Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1908 Cubs ?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246638)

smitti8 10-24-2017 11:54 AM

1908 Cubs ??

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a lot of early photographs at an estate sale and found this image tucked in an envelope marked "spring training". I believe I see Lundgren, Sheckard, Zimmerman, Tinker, and Evers.

Or am I just being a jackass ???

I've really learned a lot from this community over the years and really value your opinions here!

THX, JB

MVSNYC 10-24-2017 12:05 PM

You may be on to something, although tough to pin down year, if it's not indicated on reverse...here's an amazing 1908 WS Program (not mine) in REA, which could help identify some of the guys (great head shots in the program).

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=47709

smitti8 10-24-2017 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for sharing! I've been going crazy trying to find other images from the era to compare against. The envelope had a few other photos in it with close up images that appear to have been taken on the same day or trip. This one looks like Mordecai and Orval in the center of the image to me..

Bpm0014 10-24-2017 12:52 PM

Definitely Mordecai in the center holding the hat.

RUKen 10-24-2017 01:19 PM

I believe it's Jimmy Slagle in front of Brown in that photo, and Carl Lundgren on the left with Bob Wicker next to him. That would date the photo 1904-1906.

smitti8 10-24-2017 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW ! Thank you all so much here ! I was focused on 1908 but struggling to connect some of my images to players from that years team. I always thought Lundgren was on the far left too but that baby face didn't look 28 to me. Certainly 24-26 seems more likely. Gives me a new direction to go in and I really appreciate all of the help here. Here's my favorite. I think Brown is wearing his ball cap with his nice suit !!

chalupacollects 10-24-2017 03:00 PM

This might help from 1906

1 Attachment(s)
for some facial recognition...

smitti8 10-24-2017 05:15 PM

Awesome ! This is all so helpful. Really appreciate the support here and apologies to everyone if this thread was posted in the wrong spot !

WillowGrove 10-24-2017 08:31 PM

Really cool photos Smitti8! Congrats on the find.

pherbener 10-24-2017 08:33 PM

Very cool JB. Nice catch!!

bmarlowe1 10-25-2017 12:33 AM

Doc Casey far right, Del Howard standing tall back center, I think - though he wasn't on the roster until 1907.

RUKen 10-25-2017 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting back to the photo with seven players, I believe that Buttons Briggs is in the middle of the back row. So we have:

Back row: Del Howard, Buttons Briggs, Doc Casey
Front row: Carl Lundgren, Bob Wicker, Jimmy Slagle, Mordecai Brown

Brown and Briggs joined the team for the 1904 season, and Casey and Briggs were traded away in December, 1905. The inclusion of Howard was puzzling, but then I found this, in the February 6, 1904, edition of Sporting Life (page 4, column 2): Selee has signed a kid named Dell (sic) Howard, from a little Illinois town. Bob Wicker recommended him, and says that for a beginner Howard is a wonder. He is an outfielder, and is touted as the goods. According to Jim Hart, the lad will be given a fair chance, and may make the team as a utility outfielder.

Voila! Frank Selee was the manager of the Cubs in 1904. Howard tried out with the team during spring training that year, but ended up playing in Omaha in 1904 and Pittsburg in 1905.

Webster 10-25-2017 07:57 AM

Evers?

This:

"February 6, 1904, edition of Sporting Life (page 4, column 2): Selee has signed a kid named Dell (sic) Howard, from a little Illinois town. Bob Wicker recommended him, and says that for a beginner Howard is a wonder. He is an outfielder, and is touted as the goods. According to Jim Hart, the lad will be given a fair chance, and may make the team as a utility outfielder."

Is an amazing catch.

On the original photo, I believe Evers is second from right.

Good luck.

smitti8 10-25-2017 08:17 AM

Spectacular! Thank you all SO much for your insights and help here. Truly amazed and humbled by your efforts to help me solve this riddle! I realize that simple photographs are a little off topic for the board but thought it was incredibly neat to see these guys in a different kind of "pinstripe" just having fun goofing off together away from the diamond. My sincere gratitude !

Jobu 10-25-2017 01:34 PM

No need to apologize for posting this! This is definitely not a simple photo and it is finds and research like this that many of us live for, so thank you for posting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitti8 (Post 1713730)
Spectacular! Thank you all SO much for your insights and help here. Truly amazed and humbled by your efforts to help me solve this riddle! I realize that simple photographs are a little off topic for the board but thought it was incredibly neat to see these guys in a different kind of "pinstripe" just having fun goofing off together away from the diamond. My sincere gratitude !

T206Collector 10-25-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1713848)
No need to apologize for posting this! This is definitely not a simple photo and it is finds and research like this that many of us live for, so thank you for posting.

+1

This may be the first time anyone has ever posted a random photo that actually had a picture of a Major Leaguer in it.