards that were greatly misgraded. My apologies if I managed to miss that post.

botn 03-11-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1756641)
By the way I saw no mention of any pledge to refund cards that were greatly misgraded. My apologies if I managed to miss that post.

They will not refund for cards that turn out to not be in the condition they state they "appear" to be in. I made this point several times in the original thread and Daniel had the same evasive explanation the 3 times I brought it up to him. This is most likely where buyers are gonna get crushed.

Cannot imagine wanting a card or a deal so much that I would risk doing business with people like this.

irv 03-12-2018 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1756575)
Pretty sure he meant "my gut." I'd have to say I agree with Irv's assessment. Best of luck to those who took a gamble. But the smart money was on sitting out of this one.

Thanks, Jesse, that is what I meant. I also see I spelt "Hear" wrong as well.

Guess I had better start proofreading a little more. :D

frankbmd 03-12-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1756663)
Thanks, Jesse, that is what I meant. I also see I spelt "Hear" wrong as well.

Guess I had better start proofreading a little more. :D


Another post may be required if you try to verify “spelt”. :D

ALR-bishop 03-12-2018 10:02 AM

Irv--I was disappointed to discover that I am apparently in the "stupid" group with the likes of you :)

slidekellyslide 03-12-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1756573)
I think people are stupid if the DID NOT bid.

What if I didn't bid because I didn't want to put any of my money into the pockets of grifters like the Battles family?

ezez420 03-12-2018 10:25 AM

Lets put it this way. If they are selling me a card labeled as NM and either trimmed, authentic or with wrinkles, paper loss etc they will be getting whatever cards back. And if that is the case that they can’t figure a 4 from and 8 then they should not be in business and when I am done will likely not.

I will not be screwing around. There is plenty of proof for a credit card company on this board from the auctioneer themselves. And they know that. If I did not give them the benefit of the doubt I would not have bid. So I am. Everyone gets a fair shot.

They will either get praise by me or I will be a very bad person they could have sold a sh*t card to. Lets see.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

commishbob 03-12-2018 10:30 AM

I placed a bid on one card...minimum bid on the raw T206 Chief Bender. The original thread hadn't really gotten rolling at that point. I was outbid the next day and didn't attempt to bid on it again for two reasons. First of all I had a price in my head I was willing to pay for that card in that condition. Factoring in commission and shipping the bid that topped mine pushed past my price point. Secondly...as the the thread plowed ahead I began to have second thoughts about the auction. Like many others I'll be watching to see how this plays out. If people are generally satisfied with what they receive I wouldn't rule out bidding in future auctions.

felada 03-12-2018 12:02 PM

I think it remains to be seen if any of the high bidders are ‘winners’

ibuysportsephemera 03-12-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1756733)
Lets put it this way. If they are selling me a card labeled as NM and either trimmed, authentic or with wrinkles, paper loss etc they will be getting whatever cards back. And if that is the case that they can’t figure a 4 from and 8 then they should not be in business and when I am done will likely not.

I will not be screwing around. There is plenty of proof for a credit card company on this board from the auctioneer themselves. And they know that. If I did not give them the benefit of the doubt I would not have bid. So I am. Everyone gets a fair shot.

They will either get praise by me or I will be a very bad person they could have sold a sh*t card to. Lets see.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally disagree. Good luck "making" Candiman take your cards back if you feel that they weren't as described. Also good luck getting the credit card company to issue you a refund if the cards are actually sent to you.

I hope I am wrong (for the people who decided to take a chance bidding), but I think that there is a 50/50 chance that there will be a lot of unhappy people when this is all said and done.

Jeff

ezez420 03-12-2018 12:59 PM

I guess you do not have AMEX

ibuysportsephemera 03-12-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1756802)
I guess you do not have AMEX

Actually I do....good luck with these guys.

Jeff

ezez420 03-12-2018 01:37 PM

I will say this is the only auction house with no voicemail and straight to a cell phone voicemail.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OriolesHOF 03-12-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1756810)
I will say this is the only auction house with no voicemail and straight to a cell phone voicemail.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting business model, hopefully, they're not operating out of the trunk of their car.

slidekellyslide 03-12-2018 03:12 PM

Interesting that many here believe that they had better be on the up and up or they'll never make it. Explain Coach's Corner to me. Explain to me how they've been in business for decades now. The only thing the Battles did here that is any different from their ebay model is they cut out ebay and paypal. Good luck getting satisfaction.

jfkheat 03-12-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriolesHOF (Post 1756823)
Interesting business model, hopefully, they're not operating out of the trunk of their car.

They are probably operating out of Mama's kitchen

iowadoc77 03-12-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1756846)
Interesting that many here believe that they had better be on the up and up or they'll never make it. Explain Coach's Corner to me. Explain to me how they've been in business for decades now. The only thing the Battles did here that is any different from their ebay model is they cut out ebay and paypal. Good luck getting satisfaction.

Like Mick Jagger said...

irv 03-12-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1756699)
Another post may be required if you try to verify “spelt”. :D

There are many sites/posts that say I am not wrong, but thought you might like this one and the comments within. :D
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Spelt

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1756721)
Irv--I was disappointed to discover that I am apparently in the "stupid" group with the likes of you :)

Sorry to hear you got placed in the same group as me, Al. I wasn't intentional. ;)

frankbmd 03-12-2018 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=irv;1756921]There are many sites/posts that say I am not wrong, but thought you might like this one and the comments within. :D
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Spelt

Slang and internet jargon promulgated by urban dictionaries are hardly a substitute for the king's English.

Although the word is recognized by the ultimate source authority, the Words With Friends Cheat as well as the contemporary Wikipedia, the definition provided is as follows

Spelt is dinkel wheat or hulled wheat. It is a type of wheat cultivated since 5000 BC. It was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age until medieval times. It survives as a relict crop and has recently found a new market as a "health food". The benefits of spelt are delineated below in this educational image

Attachment 308610

There is no second definition.

As a long standing member of the Net54 grammar police, I would suggest that you eat more spelt. Your colon will thank you and the other health benefits listed will serve you well.

With spelt's 7000 year history on the planet it is no wonder that your spellcheck overlooked your linguistic deficiencies.

Hopefully Barry Sloate, the grand poobah of the Net54 grammar police, will chime in with an endorsement of this post.

Be well and if you need some recipes to make spelt more palatable, feel free to contact me.


Peter_Spaeth 03-12-2018 09:33 PM

Having tried it, there's a good reason it was abandoned in medieval times. There are far better tasting yuppie/yoga chick/new age/gender neutral whole grains.

Butch7999 03-13-2018 01:02 AM

We're with Irv on this one. We've long dreamt of a renewed acceptance of "spelt."

Stampsfan 03-13-2018 01:08 AM

I didn't realize that's what he meant. I just thought he spelled "spelt" wrong.

barrysloate 03-13-2018 07:51 AM

Never tasted spelt or knew that such a food existed. I'm happy using "spelled" as I like to be grammatically sound.

T206Collector 03-13-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1757070)
Never tasted spelt or knew that such a food existed. I'm happy using "spelled" as I like to be grammatically sound.

I didn’t realize you could catch smelt in the Long Island Sound... :rolleyes:

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-13-2018 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1757094)
I didn’t realize you could catch smelt in the Long Island Sound... :rolleyes:

At first I thought you mispelt smelled...

Paul S 03-13-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1757094)
I didn’t realize you could catch smelt in the Long Island Sound... :rolleyes:

No, but you can spot Coney Island whitefish:o

(Today must be a snow-day for Net54 Nor'easterners):)

BruceinGa 03-13-2018 10:16 AM

Is spelt a spoiled Smelt?:rolleyes:

ALR-bishop 03-13-2018 10:25 AM

You can make good garum from spoiled smelt but not spelt


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.