Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Slightly Off Topic regarding eBay account (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=136708)

Vintagecatcher 05-10-2011 04:25 PM

Slightly Off Topic regarding eBay account

I have recently been receiving emails stating that I am close to reaching my "spending limit" on my PayPal account, and that I will need to get my account "verified" in order to continue to use PayPal.

Has anyone else received a similar email?

My understanding is that I would need to link my PayPal account to my bank account which would then "verify" my account.

My account has been used strictly for purchases, and I have never sold anything via eBay.

Any suggestions/advice since I don't plan on linking to my bank account?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Jay Wolt 05-10-2011 04:59 PM

Never respond to any of the eBay or Paypal emails as the majority are bogus and hoping
that you give them your log in info. All of eBay & Paypal's info can be taken off their sight directly and you can respond there
knowing that it is safe to do so.

Edwolf1963 05-10-2011 05:18 PM

Paypal

Yes - if you haven't deleted already, forward that email to "spoof@paypal.com" - they can confirm if it was sent by them or bogus.

shaunsteig 05-10-2011 05:25 PM

Agree with the advice to be wary of e-mails emanating from EBay and PayPal, and certainly not to respond directly but rather you should read and respond via their websites.

In this case the PayPal verification message may be legit -- I received one as well as using my account for a short while. Apparently they'll only allow you to spend a certain dollar amount (depends on your account type) without having a bank account linked to them. Can't say I understand why. I too didn't want to link up, but ultimately had to give in in order to keep using them. So far haven't had any issues.

Rich Klein 05-10-2011 05:55 PM

I laugh at the pay pal emails

Because; I do not have a pay pal account ---- be kind of humorous to give someone else's email information

Rich

Matthew H 05-10-2011 06:23 PM

You will have to link your bank account if you want to continue paying for anything with PayPal. You can just log into your paypal account and do it that way, no need to answer the email. If you don't want to link up, you will have to use alternate payment methods.

HRBAKER 05-10-2011 06:37 PM

Credit card: You can link your account to a credit card and pay for as much as you want. I have never had my account linked to a bank account. This of course only works if you plan on only using PP as a buyer.

Vintagecatcher 05-10-2011 09:40 PM

Email regarding verifying account

My PayPal account has always been linked to a credit card. Since I never have sold anything I see know reason to tie it to my bank account.

This may be the end to my eBay purchasing since I will refuse to link to my bank account.

Patrick

HRBAKER 05-10-2011 09:47 PM

Patrick,

The e-m may well be bogus. As stated I am only linked to a CC and my account status is "Verified." I occasionally get an e-m asking me if I want to link to a bank account in order to receive payments but have never seen any type of requirement.

Jeff

Vintagecatcher 05-10-2011 10:42 PM

PayPal Account

I just spoke to a PayPal rep that verified that in order to lift a spending limit on my account that I would need to link to my bank account. I told the rep that I was strictly a eBay purchaser, and that I not comfortable linking my bank account, so I'm done with PayPal and eBay.

Patrick

Vintagecatcher 05-10-2011 10:50 PM

PayPal Account

I was under the impression that eBay had forced sellers to only use PayPal.

Is my understanding incorrect? Or do sellers still accept other forms of payments?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

steve B 05-11-2011 05:43 AM

They only allow certain forms of payment. Paypal, Merchant CC processing, and one other online payment place that's a Paypal knockoff with higher fees. I'm not sure, but they may require a seller to take Paypal.

But there'a a loophole in the fine print that allows a seller to take any form of payment they're comfortable with IF the buyer has a reason for not wanting to use Paypal. Like picking up in person, or not having a CC.

I'm not sure you'd find many buyers wiling to take other payments. There are some good things about Paypal, among them the integrated click and ship which gets a tiny discount and free delivery confirmation for priority and cheap DC for first class. With the online postage you don' even have to go to a post office, the carrier picks it up.

Edited to say that a seller can't state in the listing that they will take other payments. You have to ask.

Steve B

D. Bergin 05-11-2011 06:57 AM

Yeah, I'll take any form of payment anybody wants to send to me, but I'm not allowed to say what those might be in the listing.

Just a venue. ;)

Vintagecatcher 05-11-2011 11:28 AM

Article regarding getting verified for PayPal

Thought this article was interesting since this is what I'm experiencing with them as well. (Read the section regarding PayPal.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/28/yo...28haggler.html

Patrick

CowboysGuide 05-11-2011 11:47 AM

You can open a new bank acct for this purpose. Who knows, you may end up selling someday and need to xfer $ out of your PP acct.