Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thoughts on a card collection (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237498)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-28-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1645406)
Things seem to get really tough at the upper end of grading. I've only done a handful of modern cards and those through SGC. I had a huge batch of 81 Topps, and picked what I thought were almost perfect examples of commons that had low populations in PSA 9 and 10. (SGC has almost no population on those at all) Didn't do all that bad, but didn't do all that good either. A couple 9s, mostly 8 or 8.5, The other modern stuff also got 8s.

I'd target a few likely ones, looking at the population. For the minis it's probably worth the chance on a few as part of a bigger submission. But they have to be really almost perfect.

Steve B

Just got back a few PSA's and wanna throw up. I had a Jackie that I thought for sure was a PSA 7. I mean this card was perfect. How does it come back a 4? I louped this thing inside out. Centering corners surface, etc etc. Thought it could grab a 8 even. I swear this grading stuff is all politics. I will scan it when it arrives.

ullmandds 03-28-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1645418)
Just got back a few PSA's and wanna throw up. I had a Jackie that I thought for sure was a PSA 7. I mean this card was perfect. How does it come back a 4? I louped this thing inside out. Centering corners surface, etc etc. Thought it could grab a 8 even. I swear this grading stuff is all politics. I will scan it when it arrives.

welcome to the corrupt world of TPGing services! I c you started at the top!!!!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-28-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1645421)
welcome to the corrupt world of TPGing services! I c you started at the top!!!!

Ugh tell me about it. What does started at the top mean?

ullmandds 03-28-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1645422)
Ugh tell me about it. What does started at the top mean?

PSA...the most corrupt of them all!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-28-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1645425)
PSA...the most corrupt of them all!

Any time I send a autograph in it comes back bad and any time I send in cards they come back severely under graded IMO. It really sucks to be honest because it costs me money up front and costs me more money when they under grade it. I am a very very critical grader when it comes to cards, so I think I might be better off listing raw and selling raw. No one has ever complained about a card they purchased raw from me, as I usually under promise and over deliver (or try to at least)

bnorth 03-28-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1645418)

You did say you did not understand grading. It is apparent in your for sale post of the 75 mini cards. They are not even close to NM-MT.

Yes PSA is a joke but I rarely see cards under graded for people. With them it is more over grading for some submitters.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-28-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1645428)
You did say you did not understand grading. It is apparent in your for sale post of the 75 mini cards. They are not even close to NM-MT.

Yes PSA is a joke but I rarely see cards under graded for people. With them it is more over grading for some submitters.

Which one of the cards were not NMMT other than the Carter out of curiosity. I put the carter as a 6 because the gloss is there and most corners.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-28-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1645432)
Which one of the cards were not NMMT other than the Carter out of curiosity. I put the carter as a 6 because the gloss is there and most corners.

I feel they're all 6's and 7's. I see at least a touch or two on every card, corner or border. centering issues and diamond cut issues. You MIGHT sneak an eight out of that group but I would be surprised, and that's going by an unmagnified scan. If I had them in hand it would likely be worse news.

Beastmode 03-28-2017 11:09 PM

Looking at your cards posted, I would not send those in. off-center and worn corners. Guessing 5-6's? I collect both high end raw and PSA 9's for this year. But I also have an extensive cardboard lab to look at cards.

Don't worry, lot's of folks think they have NM-MT raw cards. 99% of them are wrong also.

irishdenny 03-28-2017 11:42 PM

Hey There Stephen!,

I'm a Lil Late to the Party However,
If You Wanting PSA 10's:

1st off ~ Put aside the Cards that are Off Center, Diamond Cut etc...
2nd ~ Same wit Surface damage
3rd ~ Same wit Dinged Corner's
4th ~ Same wit Edge wear, Damage

And You Can Really Do a Good Job By Purchasing One of These:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5gim6Kht6o

Get Rid of the Loupe, it'll Only Cause You issues...
Because You Won't SEE the ABOVE ISSUEs!!!

GLTY!!!