Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   From Sports Collectors Daily - 1971 Topps Football (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238555)

Samsdaddy 04-20-2017 06:17 AM

From Sports Collectors Daily - 1971 Topps Football

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-football-set/

I am not a fan of this set, just didn't care for the design but I do like the game card inserts which were a take off on what Topps did in 1968 for their third series in baseball.

LuckyLarry 04-20-2017 11:36 AM

While I wait for my friend Brian to comment, I'll share (again) about my 1971 Topps set of "Pin-Ups". A couple of years ago at out local monthly show, a dealer was selling a near set of PSA graded pin-ups (31 of 32 missing only Dick Butkus). I guess he was tired of lugging them around because he sold them to me for $100. I picked up a graded Butkus, and now own the #2 position in the PSA Registry (only two full sets registered).
Thumbs up for the 1971 Topps set!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/IMG_3037.jpg

Samsdaddy 04-20-2017 12:50 PM

Very cool Larry.

familytoad 04-20-2017 08:48 PM

These cards?

3 Attachment(s)
You won't find many of those pesky near mint quality cards in my collection, but you will see quantity:D

I doubt anyone else is actively collecting 20+ sets of these...my favorite set even though I have completed several prewar sets and have a decent prewar HOF collection...none rival my favorite set shown here.
This photo shoot was taken when I was going to stop at 14 sets, but I have blown by that now:cool:

I don't think I'd call myself an expert, but I chewed the gum and bought the packs in 1971. I was 9.

I think I knew every card number by heart then...and I think I still do...

I had the posters on my wall...(nice slabs Larry, I have a couple creased poster sets here and a ton of the game cards. So if you ever come by, we'll use mine for the playing field , not yours ;)

The backs of the posters are the playing field, a yellow field marker was a dreaded pull from the packs instead of a player. The game cards have extremely poor quality control for centering. The regular cards are not as bad...but it's Topps in the Seventies, so you know you'll get the occasional bonus of two players on the same card.

Always seeking more, but be warned...I'm cheap:D

LuckyLarry 04-21-2017 04:37 AM

WOW!:eek:

stlcardsfan 04-21-2017 09:25 AM

Awesome stuff Brian!!!

jmoran19 04-21-2017 07:09 PM

My story is a replica of Brian's except I'm only working on set #4 in ex condition (set 1 is nm mt) and I'm obsessed with unopened packs for 1971. At last count I think I have 16 wax, 4 cellos and 2 racks.

John

familytoad 04-21-2017 09:31 PM

Unopened?

John...where can I get an unopened pack or wrappper or some of the gum?
Aw never mind...
I will probably open it and put the cards in my binder:rolleyes:

Just kidding maybe I should get one!

yankeesjetsfan 05-12-2017 08:41 AM

I'm generally a NY Jets team set builder and I do have a couple of the Jets cards from this set, including the Namath pin up. Actually been thinking of putting this set together since it is the year of my birth.

Mike

jefferyepayne 05-12-2017 02:29 PM

I personally love this set. The Red and Blue borders are clean and strong and I like a nice simple design.

+1000 on your sets, Brian!

jeff

sthoemke 05-12-2017 04:20 PM

The 1971 Football was the first set I collected (along with 1971 baseball, basketball, and hockey). I'm sure I still have my original cards, someplace.

However, for some reason, I can not recall the pin-ups. Were there packs that didn't contain them?!?.

familytoad 05-17-2017 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthoemke (Post 1660793)
The 1971 Football was the first set I collected (along with 1971 baseball, basketball, and hockey). I'm sure I still have my original cards, someplace.

However, for some reason, I can not recall the pin-ups. Were there packs that didn't contain them?!?.

I'm pretty sure that only the 10 cent packs had a pin up. The bigger packs (cello and rack) did not. Maybe your collection was built with those instead of the smaller dime packs.
:confused:

I encourage you to dig out your 71's and finish it off.
I would not encourage you to build over 20 sets. That's foolish :D

familytoad 12-10-2018 09:34 PM

Categorically

Put this in the category of “ who could possibly care” but I finally got my sets put in binders.
I think I was shooting for 20 sets when we last discussed, but I had so many cards in boxes, that would have short changed my effort.
So I acquired some more big binders and a couple more boxes of 9 pockets and went to work recently.

I’ve slotted another 9 partial sets. Yup 29 sets.
My dupes Box is down to maybe 300 cards of 1st series commons.
When I say dupes , it means I have already put the first 29 sets in the books.

Sets 1 and 2 share a binder, slotted 1-263, then repeated.
Sets 3,4,5 are slotted 3 players per page, see the picture above. That’s a neat orientation.
Sets 6, 7, 8, 9 , 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 are in the infamous full page per player order.
Sets 15, 16, 17 go back to the 3 player orientation. I like the way that looks so I did it for the 3rd time on sets 18, 19, 20.
Then this week I went for another instance of 9 per page, arriving at the 29 set mark.

Now, before you think I am crazy (too late:confused:) , I only have 16 full sets . I need quite a few Bradshaw, Namath and Mean Joe Greene cards. I easily have 40 of commons like Jim Butler and Rick Redman. So I am actively collecting 20 sets, those last 9 are bonus :p

I warned you that few would care LOL

PowderedH2O 12-11-2018 07:35 AM

Clearly you are crazy Brian, but I love that craziness. I have too many cards that I like to spend so much time on just one set, but I absolutely adore the 1971 set. It easily ranks as my favorite set of ones in my lifetime of collecting. I started in 1973, but kids in the neighborhood still had 1969-72 around, so I managed to trade for them. The Merlin Olsen card is one of the best cards from any set. How could anyone not love that card?

Kurri17 12-11-2018 08:08 AM

I was among the ones who didn't care for this set that much over the years, even though it was the first set I ever collected as a kid. But, a lot of these came my way that were in beautiful shape, then a dealer at a local show had bunch of very nice ones, and I was hooked. I am nearly finished with a NM set and have gathered dupes along the way to be a little more than half way on a second set in EX. And, along with the '71 Kelloggs baseball, I have probably enjoyed the pursuit of nice copies of these more than any other set.

Kudos to all above with their collections.

Laxcat 12-18-2018 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cool thread. I’m working on a freak/MC/blank back ‘71 set.
The Smith Moses & Berger are blank back.

familytoad 12-22-2018 12:11 AM

Freak

Matt I have a few freaks if you are interested.
I like mis cuts myself but not really the psycho blurred guys like the Burkett you showed.
if you are interested, I’ll send them to you.
PM me with your mailing address.

familytoad 12-28-2018 11:51 PM

Matt...Sent

I found the freaks and mailed them out...
I hope you enjoy them...

Laxcat 01-04-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytoad (Post 1840400)
I found the freaks and mailed them out...
I hope you enjoy them...

I got them and they are a great!! Thanks so much. I’ll post a scan of my freak set so far as soon as I can.