Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wonder what you think re: this classic Matty (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247342)

GregMitch34 11-10-2017 07:31 AM

Wonder what you think re: this classic Matty

1 Attachment(s)
I recently won this at REA, as a big Matty fan and fan of the Noveltys. Thought I got a good price, as it was under what had been paid earlier for a 1.5 and an Auth. Only 3 graded at PSA--and only one higher, so it's a tough card for sure. It's a sharp card, overall VG-EX or VG ++++, only the faintest small crease, back is great and of course image is great. BUT I wonder if price was depressed by people thinking it is over-graded due to that missing right corner...should have been docked even more....or, perhaps grade is correct, but some people just won't go for something with that bad a corner, even for a beauty of a card. Your thoughts?

Leon 11-10-2017 07:40 AM

Where is Matty? All I see is a missing corner. Honestly that is a disgrace to me in a 2 holder, should have been a 1. Just my opinion.

HRBAKER 11-10-2017 07:42 AM

Two things, IMO - you got a good deal and the card is overgraded.
My guess is the corner is indeed the reason the bidding may have been less spirited. Still a beautiful card that is missing a corner.

seablaster 11-10-2017 07:47 AM

Another vote for the postcard being overgraded. I would suggest not relying on the PSA pop report too heavily for this particular issue. I'm not sure most collectors feel a burning desire to get their Novelty Cutlery postcards in a PSA slab or any TPG slab for that matter.

If you're happy with the postcard at the price you paid, then that's all that really matters.

RedsFan1941 11-10-2017 07:58 AM

terribly overgraded. the missing corner would be a deal killer for so many collectors. great that you’re ok with it.

GregMitch34 11-10-2017 08:13 AM

Ha, I'm not really "ok with it....."

ValKehl 11-11-2017 04:09 PM

Greg, FYI, SGC has graded 5 of these Matty PCs.

calvindog 11-11-2017 04:21 PM

I honestly didn't even notice the bottom corner until reading Leon's post -- the image is that strong and the card is probably a 4/5 without the missing piece. That being said, it's too big a piece missing to warrant a 2 grade. As a 1 it's really in the eye of the beholder as to what it's worth. Could be worth a 2 and could be worth an A, depending on who's looking at it.

brianp-beme 11-11-2017 05:53 PM

You got it a good price and it is fantastic looking despite the missing corner...who cares how it is graded? Great pickup for a collection, and maybe someday if you upgrade you should still do fine selling it because there are plenty of collectors willing to ignore a problematic corner on such a desirable piece.

Brian

BearBailey 11-11-2017 06:14 PM

It’s a really neat piece and most importantly you are happy with it, which is more important than what any of us think.

Aaron Seefeldt 11-11-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1718613)
Where is Matty? All I see is a missing corner. Honestly that is a disgrace to me in a 2 holder, should have been a 1. Just my opinion.

I agree with Leon

daves_resale_shop 11-11-2017 06:50 PM

Matty

Awesome card Greg! Congrats!

JollyElm 11-11-2017 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fixed the corner for you...

Attachment 294583

yanksfan09 11-11-2017 08:01 PM

It's a great looking card and a very tough issue, so I'd be happy to have it either way!

Having said that I think I have a bit of a different take on it.

I've always felt in situations like that you could have a card with normal naturally heavily rounded corners, where essentially you have the same amount of lost card-stock at each corner, but the shape is evenly rounded. In these situations its just considered normal wear and cards like this can grade 1.5-2. but obviously because its more jagged and was torn it's looked at differently by collectors. But when you think about it you could have a more worn card with evenly well rounded corners on all 4 corners , resulting in more % of total card loss and still get the same or slightly higher grade (like 2.5).

I think it's up to the card owner whether they prefer a more evenly worn and rounded card or a less worn card with 3 sharp corners and one damaged one.

bnorth 11-11-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop (Post 1719157)
Awesome card Greg! Congrats!

+1 beautiful card, nice pick up.

yanksfan09 11-11-2017 08:04 PM

I also think that you have to give the extra large size cards more leeway in areas like this and compare a corner like this to a small card like a T206 with a similar issue. You need to think what the percentage of missing card stock is. A Ding or tear on a large card may look very large in person but if you take into account the total card stock loss in terms of percentage against a small issue card like a T or E card, the paper loss may not really be that big (percentage wise).

MVSNYC 11-11-2017 08:07 PM

I think it presents very well. Great pose of him, and it sounds like it's rare.

I owned a T206 BL460 for years that had a missing corner, but was otherwise presentable. I was happy to own the card, especially due to it's rarity.

Enjoy owning the card, it's very nice.

orly57 11-11-2017 10:40 PM

Greg, that card is awesome. Pop 3 psa and pop 5 sgc. There are 8 known copies of this and you own one of them. I can see where the missing corner would bother some if this were say, a t206 Piedmont pop 2,000 (oh, and there are MANY ungraded t206s out there too) but that isn't the case here. Is it a 2? No, but who cares? Personally, I prefer rarity over condition, especially when the condition is fantastic other a missing 1/200th of the card.
Im not sure why a previous poster thinks that collectors choose not to grade NC's in particular, but I would love to hear his logic since NCs have sold at auction (and privately) for huge amounts of money. Not saying there aren't any raw out there, but I will bet there aren't many.

Kawika 11-11-2017 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The grade is irrelevant. Great image of Matty. The notched corner is about the last thing you see. In any event with a rare card sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

Leon 11-12-2017 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt (Post 1719156)
I agree with Leon

The OP asked for an opinion and we gave one. I don't personally think the card is rare enough for me to stomach the corner missing. But that is just me and you :). On some other cards I barely see it but on that one I just saw it and couldn't take my eyes off it. Hey, I have nice cards with chunks missing too. All that matters is you like the card. The other parts of it are very nice. I recently passed up a higher grade T205 Cobby due to a spec of tobacco on his head. We all have things we do and don't like. Each card is different to me.

frankbmd 11-12-2017 06:35 AM

The larger cabinet-type cards frequently have problems only with the borders and not the image.
Personally I tend to focus on the image and not the pinholes, border stains and missing corners.
I agree with those who suggest that the grade is irrelevant, whether it is technically accurate or not.

The character of such a card can be enhanced by its defects.
I like to look at my $18 T3 and wonder who stole home plate and why.:eek:

https://www.collectorfocus.com/image...checklist-back

pherbener 11-12-2017 07:32 AM

Greg. Great card and awesome pickup btw! As a Matty collector, I was back and forth over upping my bid on that one. The corner kept me from going higher. For $1500 you got a great deal on an amazing piece!

RedsFan1941 11-12-2017 08:24 AM

interesting thread. not sure how one can say the missing corner doesn’t matter, then say what a great deal the buyer got. if the price on a card like this is a “deal,” then in large part it is because of the missing corner. not that there’s anything wrong with that. i have more off condition cards in my collection than I care to count, so i am no cardboard snob. I just realize them for what they are.

GregMitch34 11-12-2017 09:27 AM

I'm still divided, as elsewhere I am a bit of nut on centering and lack of obvious flaws, so this was not a typical purchase (and only because Matty fan). Right or not, I'd probably sell the card for what I paid.

calvindog 11-12-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 1719210)
The grade is irrelevant. Great image of Matty. The notched corner is about the last thing you see. In any event with a rare card sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

David, you should sell me that Hilltop Park PC for a price which suggests that 100% of the card is present in the holder.

GregMitch34 11-13-2017 03:04 PM

I guess some claim Matty was only 95% as good as WaJo.