Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Any One Collect Pins? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166056)

ooo-ribay 06-07-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1784627)
Here’s a couple of more “If only I....”

“Two for a dolla” :rolleyes:

ooo-ribay 07-03-2018 06:55 PM

Anyone got any of these?

2 Attachment(s)
This is basically my pin wantlist. I will pay top dollar for any of these (although the PM-10s would obviously fetch a lot more than the home made jobs). I'd be forever in your debt if you could provide even one pin. I have 800+ Giants pins and this is almost the only few I'm still hunting for. There are a few more but they didn't fit neatly into my doc. :p

batsballsbases 07-03-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1791942)
This is basically my pin wantlist. I will pay top dollar for any of these (although the PM-10s would obviously fetch a lot more than the home made jobs). I'd be forever in your debt if you could provide even one pin. I have 800+ Giants pins and this is almost the only few I'm still hunting for. There are a few more but they didn't fit neatly into my doc. :p

Yep have some of these ! About fell off my chair with that TOP DOLLAR line...:eek: By the way you might want to keep an eye out for one of these also! 2 1/4 inch......

ooo-ribay 07-04-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 1791988)
Yep have some of these ! About fell off my chair with that TOP DOLLAR line...:eek:

That was just to lure them in, Al, then I’ll lowball them :p

Seriously, I will certainly make fair offers. Will I pay $750 for any of those pins? Probably not.

71buc 07-04-2018 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just marked this one off my list. They don't show up very often. I have seen seen three. Now that I have said that 10 will show up on ebay next week...

weedene 08-06-2018 10:46 AM

What is this Pin?

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone have any idea the year or company that made this pin?

ooo-ribay 08-06-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedene (Post 1801164)
Anyone have any idea the year or company that made this pin?

He played for the Browns in 1934; the 3rd year of his 4 year career.

bigfanNY 08-17-2018 02:57 PM

Help dating Spalding pin

2 Attachment(s)
Anybody know when this pin was issued. Nice little pin says 1894 patent but not sure what that means. Help much Appreciated.. J

jimm 08-27-2018 06:52 PM

Nice pile today, these dont take up much room [emoji16]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ba2532e1f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ooo-ribay 08-28-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimm (Post 1808123)
Nice pile today, these dont take up much room [emoji16]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ba2532e1f3.jpg

That is a nice pile....the 1994 took me forever to find, the NLCS Game 4 is not often seen and I've only seen one other Dravecky.

jimm 08-28-2018 01:29 PM

These all came from a 'stick beer vendors collection supposedly, more to come I hope

oldjudge 08-28-2018 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Boston pins:

Huysmans 08-28-2018 03:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1804746)
Anybody know when this pin was issued. Nice little pin says 1894 patent but not sure what that means. Help much Appreciated.. J

Hey Jonathan,

that’s definitely a cool Spalding pin, apparently advertising bicycles. While the paper insert doesn’t exactly match any of Whitehead & Hoag’s Type I (1896), Type II (1896), or Type III (1896-97) labeling, the pin is featured on the cover of the 1897 Whitehead & Hoag catalog. I’d assume that with the singular patent, your pin dates from earlier, most likely from between the patent date on your example, and the second patent date of April 14, 1896, with both dates appearing on the majority of later inserts.

I hope this information helps, and I apologize for the terrible photos.

Brent

Huysmans 08-28-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1808370)
My Boston pins:

Killer Cameo pins.
The image on your Bobby Lowe looks sharp!

bigfanNY 08-30-2018 03:10 PM

Brent Thank you for the information. I have seen this same image on a lapel button but this is only pin I have seen. I wondered for a time if someone converted it from a button to a pin but your info tells me that it was a pin all along. In 1897 Spalding was selling bikes to the US military. (For fast attack troops.) so it makes sense their advertising would be strong..
regards
Jonathan

jimm 08-30-2018 08:43 PM

Couple more[emoji16]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...48a7ca0e9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Huysmans 08-31-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1808958)
Brent Thank you for the information. I have seen this same image on a lapel button but this is only pin I have seen. I wondered for a time if someone converted it from a button to a pin but your info tells me that it was a pin all along. In 1897 Spalding was selling bikes to the US military. (For fast attack troops.) so it makes sense their advertising would be strong..
regards
Jonathan

Hey Jonathan, I appreciate the PM, thanks!
And that's very interesting regarding Spalding making bikes for the US military. I was not aware of that, thanks for the info. Now I'm wondering if anyone has any photos of servicemen on Spalding bikes? If so, I'd love to see them!

bigfanNY 08-31-2018 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is group of Buffalo Soldiers of the 25th infantry on their bikes. I read that Spalding donated the bikes. heavy frames Goodyear tires weighed 25 pounds. They trained in Montana and in the Rockies. look them up interesting reading

Huysmans 08-31-2018 05:23 PM

Wow, those are great!
And that definitely deserves a read

Thanks Jonathan

71buc 09-08-2018 01:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up a couple of Clemente pins I had not seen before.

ooo-ribay 09-08-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1811233)
Picked up a couple of Clemente pins I had not seen before.

Mike - that Badge a Minut stamp usually means homemade.

71buc 09-08-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1811318)
Mike - that Badge a Minut stamp usually means homemade.

I suspected as much but took a chance. The poorly cropped photo has that look as well. UPDATED I have learned that both of these pins are likely fantasy pieces. I'm sharing to assist others in avoiding the same mistake,

ooo-ribay 09-09-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1811361)
I suspected as much but took a chance. The poorly cropped photo has that look as well. UPDATED I have learned that both of these pins are likely fantasy pieces. I'm sharing to assist others in avoiding the same mistake,

As long as you didn’t pay too much. They DO have some age but not sure how much.

71buc 09-09-2018 11:55 AM

I actually contacted the seller and exchanged the black and one for a pin I was more knowledgeable about. I kept the color (Dexter press image) pin. I consider it to be a $30 lesson regarding staying in my own lane.:o

Copa7 09-11-2018 06:17 AM

seals pins

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlerainiers (Post 1242030)
Here are some of my favorite pre-Giants SF pins, all from the historic Lefty O'Doul-led 1949 SF Seals tour of Japan.

The wonderful enameled badges with ribbons were given to and worn by tour participants, including players, management, press, military, and other dignitaries.

Wow. These are wonderful. Live the connection to Japan

mcgwirecom 09-11-2018 05:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I don't usually collect pins but recently was offered this one. I have no idea if this is reproduced or not. It's in really great shape which makes me wonder. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

ooo-ribay 09-11-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 1812105)
Hi, I don't usually collect pins but recently was offered this one. I have no idea if this is reproduced or not. It's in really great shape which makes me wonder. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

It’s not a repro, but there are at least 3 on ebay, right now, for $2-5.

mcgwirecom 09-11-2018 06:50 PM

OK thanks. I guess they just made a butt load of them!

ooo-ribay 09-11-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwirecom (Post 1812124)
OK thanks. I guess they just made a butt load of them!

Hank hit #500 on 7/14/68. I’m guessing they made enough pins to pass out to a possible capacity crowd on 8/23/68.

ooo-ribay 09-17-2018 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a few Giants pins. Not too thrilling but I'm always happy to add some I don't have.

Top row L to R: Casual Day 1993; McCutchen bobblehead, worn by ushers for a few days this year; Orange and Black Attack 2012.

Bottom row: There were four of these (the other commemorates Mays' 4HR day). They were free with the SF Chronicle and scorecard, sold outside the stadium for a short period of time in the Giants' 50th year in SF (2008). Being free, you would think they'd be easy to find, but they aren't.

jimm 09-17-2018 04:41 PM

Very nice

MK 10-04-2018 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have collected pins for many years and would have to say my favorite is the “crossed bats” design. Apparently no one knows who manufactured them, but they were readily available at ballparks in the 1940s through at least the early 1970s. Originally they were all 1.25 inches in diameter, then a larger 1.75 inch version came along. It is impossible to compile a complete checklist of these pins and there are variations of certain ones making that task even more difficult. When I say “crossed bats” I am including those which lack the bats, but instead have a team mascot or symbol, or a significant event such as World Champ in its place. One of the things that make these pins so special is how they covered all of baseball. In addition to major league teams, they also offered minor league and Negro League teams. This of course adds to the challenge of finding them all. For me, there is nothing better than finding one of these pins that I have never seen before. While many of these pins are very common, some are incredibly scarce. Here are some which I have found to be very difficult to find. The Los Angeles Dodgers NL Champs pin is extremely common in blue, but almost impossible to find in red. Maybe Dodger fans were turned off since it wasn’t Dodger blue. I would love to see some other tough versions of these pins by you pin collectors out there. I would really love to see one I have never seen before.

ooo-ribay 10-07-2018 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1817438)
I have collected pins for many years and would have to say my favorite is the “crossed bats” design. Apparently no one knows who manufactured them, but they were readily available at ballparks in the 1940s through at least the early 1970s. Originally they were all 1.25 inches in diameter, then a larger 1.75 inch version came along. It is impossible to compile a complete checklist of these pins and there are variations of certain ones making that task even more difficult. When I say “crossed bats” I am including those which lack the bats, but instead have a team mascot or symbol, or a significant event such as World Champ in its place. One of the things that make these pins so special is how they covered all of baseball. In addition to major league teams, they also offered minor league and Negro League teams. This of course adds to the challenge of finding them all. For me, there is nothing better than finding one of these pins that I have never seen before. While many of these pins are very common, some are incredibly scarce. Here are some which I have found to be very difficult to find. The Los Angeles Dodgers NL Champs pin is extremely common in blue, but almost impossible to find in red. Maybe Dodger fans were turned off since it wasn’t Dodger blue. I would love to see some other tough versions of these pins by you pin collectors out there. I would really love to see one I have never seen before.

Here are mine. I don't think any are super tough but some are certainly more abundant than others. Since this picture was take, I have added a 1.25" orange with black border.

ooo-ribay 10-07-2018 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this pin in the Hake's auction. The green and yellow colors threw me but Paul Muchinsky considered it a SF Giants pin and, as you can see, there were quite a few Giants "Go Go" pins.

Scott Garner 10-09-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818019)
I just picked up this pin in the Hake's auction. The green and yellow colors threw me but Paul Muchinsky considered it a SF Giants pin and, as you can see, there were quite a few Giants "Go Go" pins.

Very nice, Rob!

MK 10-09-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818019)

But you have to ask yourself why the San Francisco Giants would make a pin with the Oakland Athletics colors? Much more likely it is a high school or college with the mascot Giants.

ooo-ribay 10-09-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1818499)
But you have to ask yourself why the San Francisco Giants would make a pin with the Oakland Athletics colors? Much more likely it is a high school or college with the mascot Giants.

Sure, go ahead and rain on my parade. :p

For what it's worth, the font is identical to the orange and white pin in the lower left.

batsballsbases 10-09-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818507)
Sure, go ahead and rain on my parade. :p

For what it's worth, the font is identical to the orange and white pin in the lower left.

I tend to agree with Mike as the font really means nothing as pin makers used the same font for college,high school, and football pins.(cost measure) You also cant go by what Paul says as gospel as Paul and I have had many a conversation about some of the pins in his book ( which he was wrong about) Paul I believe wanted to believe these were made for pro teams but truth be told that wasnt the case as people suckered Paul into buying pins that really were not for the pro teams.

ooo-ribay 10-09-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 1818547)
I tend to agree with Mike as the font really means nothing as pin makers used the same font for college,high school, and football pins.(cost measure) You also cant go by what Paul says as gospel as Paul and I have had many a conversation about some of the pins in his book ( which he was wrong about) Paul I believe wanted to believe these were made for pro teams but truth be told that wasnt the case as people suckered Paul into buying pins that really were not for the pro teams.

I know, I know.....

That said, the last batch of Paul’s Giants pins at Hake’s got absolutely stupid prices....don’t know who bought them....this time around, they went cheap.

batsballsbases 10-09-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1818578)
I know, I know.....

That said, the last batch of Paul’s Giants pins at Hake’s got absolutely stupid prices....don’t know who bought them....this time around, they went cheap.

You are correct about that, this time some of the pins were under valued... Hats off to who ever bought some of them...;)

Zan 10-10-2018 08:56 PM

Anyone have a Baseball Tab of Hank Greenberg?

jimm 10-22-2018 05:33 PM

Another 89, new to me anyhow, dig the colors, or lack thereof, on this onehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...34a164c0ba.jpg

ooo-ribay 10-24-2018 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I call these "parking lot pins." They were sold, illegally, in the parking lot of Candlestick Park during the Humm Baby years; late 1980s. They were probably a buck apiece, at the time. The bottom left is a new pickup. They are "out there," but not in great numbers. There are a few more I'm looking for.

jimm 10-25-2018 10:16 AM

hummmm Baby stickers just found a pile, baseball shaped knockoff for sure

MK 11-14-2018 12:15 PM

Question for Rob (ooo-ribay)

1 Attachment(s)
Rob - in your experience have you found the 1.75 inch version of this Giants crossed bats style pin to be more difficult to find then the smaller 1.25 inch version?

ooo-ribay 11-14-2018 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 1826984)
Rob - in your experience have you found the 1.75 inch version of this Giants crossed bats style pin to be more difficult to find then the smaller 1.25 inch version?

I think it is, Mike. I had never given it much thought, but I have a picture document of my Giants “crossed bat” pins and, at the time I created the doc, I was still missing the 1.75” blue border.

That said, I feel much better about the smaller font “GIANTS” on the right. The other was presented as vintage, but I’m not so sure...

MK 11-14-2018 08:57 PM

I think both of yours are very legitimate. I have many crossed bats pins with slightly different fonts presumably from different printing runs. Took me a while to find the larger version of this pin so I was just curious if you had found that to be true. Probably just didn’t make as many of these as the others.

jimtigers65 01-24-2019 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 342076

Added a 1968 World Series pin to my Tiger collection

MK 01-31-2019 09:57 AM

Muchinsky

I recently checked with Hakes Auction and was told there will be no more pins from Muchinsky’s collection offered. Although they auctioned off hundreds, much of his collection apparently went elsewhere. I had hoped for the opportunity to bid on many he featured in his book but they were never offered. Does anyone have any idea where many of his very scarce pins ended up? I’m assuming a private collector made him an offer but have no proof.

andypcl 01-31-2019 12:18 PM

Muchinsky

Hi Mike,

Check out this website: https://www.muchinskycollection.com/

Here's a FAQ from the site: "Are items in the Collection for sale?
No. Dr. Muchinsky directed that the Collection not be sold until his youngest grandchild reaches the age of 22, at which time it is to be auctioned though the most efficient means then available. Thus, the earliest date on which the Collection may be auctioned is October 2037. Prior to that date, discretion was extended to the Trustee to consider only the following offers: 1) those to purchase of all items of a particular sport; and 2) those to purchase of the entire Collection. The minimum sale prices were directed by Dr. Muchinsky and determined based on his assessment of what the Collection will be worth in 2037. He was optimistic about its future value, and as such did not expect any of the Collection to be sold prior to the date set for the auction. Neither does the Trustee.