Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Newbie PSA ticket grading questions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238212)

nolemmings 04-11-2017 05:15 PM

Newbie PSA ticket grading questions

I am pondering whether to get into collecting tickets-full and stubs--and would appreciate some basic info on how they are graded. I see some stubs graded authentic while others receive grades with appearances that seem indistinguishable to me. What are they looking at/for? I have seen stubs parted cleanly at the perforation given the "A" while others with uneven edges--either tears inward or surplusage beyond the perforation receiving numbers. Is there at least some logic and consistency that escapes me?

I see from PSA's website that submitters can request a non-numeric, "A" grade for stubs, but did not see that option for full tickets. What advantages are there to foregoing a number? Why would a full ticket receive an authentic grade?--seems even staple holes or writing would make it a poor 1 and not just authentic.

Third,what is the ticket collecting hobby's view of PSA or any other TPG when it comes to grading tickets? I am no fan of the company, and at this point would use them merely to guaranty authenticity. Does their involvement noticeably increase value, and are there significant jumps in price/value between one number and the next?

Finally, what is the value drop-off from a ticket stub that receives a numeric grade to one that is slabbed as "Authentic". I have seen a few World Series stubs marked "A" that look to be nicer than their numeric counterparts-- 1968 comes to mind.

Any help appreciated.

mcgwirecom 04-11-2017 07:17 PM

You can ask for any ticket or stub to be graded authentic. Most tickets do not grade very high numerically because they get handled more than a baseball card. They have to be taken to a game and then kept in your pocket all night. What tends to happen is that bidders see a low grade on a ticket and use baseball card mentality on it and bid low. Quite frankly a lot of collectors on here don't believe in grading. Personally I've won graded tickets for a low price, cracked them out and sold them for more. Just my opinion.

RichardSimon 04-11-2017 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My opinion of putting any piece of memorabilia into a plastic tomb: (save your money)

icollectDCsports 04-12-2017 09:02 AM

If there is a real question of authenticity that you can't resolve on your own or with the assistance of folks here, then I could see using the services of a TPG to help. I doubt that would happen very often. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend spending the money for a grade or an A. And if you want to protect your tickets, there are much cheaper and more attractive ways to do so. I would buy a ticket in a TPG holder but not at a premium, and I'd promptly crack it out.

nolemmings 04-12-2017 11:50 AM

Thanks guys,