Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Please keep an eye out for this M101-2 Cobb that eBay/FedEx lost (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=347980)

Bliggity 04-02-2024 11:25 AM

Please keep an eye out for this M101-2 Cobb that eBay/FedEx lost

Ugh, this was one of my white whales. Won on eBay on 3/10. Seller sent it to the eBay authenticator. It was authenticated on 3/14 and the authenticator uploaded a tracking number. Then it disappeared. The authenticator can't find it and thinks it went to FedEx, but FedEx tracking shows that FedEx never received it. eBay is going to refund me but of course I'd rather have the Cobb. I'm not sure if it's lost or stolen, but if anyone happens to see this pop up online or elsewhere, please let me know!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3465b8fb_b.jpg

calvindog 04-02-2024 11:38 AM

Damn, that's painful to read. Good luck, I hope it shows up.

doug.goodman 04-02-2024 11:44 AM

Ugh.

Sorry.

NiceDocter 04-02-2024 12:13 PM

yikes

Ive got an unusual item I bought off eBay raw on its way to the "authenticators" now..... makes me kind of nervous after reading this..... good luck to us both!!!

Bliggity 04-03-2024 03:15 PM

Well today was another kick in the pants from eBay...and good information to know if you buy/sell M101-2 or similar sets.

Last week I auctioned a M101-2 Mathewson on eBay. Before listing it I looked around at other M101-2 listings. They all seemed to be listed as "sports trading cards" and then secondarily as "trading card singles," so I listed mine the same way. It sold and I shipped it to the authenticator. The authenticator sent a message today saying that they could not authenticate the item because it was miscategorized. Rather than sending it back to me though, they went ahead and sent it to the buyer, without the authentication, so at least that's good. (I've been messaging with the buyer and he doesn't have any concerns about this.)

So even though the transaction is going through, I called eBay customer service to ask how it was miscategorized so I can avoid that in the future. The rep checked with a supervisor, and then told me that the item should have been listed as "vintage sports memorabilia," rather than a sports trading card. She then said that the authenticator will only authenticate cards and not other memorabilia, so the M101-2 Mathewson really never should have been sent to the authenticator in the first place.

"But that's not true!", I said. I explained that a few weeks ago, I had won the M101-2 Cobb discussed above in an eBay auction. It had also been categorized as a "sports trading card," and it was sent to the authenticator, AND IT WAS AUTHENTICATED rather than being rejected as miscategorized. The rep was perplexed and checked again with her supervisor. After 15 minutes on hold, they concluded that the M101-2 Cobb I won was also miscategorized, and the authenticator never should have authenticated it. In fact, it never should have been sent to the authenticator to begin with.

In which case, I would currently have it in my possession.

(Bangs head against desk)

Leon 04-05-2024 01:00 PM

That's some crap. Hope Cobby gets found, Dan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bliggity (Post 2424292)
Well today was another kick in the pants from eBay...and good information to know if you buy/sell M101-2 or similar sets.

Last week I auctioned a M101-2 Mathewson on eBay. Before listing it I looked around at other M101-2 listings. They all seemed to be listed as "sports trading cards" and then secondarily as "trading card singles," so I listed mine the same way. It sold and I shipped it to the authenticator. The authenticator sent a message today saying that they could not authenticate the item because it was miscategorized. Rather than sending it back to me though, they went ahead and sent it to the buyer, without the authentication, so at least that's good. (I've been messaging with the buyer and he doesn't have any concerns about this.)

So even though the transaction is going through, I called eBay customer service to ask how it was miscategorized so I can avoid that in the future. The rep checked with a supervisor, and then told me that the item should have been listed as "vintage sports memorabilia," rather than a sports trading card. She then said that the authenticator will only authenticate cards and not other memorabilia, so the M101-2 Mathewson really never should have been sent to the authenticator in the first place.

"But that's not true!", I said. I explained that a few weeks ago, I had won the M101-2 Cobb discussed above in an eBay auction. It had also been categorized as a "sports trading card," and it was sent to the authenticator, AND IT WAS AUTHENTICATED rather than being rejected as miscategorized. The rep was perplexed and checked again with her supervisor. After 15 minutes on hold, they concluded that the M101-2 Cobb I won was also miscategorized, and the authenticator never should have authenticated it. In fact, it never should have been sent to the authenticator to begin with.

Yoda 04-05-2024 02:19 PM

The hits just keep coming.

The Detroit Collector 04-05-2024 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bliggity (Post 2424292)

Ive won M101-2's last year that went to authentication. Sounds like hogwash.

Flintboy 04-05-2024 07:24 PM

I really wish EBay would give the buyer the option of opting out of the authenticity on graded cards. If I buy from a known seller, check the cert number, and look at the good scans provided, I’m completely comfortable with my purchase. Still seems idiotic to me have another grading company tell me that their competing grading company’s card is legit.

rjackson44 04-06-2024 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintboy (Post 2424708)
I really wish EBay would give the buyer the option of opting out of the authenticity on graded cards. If I buy from a known seller, check the cert number, and look at the good scans provided, I’m completely comfortable with my purchase. Still seems idiotic to me have another grading company tell me that their competing grading company’s card is legit.

Stupidity from ebay wasting collectors time agreed 100 pct