Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any Tobin trade card experts out there? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=138974)

Bugsy 07-07-2011 11:50 AM

Any Tobin trade card experts out there?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

These are examples from the set of larger Tobin (or similar to Tobin) trade cards. I believe there are 4 in the set. They obviously have many differences (I do believe they are the same exact size). Can anyone explain why?

Could the second example have been a window/counter display while the first example is what a customer would have been given?

Thanks!

Chris

fkw 07-07-2011 12:17 PM

I think it is just another one of the many baseball related trade card sets made by Tobin. I counted at least 10 sets that use Tobin drawings or knockoffs of Tobin drawings, and many of them have roughly the same images.
Ive only owned 2 of the H804-26 cards (the Large Tobin's you show) and both were the kine with the "201" in lower corner and corner clefs like the one on the left in your scans.

Bugsy 07-16-2011 09:50 AM

Thanks for the response. I guess my biggest question is, are these considered to be the same card from the same set?

I know some sets have different borders with different factory numbers in the corner. I think most would consider these variations from the same set. My interest in these is that if you look closely, these are actually two different drawings. So, not only are the borders and factory numbers different here, but the drawings aren't the same either. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

fkw 07-16-2011 01:57 PM

Different subset. Looks to be uncataloged by Keetz (I have the 2nd edition of his book)

Kind of like the H804-1 Tobin "Baby Talk Series" has 4 subsets,...... H804-1A, H804-1B, H804-1C, H804-1D.
H804-2 has 3 subsets, H804-5 has 3 subsets, H804-7 has 4 subsets, etc.

Now you just have to see if there are more cards in this set :)
Im sure there are and the captions may be the same as the "known" H804-26 set, like the "Oh What a Snap!" is.

wolterse 07-16-2011 07:23 PM

your question...

This particular trade card is from the H804-26 set of 4. It's a large card series (4-7/16" x 7"). The 4 cards in the complete set are:

-A Home Run
-A Regular Corker
-A Sure Thing
-Oh What a Snap!

I don't think it's a Tobin issue, but something very similar. I believe it to be a 'stock' card, which means the image was widely distributed to many different stores and each would then stamp on their particular ad. Consequently, it is possible to find the same trade card image with a different advertisement.

Hope this helps, and thanks to Frank Keetz and his 'Baseball Advertising Trade Cards' - Third Edition for the support in responding to this question.

Bugsy 07-18-2011 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting guys! Here is another one with the different border, so it looks like there are different subsets at work here.