Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Have T206 drastic miscuts come back to reality? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245534)

CMIZ5290 09-29-2017 07:17 PM

delete...

philliesphan 10-02-2017 02:41 AM

Hi Kevin-

I don't know what you originally posted (and subsequently deleted), but I think prices on T206 miscuts are likely to retain good value over time.

Now, was there a blip in prices that brought them up to the stratosphere? Perhaps. But I don't see prices going much below their current levels. I know I recently purchased a severe miscut for my personal collection that, although traded a few times publicly, will unlikely see the light of day for many years.

We've seen a lot of changes in T206 collecting and valuation over the past 10-15 years. One thing that is clear to me is that demand for T206s increases in a way that is not seen in other period sets (such as T205, T207, some of the E* series). Whether prices increase because of hoarding (Titus), scarce backs, proofs, or misprints, I think the past 15 years have shown a general "up and to the right" dynamic on pricing of the rare and esoteric from this set. Given that a beater scarce back can go in the thousands, and that the number of severe miscuts is very very small, I would imagine that the correction we've seen is likely to be a bottom from a pricing perspective.

Marc

(Collector of T206 Phillies - from high grade common backs, to scarce backs, to proofs, to miscuts)

Blunder19 10-02-2017 07:44 AM

Hi Kevin,

I'd have to agree with Marc... T206 drastic Miscuts seem to always have a market.. even when a few big collectors drop out.. the cards are still selling for thousands in auction houses.... The more drastic the miscut, the more value I have seen them hold...

Are they selling for $9-$10K anymore? No... but I think they could get back to that level with only a few new collectors becoming interested in errors.

1952boyntoncollector 10-02-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1705806)
delete...

The mystery of starting a thread for a discussion then deleting the first post..

calvindog 10-02-2017 08:14 AM

Mystery Solved

Suggesting that they've come down in value after making lowball offers to multiple people with drastic miscuts -- and being turned down -- will not cause the value of the cards to go down.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/...ff7691b1_z.jpg https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3232/...22b05349_o.jpg

Leon 10-02-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1706579)
Suggesting that they've come down in value after making lowball offers to multiple people with drastic miscuts -- and being turned down -- will not cause the value of the cards to go down.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/...ff7691b1_z.jpg https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3232/...22b05349_o.jpg

So you are saying $12600 won't get it? LOL.....

ullmandds 10-02-2017 08:49 AM

This is classic!!!!!!!!!!

philliesphan 10-02-2017 09:09 AM

Here's the thing that Kevin and many advanced T206 collectors know:

Ted and others have gone to extra ordinary lengths to document the back profiles for many of the advertising backs, with even Red Hindus, Drums and Uzits having potentially dozens of examples extant, many of them trading privately and through auctions over the past 15 years.

For true severe miscuts, how many are documented to be out there? I can name perhaps ten off the top of my head, but I don't think there are (m)any more than that that are documented and have traded hands either publicly or privately. Hell, one of those ten is such an long-time known example that it was graded by Alan Hager.

We can argue the demand side of the equation all we want, but there's simply not a meaningful supply other than those handful of examples that are known.

m

1952boyntoncollector 10-02-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Yes that solves the mystery. I guess I know what the point of his post was now.

As a side note..whoever has been using Yahoo mail for more than 5 years and has less than 100 messages, they are my hero

MVSNYC 10-02-2017 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Marc, Jamie, agreed.

Chris Browne created this montage, not saying this is every miscut that exists, but it certainly has the most dramatic ones known. (not sure why it's posting so low-res).

Pat R 10-02-2017 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1706637)
Marc, Jamie, agreed.

Chris Browne created this montage, not saying this is every miscut that exists, but it certainly has the most dramatic ones known. (not sure why it's posting so low-res).

Hi Mike,

The montage is missing this one that Chris previously owned.
Attachment 289707

iowadoc77 10-02-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1706637)
Marc, Jamie, agreed.

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing.

2dueces 10-02-2017 12:29 PM

And somewhere is a printer from 1910ish laughing his butt off and thinking his descendants could be billionaires if he didn't throw away all the trials, his mess ups and color proofs during his time. Who would've figured? Oh and he's laughing in his grave unfortunately.

MVSNYC 10-02-2017 01:14 PM

Patrick- Ah, yes. I love that card. If Chris is listening, maybe he can update his montage to include it. I'll see if it'll let me post the higher-res image tonight.

Bpm0014 10-02-2017 01:44 PM

So he started a thread topic with no intentions of ever starting a thread....to get the attention of people....to falsely suggest that miscuts have come down in value....to spite those that wouldn't sell him one....cheaply? No way...

ullmandds 10-02-2017 02:04 PM

has kevin been given a time out?

orly57 10-02-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Thank god that wasn't a PM or you would be in big trouble with the board police. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I am sure it is significant and meaningful. Thanks for the laugh though. The stunts guys pull in this hobby to turn a profit are amazing. Nice Perry Mason moment there impeaching the witness.

charlietheexterminator 10-02-2017 02:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the 3 of the 4 miscuts in my collection

calvindog 10-02-2017 03:01 PM

PS only the "drastic miscuts" have come down in value. The plain old OC qualified cards are at an all time high.

orly57 10-02-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1706717)
PS only the "drastic miscuts" have come down in value. The plain old OC qualified cards are at an all time high.

How would I go about finding some of those???

mrvster 10-02-2017 05:25 PM

hello all!

great posts so far! marc, some great insight

I have been extremely busy the last few weeks as I am sure everyone is...

I want to start a thread on "current freak market" values on 206

but I have been so lazy:o:o

I will get to it soon.....

anyway, great insight so far.....there are SO SO many variables I need to touch on, it will take a while to get it together....

anyway, as you know I am obsessed with these cards...

as for miscuts, too many variables to list...

here is a VERY VERY VERY basic rule to apply "generally for now"

the more "dramatic " the freak= the more value/demand....

miscut generalities:

rarity scale for now....below is the rarity each occurs

50%-50% being considered the rarest

......greater disparity(40%-60% less 30%-70% less ect ect)

front miscuts-

1) 2 different player front miscut showing 2 different players top to bottom on front(like jamie's lake/pastorius)- these are the rarest of the rare!!!!.....2 or 3 different known examples....a true anomaly.....4k-6k generally speaking right now...(please, this is a very general range!!!)... they can go way higher/lower-it is an extreme "niche" market.....depends......10k is not out of the question, neither is 2k.....depends extremely on timing, venue, player subject , % miscut, condition, ect ect ect...

2) 2 different front side to side miscuts showing,of course, 2 different players(as for the majority of the sheets/rows/columns- same player in the column but different players in the rows!)
(none are listed in this thread, but I have owned 1 or 2)-

we are not 100 % sure, as there currently is no evidence of a 206 sheet known to survive....apparently, tho, some columns had differents players(stacked on the bottom or top) as evidenced by pastoruis/lake.....but the side to side miscuts showing the next player are almost as rare as the above stated.....there are so few of these, pricing can go anywhere! but they are generally 2k about....I have never seen a 50-50% side to side front miscut, but that would be a 4-6 k card also!!!

3) front "top to bottom" miscut (player name showing on bottom like joss in the thread).....these are generally more rare than the "front bottom to top miscut" like green cobb, Jordan , ect.........generally speaking, these are rarer as to why the printer misloaded / realigned improperly sheets less than the latter, maybe the way the press crop marks were aligned???the sheet clip holder???caused more probability of the sheets to be more miscut one way or the other...perhaps we will never know..... that's why you see a lot of 206 with the miscut showing the "name at top"

unfortunately, we never really see a 50-50% miscut on these(like the joss port), they are rarer than the "bottom to tops", but don't command the same premiums of the "bottom to tops" as those are generally more drastically cut approaching close to 50-50% of a miscuts......$800-$3000+ are usually the range of these(like joss)....again, depends on the "drastic ness" of it , which would be the closer to 50-50% miscut, player, condition, is a unique one? demand, ect

4) front" bottom to top" miscut (player name showing on top like the Cobb, Jordan, Doolin above)

less "rarer" than the "top to bottom" but they command more of a "dramatic " look as they approach more 50-50 % miscut

Cobb - sky is the limit there! that's an iconic card ! can go very high !! not sure....20-25 k??+ maybe more???:confused: would hate to even guess on that the way green cobbs are exploding !! Jordan, knight, ect ect 3k-5 or 6k even....really depends:confused:

REMEMBER!!!!!! once they get close to 50-50% ...."top to bottom" and "bottom to top" become one in the same:)
I have never seen one

this is an extremely "niche " market and timing is critical on value.....many....many....many other factors/variables on value

- subject matter(Cobb green vs Doolin), rarity(are there other exact player examples known)??, supply(how many exist), demand (who is in the market at that time), condition, "drastic" ness(is it a 20 % 30%??? top to bottom, bottom to top??? 50-50%).....among some

t206 rarities anomalies are always going to be in demand.....the price ranges will differ ......kind of like cyclical economy, stock market, ect....

volitilty sometimes is high, but these are always in demand:)

what I 100 % know

THESE ARE AWESOME!

Blunder19 10-02-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 1706653)
Hi Mike,

The montage is missing this one that Chris previously owned.
Attachment 289707

Love this card!!!! SGC didnt even know which player to put on the flip..... just went with the player who had his face showing... My favorite drastic miscut... :)
https://i.imgur.com/QzCu1EV.jpg

MVSNYC 10-02-2017 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi-Res image...

Jantz 10-03-2017 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If Stahl is allowed, then I think this one qualifies as well.

Pat R 10-03-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1706861)
If Stahl is allowed, then I think this one qualifies as well.

Hi Jantz,

That Young is in the montage 4th one in from the end.

Pat R 10-03-2017 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm no Chris when it comes to these but here's an updated montage.

Attachment 289780

Peter_Spaeth 10-03-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 1706895)
I'm no Chris when it comes to these but here's an updated montage.

Attachment 289780

Johnny V. may not be able to stand it. :D

Pat R 10-03-2017 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're looking for a split front rarity here's one that a board member posted last year.

Attachment 289782

philliesphan 10-03-2017 10:02 AM

Pat - this is a thread about T206s. Pirate backs are a dime-a-dozen and widely forgotten about. Please keep to the topic at hand!

:p

Jantz 10-03-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 1706880)
Hi Jantz,

That Young is in the montage 4th one in from the end.

My bad.

I see it now Pat. I was looking at the blown up version of the montage and the Young was cut off. I should have looked at the original posting of the montage in it's miniature state. :)

Pat R 10-03-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesphan (Post 1706924)
Pat - this is a thread about T206s. Pirate backs are a dime-a-dozen and widely forgotten about. Please keep to the topic at hand!

:p

Whoops!! My apologies.

Pat R 10-03-2017 11:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1706910)
Johnny V. may not be able to stand it. :D

Actually he might be mad. Mike reminded me there is a third Jordan
that Johnny owns or previously owned.

Attachment 289803

Attachment 289813

mrvster 10-03-2017 04:51 PM

Pat

hahahaha!!! good one!! yes that was my Jordan, my Bradley I used to own is up there also...I love the 2 different player miscuts....also love how the 3 jordans, the doolans ect are all miscut different...

by far, green cobb my favorite!:)

Cammy I would say is closest to 50-50% I have seen so far, with cobb next...

great input! Mike's knight is one of the cleanest I have seen so far...

has anyone seen a 50-50%?????????? meyers pirate!:eek: WOW!

I have traded all of my miscuts.....I still have a lot of scraps tho:D

these are really cool:cool::)

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

This coming from an attorney, how classy...If I was in the drug or mob business, you could represent me....For someone to post communication between 2 parties, how classless is that? Really Jeff?

1952boyntoncollector 10-04-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1707350)
This coming from an attorney, how classy...I wish I was in the drug business, you could represent me....

Thats your comeback? What was the point of that... maybe another post of your for you to delete.

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1707352)
Thats your comeback? What was the point of that... maybe another post of your for you to delete.

You are a moron who has been back and forth on the board, nice of you to chime in Jakey boy....

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1707350)
This coming from an attorney, how classy...If I was in the drug or mob business, you could represent me....For someone to post communication between 2 parties, how classless is that? Really Jeff?

You lowballing, talent-scouting (LOL) dirtbag. You got exposed (again) for exactly what you are: the biggest scumbag on Net 54.

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1707357)
You lowballing, talent-scouting (LOL) dirtbag. You got exposed (again) for exactly what you are: the biggest scumbag on Net 54.

I'm sorry that my name is not Gotti Lichtman......You're the dirtbag...

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1707361)
I'm sorry that my name is not Gotti Lichtman......

That doesn't even make sense. I mean, you're so dumb that you can't even think up an insult that makes sense.

But you do manage to slime your way on the BST, lowballing everyone, overcharging your shitty OC cards. And creating threads designed in your mind to lower the value of cards you can't afford. Do you actually think a scumbag lowlife like you can move a market?

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:23 PM

PS it took you 2 1/2 days to come up with that?

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1707362)
That doesn't even make sense. I mean, you're so dumb that you can't even think up an insult that makes sense.

But you do manage to slime your way on the BST, lowballing everyone, overcharging your shitty OC cards. And creating threads designed in your mind to lower the value of cards you can't afford. Do you actually think a scumbag lowlife like you can move a market?

Lower the value of cards? Really? You offered the Cobb Miscut to me for $20,000, and then you posted a few days ago a thread saying you had been offered $35,000. You're pissed off because I offered $12,500 after your initial offer. Get over it...

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1707366)
Lower the value of cards? Really? You offered the Cobb Miscut to me for $20,000, and then you posted a few days ago a thread saying you had been offered $35,000. You're pissed off because I offered $12,500 after your initial offer. Get over it...

First of all, I never responded to your email of the other day as you full well know. I wouldn't sell you a card if you were the last lowballing scumbag on earth.

Oh -- and I see you're a you're a "talent scout" with A to Z entertainment, Inc.? Valdosta, GA is a real hotbed of comedic talent, huh? I don't know how you don't kill yourself.

http://www.comediansandspeakers.com/about-2/

888-655-4575 Here's the number in case someone has comedic needs to be filled.

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1707368)
First of all, I never responded to your email of the other day as you full well know. I wouldn't sell you a card if you were the last lowballing scumbag on earth.

Oh -- and I see you're a you're a "talent scout" with A to Z entertainment, Inc.? Valdosta, GA is a real hotbed of comedic talent, huh? I don't know how you don't kill yourself.

http://www.comediansandspeakers.com/about-2/

888-655-4575 Here's the number in case someone has comedic needs to be filled.

This coming from supposedly a prominent attorney? Really Jeff? Are you that hard up or just want to stir shit up? You actually took the time to look me up on google or facebook? Holy S***.....Should I call Witness Protection Services??

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:35 PM

Where does one scout comedic talent in Valdosta, GA? Do you wear giant red shoes and a flashing tie for your work? Again, I don't know how you don't kill yourself.

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1707369)
This coming from supposedly a prominent attorney? Really Jeff? Are you that hard up or what to stir shit up? You actually took the time to look me up on google or facebook? Holy S***.....

I googled you and like nothing came up but some bullshit website where you said you were related to Johnny Mize -- but can fill my comedic needs when necessary due to your 30 years as a general manager in a used car business.

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:38 PM

Hard time seeing Johnny Cochran doing this, but who knows?

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:40 PM

What about the website saying you represent drug dealers and mob figures?

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1707373)
Hard time seeing Johnny Cochran doing this, but who knows?

He's dead, so yes, would be tough to seeing him do anything you baseball card lowballing, used car selling, Valdosta, GA comedy talent scouting scumbag.

CMIZ5290 10-04-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1707376)
He's dead, so yes, would be tough to seeing him do anything you baseball card lowballing, used car selling, Valdosta, GA comedy talent scouting scumbag.

Ouch, that hurt. Careful with yourself....

calvindog 10-04-2017 06:44 PM

https://i2.wp.com/www.comediansandsp...gent.jpg?w=273

Hey Miami Vice, you really reek of success in this picture. Is there a painting of dogs playing cards behind you?