Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buyer Protection (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81315)

Archive 06-08-2006 07:38 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>John Kal</b><p> I am shopping for an expensive card. I've located 2 examples which are owned by private collectors. I will be sending either $12K or $8K in the mail. Is there any way to protect myself? Any thing such as an escrow (sp?) service I can use. Would a Postal money order offer some protection? This is a first time for this kind of thing and I'm getting antsy.

Archive 06-08-2006 07:44 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>Steve M.</b><p>you locate a trusted Board Member who lives in the area of the seller to act as an escrowee. Where is the seller?

Archive 06-08-2006 07:53 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>John Kal</b><p> He's in LA. I was thinking if I had the guy sign for a check with registered mail. That would be a start. At least I would have proof he has the check.

Archive 06-08-2006 09:53 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>Let us know who he is. There's a good chance somebody here knows the person.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive 06-08-2006 09:58 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>John Kal</b><p> He is rick@rarecards. I don't know the other guy yet.

Archive 06-08-2006 10:09 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>I don't know him.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive 06-08-2006 10:13 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>I'd be very leery-- the site implies, but never states, that the owner has an incredible array of high-end cards. The slab folks need to check this out: either a great source of high-end cards, or a serious scan scammer.<br /><br />John, there used to be escrow services that hobbyists could use to ensure their money would not be released until they had received their purchase-- does anyone know if any of those are still around?<br /><br />Tim<br /><br />

Archive 06-08-2006 10:13 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Please email me off the board to discuss.

Archive 06-08-2006 10:16 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>Craig</b><p>I met Rick at the National a few years ago.<br />He does own the cards on his website.<br />Prices are kind of high but he isn't a scam artist

Archive 06-08-2006 10:19 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>I have seen him buy high dollar cards on ebay before.<br /><br />

Archive 06-08-2006 10:38 AM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>anthony</b><p>i have another option i'll discuss in email or over the phone with you...<br /><br />you could send a cashier's check something like overnight, fedex, registered mail only...require a signature, i dont think the post office will insure checks/money orders/gift cards/etc...<br /><br />i wired money from my credit union directly to a bank in china a few years back, it cost about $35 but that was only for a few hundred dollars...i'm sure it would be more for your amount, that might be the safest way

Archive 06-08-2006 12:28 PM

Buyer Protection

Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>An eBay transaction of mine several months ago went awry because the seller refused to use an escrow service or do a personal exchange. As has been said, be very wary.