Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SGC Registry – Why isn’t there one? - Part 2 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347752)

parkplace33 03-26-2024 08:33 AM

SGC Registry – Why isn’t there one? - Part 2

I wrote a post almost exactly a year ago about why SGC didn't have a registry:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=333193

Lots of interesting insight, but a lot has changed since that post (and especially in the last 2 months).

Thoughts on a future SCG registry? I am still in a wait and see approach to SGC. I hope some enhancements and improvements are coming in the next 6 months. If not, well...... :(

Johnny630 03-26-2024 09:24 AM

Because every time you send in for a re holder they give you a completely new flip and serial number.

More so because I think the owner realized that PSA owns the registry market. People who are PSA registry guys will not switch over to SGC. They just won’t most of the guys who collect SGC are hard-core collectors, less so bragging rights guys who like to be number one on the registry, at least that’s what I’ve noticed over the years Sure there are differences amongst different people, but that just seems like the general thought. I think it’s a good idea that SGC never wasted their money on a registry. It never would’ve taken off to the full extent.

The Nasty Nati 03-26-2024 09:34 AM

They promised one during the 2021 National.

raulus 03-26-2024 10:45 AM

I suspect it's just a hell of a lot of work.

There's just so many sets these days. Even if you ignore the new stuff, and just focus on vintage, there are thousands of sets. And that's before you get to subsets and player sets, etc.

The process requires a pretty significant up-front investment to make sure that you're including everything, with all of the variations. And then you get to keep it updated as new information and variants come to light. It could take a pretty sizeable team just to keep it maintained.

And if you're going to be adding new sets for modern stuff, then it would take a big team to manage all of those.

As others have mentioned on other threads, it seems like organization and standardization has been lacking, with the same cards getting slightly different names and labels, which makes it really difficult to attempt to group everything together properly.

Add it all up, and I suspect that every time they've considered it, they've decided the juice isn't worth the squeeze, in terms of what it would mean for the brand.

And if we're being honest, about the only real significant impact on sales prices tends to be at the tippy top of the pop charts. Set registry hounds (like me) will pay staggering multiples for 1-of-1s, or to get into the rarified air of vintage 9s and 10s. But outside of that, especially with pre-war, any discount for SGC slabs seems relatively minor.

Don't even get this group started on the folly of chasing the set registry rankings by paying 10x for a card with a bigger number on the flip that looks no better (or in some cases looks worse) than other examples with smaller numbers on the flip.

Vintagedeputy 03-26-2024 11:36 AM

SGC had a registry. It was grand.

When they changed the cert numbers, they screwed the pooch.

conor912 03-26-2024 12:01 PM

I hear it has something to do with JFK Jr…..

Vintagedeputy 03-26-2024 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2422410)
I think it’s a good idea that SGC never wasted their money on a registry. It never would’ve taken off to the full extent.

We had one and it had a small but dedicated following, along with a thriving message board.

steve B 03-27-2024 06:55 AM

I liked the old registry.
Especially having the card images in that scrolling display.

Never thought of being a registry type, but I figured I'd put whatever I had graded in and put up the pictures.
I was surprised at actually liking having a ranking, especially having most of the groups ranked about the same but with maybe half as many cards.

Then the database change that messed up both the pop reports and the registry, then the "fix" with new numbering and ignoring the old.....

About that time I just got disappointed with all grading companies with obviously fake stuff graded. (Much of which they've abandoned because they can't tell... "experts" riiight... )