Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Upcoming Auctions Question ?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=84874)

Archive 04-03-2007 06:51 AM

Upcoming Auctions Question ??

Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>Can anyone shed some light on why the upcoming Mastro and Robert Edward auctions both run and end on similar days? It seems odd to me that two major auctions would run at the same time and I was wondering if it was just coincidental timing or if there is some type of marketing strategy at play here? Thanks, Mike

Archive 04-03-2007 07:24 AM

Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>I will be anxious to see the answer but as a bidder I think it is wonderful because I can see the full range of everything that is available and can bid accordingly.

Archive 04-03-2007 08:01 AM

Posted By: <b>Steve M.</b><p>Another advantage to bidders of modest means, like me, who will just be looking at a couple of items is that the big money is split with those buyers having to be more selective about where to put their money.

Archive 04-03-2007 08:03 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I am not sure of the answer but REA and Mastro have had premier auctions at the same time the last several years (near April). The timing in the year is at tax refund time and that might not be a coincidence. I know there have been a few years I spent my refund in these auctions.......I doubt they conspire together.....probably not a lot of getting together on the weekends with employees of both companies....nor invitations to Christmas parties vice versa....regards

Archive 04-03-2007 08:24 AM

Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>Rob only has one auction a year and does it at tax-refund time... which makes perfect sense.<br /><br />Likewise, Mastro has auctions several times a year, so it would almost be impossible to find a time for an auction that would not "overlap" with one of theirs.<br /><br /><br />And like Leon says... as natural competitors... I'm sure that both are hoping that maybe someday the "other guy" will blink first and move away from this coveted time slot.

Archive 04-03-2007 08:37 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I don't think they consulted with each other and decided by mutual agreement to do it. But I guess there is some competitive reason that one chose the date after knowing the other's schedule. It does put a lot of great material out there all at once, for better or worse.

Archive 04-03-2007 09:23 AM

Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>I think it's for the better!

Archive 04-03-2007 09:28 AM

Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>2 of the greatest days of the year is receiving the Mastro catalog & receiving the REA catalog. It just doesn't get any better than that !!! Now, if I could ever afford ANYTHING in any of the catalogs & not just the actual catalogs, that would be a dream come true !!!!<br /><br />Alan<br />

Archive 04-03-2007 09:49 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Having the two major auctions run simultaneously will actually affect bidders' strategies. What many will do is bid in the auction that closes first, but have an eye towards the one that closes the next day. Most people don't have an unlimited budget, so the sequence of when they close will be a factor in how they bid. It is a rather interesting situation to say the least.

Archive 04-03-2007 10:47 AM

Posted By: <b>Jorge</b><p> I always thought it had something to do with the begining of the baseball season...... Hi Hal!

Archive 04-03-2007 02:51 PM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I guess I am just really surprised at the amount of product that collectors can absorb in the U.S. We just had our big hockey auction up here (Canada) and it grossed $1.2 million which are big numbers for hockey. <br /><br />I read in a previous thread that the two upcoming auctions may gross 20 million each and I guess that means the hobby is alive and well.<br /><br />Good luck to all !!!

Archive 04-03-2007 03:09 PM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>They are both large, but they won't gross $20 million each. Maybe combined, but even that may be a stretch.

Archive 04-03-2007 03:34 PM

Posted By: <b>Richard Masson</b><p>I would take the over, Barry.<br /><br />Qcards- What is the big hockey auction in Canada?

Archive 04-03-2007 03:41 PM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I'll take the under, and I'll bet you a milk shake.

Archive 04-03-2007 03:46 PM

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Anyone want to guess what the Lionel Carter collection will total?

Archive 04-03-2007 03:48 PM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I don't think the complete Carter collection is in this auction. I would guess the whole thing might be a couple of million. I don't know what I am basing that on, but that's my guess.

Archive 04-03-2007 05:57 PM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Richard; The firm that runs the big hockey auctions in Canada is called Classic Auctions and their link is below. Regards, Mike<br /><br /><a href="http://www.classicauctions.net/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.classicauctions.net/</a>

Archive 04-03-2007 10:47 PM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Barrys correct that the Carter collection to be sold will be portioned out through atleast a few auctions