Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rea! Rea!! Rea!!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253622)

Sean 04-14-2018 03:54 PM

Just got my catalogue, post office delivered it. And I still have one high bid.

And now I will stop the updates on that one bid until May 7. :rolleyes:

Rhotchkiss 04-14-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1767386)
Just got my catalogue, post office delivered it. And I still have one high bid.

And now I will stop the updates on that one bid until May 7. :rolleyes:

My catalog goes straight into the recycling bin.... I have been outbid on all 40+ lots I bid on (totally expected). I have not placed a max bid, only placeholders, and the next 20 days will be spent on deciding what 1-5 cards I really want to pursue. Because I blew my wad on a t206 plank last month, I won’t be a contender on any real big boy cards, but, IMO, the biggest superstar (and there are many) is the CJ Matty - I have seen and held it and it is awesome.

The May pickups thread should be fun...

Oh, and as an aside, now that REA is out, do we even care that Heritage is ending in 5 days...??!!

Peter_Spaeth 04-14-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1767403)
My catalog goes straight into the recycling bin.... I have been outbid on all 40+ lots I bid on (totally expected). I have not placed a max bid, only placeholders, and the next 20 will be spent on deciding what 1-5 cards I really want to pursue. Because I blew my wad on a t206 plank last month, I won’t be a contender on any real big boy cards, but, IMO, the biggest superstar (and there are many) is the CJ Matty - I have seen and held it and it is awesome.

The May pickups thread should be fun...

Oh, and as an aside, now that REA is out, do we even care that Heritage is ending in 5 days...??!!

I don't know why REA auctions inspire these lengthy threads and Heritage -- IMO the clear industry leader now -- never does.

Bored5000 04-14-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1767405)
I don't know why REA auctions inspire these lengthy threads and Heritage -- IMO the clear industry leader now -- never does.

IMO, because REA only runs twice a year.

Rhotchkiss 04-14-2018 04:55 PM

I think they are both amazing. Between the two, however, I think REA has the edge on content and Heritage is superior on auction format (interface/auction website, per-lot extended bidding, allowing bids between increments, etc).

calvindog 04-14-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1767334)
You are probably right, as I end up the high bidder probably 50% of the time when all is said and done. End of the day, no matter how you play it, if you want the card, you need to be high bidder when it’s all said and done

LOL painful truth. If you want the card enough, you'll do what you need to get it. And there's always some jerk out there willing to pay whatever it is to get it. Just hope he's not collecting the same things as you. Cough.

x2drich2000 04-14-2018 05:05 PM

I don't think one bidding strategy is going to work best in all situations. I think your lake front property cards aren't worth trying to scare people from cause they will always be desirable and there are enough whales who want the best of the best. However, I firmly believe you certainly can discourage people from bidding on ghetto and flood zone cards where people will want to consider all better options before settling.

That said, I've placed over 100 bids in REA so far and only 1 lot have I placed a max bid (which I think is pretty obvious) and I'm still high on that one with plenty of room to increase more :cool:

calvindog 04-14-2018 05:05 PM

PS big improvement on the REA site: you no longer have to click on an extra button to see thumbnails of the lots you bid on. That's actually a nice addition and much appreciated.

ullmandds 04-14-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 1767417)
I don't think one bidding strategy is going to work best in all situations. I think your lake front property cards aren't worth trying to scare people from cause they will always be desirable and there are enough whales who want the best of the best. However, I firmly believe you certainly can discourage people from bidding on ghetto and flood zone cards where people will want to consider all better options before settling.

That said, I've placed over 100 bids in REA so far and only 1 lot have I placed a max bid (which I think is pretty obvious) and I'm still high on that one with plenty of room to increase more :cool:

haha...flood zone cards!!!

ullmandds 04-14-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1767405)

REA is REA...but Heritage's current auction has a tremendous marquis in the mantle and is a much more interesting auction for me.

The Nadjas, the E98's, lots of caramels, sporting life cobb, plowboys, oj's, m101-6 ruth, nice cj's...nm7 ruth rookie...amazing stuff.

That sf hess Welch is sick!