Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   3 Old Baseball Cards Found in Storage Unit (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=155296)

t206blogcom 08-14-2012 11:32 AM

3 Old Baseball Cards Found in Storage Unit

Not sure if anyone saw this on Ebay last night (Item 330775151531), but the seller had 3 '54 Topps that 'he found in a storage unit'. One of the cards was Hank Aaron, which looked to be in pristine condition. I didn't go for it because I felt the Aaron looked fake - the back was much lighter, centering seemed too perfect. Also, I figured given the other two cards had similar wear and tone, that the Aaron probably would as well given 'it was found in a storage unit'.

I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with post-war cards, but to me the Aaron looked too good to be true. Since I'm not an expert and spend most of my time in the pre-war side of collecting, I wanted to ask the group here - did I dodge a bullet or miss a steal?

Thanks!

tcjsavannah 08-14-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206blogcom (Post 1025886)
Not sure if anyone saw this on Ebay last night (Item 330775151531), but the seller had 3 '54 Topps that 'he found in a storage unit'. One of the cards was Hank Aaron, which looked to be in pristine condition. I didn't go for it because I felt the Aaron looked fake - the back was much lighter, centering seemed too perfect. Also, I figured given the other two cards had similar wear and tone, that the Aaron probably would as well given 'it was found in a storage unit'.

I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with post-war cards, but to me the Aaron looked too good to be true. Since I'm not an expert and spend most of my time in the pre-war side of collecting, I wanted to ask the group here - did I dodge a bullet or miss a steal?

Thanks!

I'd only bid on it if it was Barry Weiss who bought that storage unit! :)

Bocabirdman 08-14-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcjsavannah (Post 1025916)
I'd only bid on it if it was Barry Weiss who bought that storage unit! :)

He would get them appraised and then keep them, driving his accountatnt bonkers.:D:D

GasHouseGang 08-14-2012 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I can't tell if they are real, but they scare the hell out of me. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aaron is at the least trimmed.

judsonhamlin 08-14-2012 05:44 PM

My guess is that the Johnson and Janowicz are real and were the bait for the fake Aaron. Kind of like wrapping a $100 bill around a bunch of singles as flash

Bocabirdman 08-14-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judsonhamlin (Post 1026008)
My guess is that the Johnson and Janowicz are real and were the bait for the fake Aaron. Kind of like wrapping a Fake $100 bill around a bunch of singles as flash

I fixed that for you......:D:D

Volod 08-15-2012 03:09 AM

Next month, he will find a 52 T Mantle and a couple of commons in the attic of his maiden aunt's victorian mansion and assert that he has no knowledge or understanding of old cards, but wants to auction them off for a charitable cause to feed starving orphans in a third world slum. You can't cheat an honest person.

Paul S 08-16-2012 02:49 PM

What sticks out to me is why the back of the Aaron is relatively much "brighter" than the other two cards. Tough for me to comment about trimming from scans -- I have T54s in all sorts of different border cuts, obtained prior to TPGers.