Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about ticket stub value... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=160132)

jgmp123 12-12-2012 07:58 PM

Question about ticket stub value...

1 Attachment(s)
I recently picked up a ticket stub from a Brooklyn Dodgers vs. Cincinnati Reds game played on June 15th, 1952.

Here is some info on the game and a pic of the stub...was really wanting to know what kind of value/significance this ticket has....

Thanks in advance guys!!:D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...95206150.shtml

Scott Garner 12-12-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1062070)
I recently picked up a ticket stub from a Brooklyn Dodgers vs. Cincinnati Reds game played on June 15th, 1952.

Here is some info on the game and a pic of the stub...was really wanting to know what kind of value/significance this ticket has....

Thanks in advance guys!!:D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...95206150.shtml

Hi James,
Nice ticket stub featuring The Bum's vs. The Reds at Ebbet's in 1952. Not much noteworthy to report in the boxscore that would drive value. The heart shaped hole punches indicate that the patron attending the game had a complimentary seat. Tickets of this type were called "Annie Oakley's" because they appeared to have bullet holes in them. All teams did something similar. Value of ticket is $12- $15 max.

I hope this helps!

jgmp123 12-12-2012 10:31 PM

Scott,

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I was looking for. I was able to find one more pretty cool tidbit about this game...Found this on the Walter O'Malley Official Website.

June 15, 1952
As a way for fans to get closer to the players, Walter O’Malley introduces the first Autograph Day in the history of Brooklyn’s Ebbets Field. Dodger players were stationed in booths under the grandstand prior to the game with the Cincinnati Reds.

Scott Garner 12-13-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1062117)
Scott,

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I was looking for. I was able to find one more pretty cool tidbit about this game...Found this on the Walter O'Malley Official Website.

June 15, 1952
As a way for fans to get closer to the players, Walter O’Malley introduces the first Autograph Day in the history of Brooklyn’s Ebbets Field. Dodger players were stationed in booths under the grandstand prior to the game with the Cincinnati Reds.

James,
That's a nice extra bit of info that might drive interest with a Brooklyn Dodger's fan.

mr2686 12-13-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgmp123 (Post 1062117)
Scott,

June 15, 1952

That's a pretty cool bit of info. The Dodgers continued that tradition at least through the 70's in L.A. on Sunday home games. Still remember being pissed off that I got Walt Alston after waiting in line...not so pissed anymore :)

36GoudeyMan 12-19-2012 03:39 PM

Authenticating

With that extra bit of info, it might be worth having PSA authenticate it with the extra designation of "1st Dodgers Autograph Day" or something. Its those little things that make a ticket more valuable. With that kind of kicker, it could carry a premium, maybe as much as $30. I collect stubs and find that the significance of a game definitely piques my interest in the stub. I believe I have on that is identified as "1st Presidential Attendance at Night Game," or something terribly trivial like that.

Scott Garner 12-19-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan (Post 1064543)
With that extra bit of info, it might be worth having PSA authenticate it with the extra designation of "1st Dodgers Autograph Day" or something. Its those little things that make a ticket more valuable. With that kind of kicker, it could carry a premium, maybe as much as $30. I collect stubs and find that the significance of a game definitely piques my interest in the stub. I believe I have on that is identified as "1st Presidential Attendance at Night Game," or something terribly trivial like that.

Good point, but...
Just curious, how much would it cost to slab the ticket? A ticket doesn't need a plastic holder telling you what it is in order to sell on eBay. Case in point, a ticket to Bob Feller's 1st win just sold for $945 on eBay last night. No PSA slab, BTW.

Full disclosure: My bias is that I don't PSA slab tickets, FWIW. I have never bought or sold a baseball ticket in a slab in 40 years. A well described auction with a xerox copy of a newspaper article describing the event, or a link to the info online will always suffice.

Rob D. 12-19-2012 06:27 PM

Scott brings up a good point, and I'll just add that one of the nice things about many (but not all) tickets and ticket stubs is that with the date being printed on them, it doesn't take a lot of detective work to find out or verify whether something notable happened in that game. You certainly don't need, in most cases, a third-party grader to state the obvious.