Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Pete Rose Thoughts? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=348480)

homerunhitter 04-16-2024 07:28 PM

Pete Rose Thoughts?

Not taking about Pete rose the gambler or pets rose the manager but…as a PLAYER, did anyone love or play the game better than Pete Rose? Why doesn’t he have more hobby love? (As a player)

Beercan collector 04-16-2024 08:03 PM

Long ago I noticed he’s smiling or laughing more than anybody on his cards

bk400 04-16-2024 09:19 PM

I distinctly remember how disappointed I was as a kid to learn that Pete Rose bet on baseball -- and he never even played for my hometown teams. It was a super big deal and covered extensively in a highly negative way. To the extent that the the 45-70 year old cohort is the driver of hobby love for vintage cards today, I think those memories have played a role.

I don't think that Pete Rose has done himself any favors post-ban also. All this said, while I am personally not a fan of how sports gambling has become a normalized part of the marketing of America's major sports leagues (thanks, Supreme Court), I do wonder whether the lifetime ban is a bit harsh in light of the (rightly or wrongly) more permissive attitude toward gambling today.

Casey2296 04-16-2024 10:23 PM

Pete Rose is an idiot, great ball player but a lifetime of poor decisions.

With the current commissioner spreading his cheeks for sports gambling Pete and Joe should be welcomed into the hall of fame.

BearBailey 04-17-2024 08:06 PM

Not sure what you are talking about as Pete is near the top from his era in hobby love. His 60s cards and anything game used is quite pricey. He didn’t get the Covid boost Aaron, Clemente, and Koufax got but after mantle he is amongst the most collected up until Seaver or Schmidt? His auto isn’t what it used to be but he has to be on the top 10 most autos of all time, the early card show guy autograph headliners were Joe D, mantle and Rose. He is collected and priced like a top tier HOFer regardless of not being allowed in.

Mark17 04-17-2024 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerunhitter (Post 2427262)
Not taking about Pete rose the gambler or pets rose the manager but…as a PLAYER, did anyone love or play the game better than Pete Rose? Why doesn’t he have more hobby love? (As a player)

Rose was a great role model as a player. He's the reason I decided early on that I never wanted to be a major league player, although I loved (and still do) baseball. In an interview, Pete told of having a batting cage in his basement, and taking 100 swings right-handed, and 100 swings left-handed, every day during the off-season. I remember thinking I didn't love baseball THAT much.

Pete was a pretty average player in high school, but he was the ultimate over-achiever, through hard work, desire, and hustle. And he was a winner several times. He took care of himself, obviously, to last long enough to get all those hits.

If Rose had the personality of a Tony Gwynn or Stan Musial, he might've been the most popular player of the second half of the 20th century. Ruth the first.

G1911 04-17-2024 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearBailey (Post 2427489)
Not sure what you are talking about as Pete is near the top from his era in hobby love. His 60s cards and anything game used is quite pricey. He didn’t get the Covid boost Aaron, Clemente, and Koufax got but after mantle he is amongst the most collected up until Seaver or Schmidt? His auto isn’t what it used to be but he has to be on the top 10 most autos of all time, the early card show guy autograph headliners were Joe D, mantle and Rose. He is collected and priced like a top tier HOFer regardless of not being allowed in.

+1. How many 60's Topps cards outsell Rose's 63? He's at the very top.

jayshum 04-18-2024 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2427513)
+1. How many 60's Topps cards outsell Rose's 63? He's at the very top.

Nolan Ryan's 68 Topps rookie card and Tom Seaver's 67 Topps rookie card are probably the only ones that are comparable to Rose's rookie card for 60's Topps cards.