Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Type 1 Ty Cobb Photos with PSA (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260171)

jcmtiger 09-20-2018 10:03 PM

Type 1 Ty Cobb Photos with PSA

Is it worth it to gets these graded/authenticated?

Thanks in advance Joe

drcy 09-21-2018 01:30 AM

Post them for an opinion.

Actually, as PSA apparently doesn't authenticate blank backed photos, I don't know what is the point of using their services. A collector or others should be as able to judge stamps and tags as well as PSA.

But that's just me and my opinion :)

P.s. I add that I think PSA does a good job at photo authentication. I'm not questioning their abilities or general accuracy with the photos they do authenticate.

Forever Young 09-21-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1814306)
Post them for an opinion.

Actually, as PSA apparently doesn't authenticate blank backed photos, I don't know what is the point of using their services. A collector or others should be as able to judge stamps and tags as well as PSA.

Actually, this is not true. They do authenticate photos with blank backs. However, if they cannot tell for sure, they do not.

The reason why others can judge by stamps to some extent, ironically, is the work Henry Yee did and the book he created.

I agree with you that is the OP posts pics front and back, he can get some good direction on this board.

If the OP is looking to maximize a sale, however, a psa cert would do just that.

Jobu 09-21-2018 09:51 AM

I was recently told that PSA stopped authenticating photos that were mounted, so maybe this is what you are thinking of? I have a blank-backed photo that should pop any day now, so we will have an immediate test of that.

jcmtiger 09-21-2018 10:54 AM

cobb photos

3 Attachment(s)
here they are

jcmtiger 09-21-2018 10:56 AM

cobb no 2

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the other

Duluth Eskimo 09-21-2018 12:05 PM

Those are sweet

Forever Young 09-21-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmtiger (Post 1814369)
here they are

My gut, by scans, is that they are type 1s. These would be great examples to send into psa as they would fetch potential high dollars with a letter at auction.
Beautiful images that i would love to own:)

Jobu 09-21-2018 12:52 PM

My gut says that same thing, though it should be noted that my gut is only a fraction as smart as Ben's gut when it comes to photos.

Both great images - I have always loved the photo of Cobb sitting in the chair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever Young (Post 1814392)
My gut, by scans, is that they are type 1s. These would be great examples to send into psa as they would fetch potential high dollars with a letter at auction.
Beautiful images that i would love to own:)

drcy 09-21-2018 01:14 PM

If they are original, they would be the kind worthy of getting LOAs because they are most excellent examples.

Despite my questioning post, I was waiting to see if they were Cobbs potentially valuable/desirable enough to warrant LOAs. If it turned to be a reprint snapshot of him mowing his lawn in his robe at age 58... If originals, yours are choice.

Jobu 09-21-2018 02:10 PM

LOL - that photo would have a lot more action than the photo of him sitting in the chair, but would not influence my preference for the latter. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1814400)
If it turned to be a reprint snapshot of him mowing his lawn in his robe at age 58...

Forever Young 09-21-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1814393)
My gut says that same thing, though it should be noted that my gut is only a fraction as smart as Ben's gut when it comes to photos.

If you are saying both my appetite for photos and belly are large... you would be correct.