Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Babe Ruth barnstorming card? Real or fantasy? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330003)

chalupacollects 01-06-2023 10:19 PM

Babe Ruth barnstorming card? Real or fantasy?

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify the issue this card may be from? The picture is taken from a 1931 photo of the Universal Stars barnstorming team Ruth played on…Attachment 551443

Attachment 551444

Print pattern on front seems to be period. Note the town may not have been an official town…

Thanks!

ullmandds 01-06-2023 10:31 PM

never seen it...I suspect a modern fantasy card.

JustinD 01-07-2023 03:05 AM

Fantasy, I feel like I saw similar posted some years ago.

jingram058 01-07-2023 05:29 AM

Why fake this? There are way better Ruth images and cards out there. All things Babe Ruth, I guess.

Hankphenom 01-07-2023 07:04 AM

Yes, it's from the "Joe Daly's Tavern" issue. Seriously, clever of them to use an antique typewriter font for the offer on the back, otherwise it's just another in the long line of yellowed fakes out of Ohio. That makes me only 99&9/10% certain it's a fake rather than 100%. Also, I don't think I've seen the photo before, which might knock it down to 99&8/10%. Where did you get it? I'm guessing eBay or Etsy or such.

chalupacollects 01-07-2023 07:16 AM

It’s not mine trying to solve the mystery. Googled the photo, was on gottahaveit.com website. Cut from a larger photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jobu 01-07-2023 07:54 AM

100% fantasy. There are quite a few versions of card with names type on the back like this - most are Ruth, Gehrig, and Cobb.

JustinD 01-07-2023 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2301895)
Yes, it's from the "Joe Daly's Tavern" issue. Seriously, clever of them to use an antique typewriter font for the offer on the back, otherwise it's just another in the long line of yellowed fakes out of Ohio. That makes me only 99&9/10% certain it's a fake rather than 100%. Also, I don't think I've seen the photo before, which might knock it down to 99&8/10%. Where did you get it? I'm guessing eBay or Etsy or such.

Personally, I always feel that typewriter font is more so a dead giveaway for a fake. Look at how each line is leaning differently which shows the card was manually placed for each line due to the size. For a small business owner it would have taken hours upon hours to complete just a small batch versus buying an inexpensive hand stamp to do a pile in a couple minutes. That and using the bicolor accounting ribbon which means a little shop that would rarely need red only gets half the use of a ribbon as they can’t flip it over for additional runs. Anything advertising based with hand type is suspect for me immediately.

ctownboy 01-07-2023 04:16 PM

I also love when these scammers put the name and address of an establishment selling alcohol on the back of the card WHEN PROHIBITION WAS STILL GOING ON.

If this picture was from 1931 and Prohibition ended in 1933 then this place was just ASKING to be raided if they were giving out cards like this.

David

Hankphenom 01-07-2023 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2302035)
Personally, I always feel that typewriter font is more so a dead giveaway for a fake. Look at how each line is leaning differently which shows the card was manually placed for each line due to the size. For a small business owner it would have taken hours upon hours to complete just a small batch versus buying an inexpensive hand stamp to do a pile in a couple minutes. That and using the bicolor accounting ribbon which means a little shop that would rarely need red only gets half the use of a ribbon as they can’t flip it over for additional runs. Anything advertising based with hand type is suspect for me immediately.

I guess, but I'm not sure cranking out 100 of these for the owner to give out would take hours and hours of typing, more like a couple hours if you knew your way around a typewriter. Under this kind of circumstance, of course, no matter how long it took or when it was made, the card would never be regarded as a legitimate issue to be catalogued, etc., but merely a local fantasy promo card.

Hankphenom 01-07-2023 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctownboy (Post 2302059)
I also love when these scammers put the name and address of an establishment selling alcohol on the back of the card WHEN PROHIBITION WAS STILL GOING ON. If this picture was from 1931 and Prohibition ended in 1933 then this place was just ASKING to be raided if they were giving out cards like this. David

The picture, of course, could have been used anytime after 1931, including long after prohibition had ended.

Econteachert205 01-08-2023 07:34 AM

There is no Plymouth Rhode Island to my knowledge.

Hankphenom 01-08-2023 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 2302203)
There is no Plymouth Rhode Island to my knowledge.

Oops!

Eric72 01-08-2023 06:46 PM

The typo is a classic scammer touch.

Leon 01-11-2023 10:03 AM

A common fantasy piece that people have probably lost thousands of dollars on, over the years.

packs 01-11-2023 12:47 PM

How would the hobby feel if there was a bar that really did print up their own little contemporary cards for free drinks and one featured the Babe?

There are lots of bars by me that have their own drink tokens made up for free drinks. If I ever own a bar I'm going to make my own cards like this and see how the hobby treats them in 100 years.

Fred 01-11-2023 01:44 PM

I know someone that had business cards cards printed with images of Wagner.

It's obvious it's a business card, but it's pretty cool. You have to figure, it's a great way to start a conversation about cards and things like that.

It'd be weird to be an electrician, plumber, handyman or what ever and start a conversation with a client about "hey, got any baseball cards?"

With the business card people may ask about it, then you can step up the conversation about baseball cards or other sports collectibles.

Maye we can start a thread about creating the best looking "fantasy" card.

It's just sad that people create these things with the intent to defraud.

packs 01-11-2023 01:50 PM

Harry Coveleskie had these neat little cards made for his own cafe way back when. It's one of my favorite pieces in my collection:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4381/3...0bc6e57e_w.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4406/3...7d74e5f6_w.jpg

bnorth 01-11-2023 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2303295)
How would the hobby feel if there was a bar that really did print up their own little contemporary cards for free drinks and one featured the Babe?

There are lots of bars by me that have their own drink tokens made up for free drinks. If I ever own a bar I'm going to make my own cards like this and see how the hobby treats them in 100 years.

After I retired I opened a seasonal business as a hobby. I had cards printed up with Ted Williams on one side.

packs 01-11-2023 02:09 PM

Ever see one floating around somewhere?

I do think if you could show definitively that you have some kind of cool little contemporary 1930 Babe Ruth premium like a drink ticket with a picture of him in uniform on it there would be a nice little competitive market for it.

FrankWakefield 01-11-2023 07:44 PM

Illuminate it with a black light and see if it fluoresces. Then let us know if it glowed. That would be a really useful test.

To me, without using the light test, it just doesn't look right.

Hankphenom 01-12-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2303316)
Ever see one floating around somewhere? I do think if you could show definitively that you have some kind of cool little contemporary 1930 Babe Ruth premium like a drink ticket with a picture of him in uniform on it there would be a nice little competitive market for it.

"Contemporary" being the all-important operative word here.

lowpopper 01-20-2023 01:25 AM

is this before or after he ate all the hotdogs?

Leon 01-22-2023 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2303509)
"Contemporary" being the all-important operative word here.

The issue is going to be the slightest of forensic analysis will show it isn't circa 1930

and packs, here is one like yours but with a different back ..

Hankphenom 01-22-2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2306844)
The issue is going to be the slightest of forensic analysis will show it isn't circa 1930.

This, my point from the start.