Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Card Flippers List on NET54 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242398)

pclpads 07-15-2017 01:14 PM

Anytime I've sold a card and gotten a price I was happy with, I don't really care if the the new owner flips it or wipes his ass with it. It's his to do with as he wishes. This is akin to selling a '52T Mantle 20 years ago for a fraction of what one would sell for today, and now crying in your beer cuz you didn't get the same price. PLEASE! :rolleyes:

Sean 07-15-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis13 (Post 1681174)
Is "remorse" code for "angry wife"?

It was once in my case, though it was a girlfriend and not a wife. Just as angry, though. :rolleyes:

Peter_Spaeth 07-15-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1681168)
I don't think publicly calling out members for buying then reselling a card is appropriate at all. Reneging on a deal or committing some sort of fraud is one thing. I would have no problem creating a list of buyers or sellers who actually did something wrong in a transaction. This doesn't qualify in my opinion.

I agree. I really don't even understand the concern, if you want to avoid flippers, charge a price where someone can't flip. But if you get your price, who cares if the buyer keeps the card or flips it?

PS If you gave someone a break on price in reliance on a lie, then that's another matter.

kailes2872 07-15-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingale (Post 1681173)
Guess I'm in the minority here but I agree with the OP.

This type of action goes against the spirit of the board, if everybody behaved like a 'flipper' then nobody would offer items in B/S/T at community friendly/generous prices and would go straight to eBay themselves to sell for maximum reward.

Not seeing the item currently up for sale in eBay so maybe the 'flipper' recognized he did something wrong and/or is feeling remorse?

+1
I have received some nice deals on this board while I have built my collection. Without fail, I am told by the seller (normally 70+ looking to pare down as the kids have no interest and he doesn't want to burden the wife) that they want to sell to a collector vs someone will just flip them. I have tried before to sell at a decent price looking to help in similar fashion. This has been usually met with additional haggling, someone claiming shipping issues and asking for a "partial refund" even after I offer to take it back 100% and I would pay shipping back, and then seeing the same cards on eBay at the price I could have charged anyway.

It is the reason why I now sit in hundreds of duplicates of stars that I would just as soon just let sit in the safe versus put them on here and deal with any of the above.

I am more than happy to help anyone with their collection and have given cards away on more than one occasion. And I would rather do that than have someone build their profit on my back. If that is the case, I would just as well post it on eBay or consign. To each their own and it probably goes back to my horror story at 8 years old and getting taken advantage of by a dealer but to say that I don't enjoy the horse trading component of the hobby is an understatement

BleedinBlue 07-15-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1681205)
"As for the card in question, if the net54 seller had asked $100 more for the card I might own it today because there might not have been enough profit for a flipper to go after. He didn't. Somebody got a GREAT deal. And I continue to search for that card. I'll get it. Just not this week or from this eBay seller."

The guy who bought here and is selling on eBay is obviously a member. If you were willing to pay an extra $100, then offer it DIRECTLY TO HIM ON N54. He saves on ebay fees and makes a$100 profit. Not sure he would be too anxious to help you out after you started this thread, but it's worth a shot.

Why? Nobody has mentioned the name of the flipper in this thread. And only people who know which member uses that eBay account have that information. I know who it was and that's good enough for me.

Huysmans 07-15-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdunkin1 (Post 1681197)
Fully in agreement with these statements. I believe it to be poor form to be selective about who you are selling to for the above reasons. If I buy card A, card A now belongs to me. Thus, wouldn't I have the privilege of doing whatever I would like to with it?
NJ Dunkin

You can do whatever you want with a card you purchase...correct. But why can't the OP DO THE SAME? If he currently owns card A, then doesn't he have a right to do WHAT HE CHOOSES WITH IT? And in this case, he's clearly stated he doesn't want to sell to quick flippers. So please let's stop with the hypocrisy.... If you "have the privilege of doing whatever" you would like with the cards you own, its funny that you have no problem judging that its "poor form to be selective about who you are selling to", when it comes to what someone ELSE wants to do with THEIR cards.

bobbyw8469 07-15-2017 02:43 PM

I don't mean no disrespect, but this whole thread is ridiculous. If you are going to blast people for making a profit on cards, you might as well go after Rob Lifson, Bill Mastro, Levi Bleam, yepbg, Lee Behrens, every Ebay seller on Ebay, Joe Orlando, etc......The list would be never ending.

The only problem I would agree with was if someone gave you a sob story "This is for my son.,.....I am handicapped.......He is my favorite player", etc, to the point that you are losing money on the card, and the person winds up "flipping" it as soon as it is "in hand". Other than that, what you are saying defeats the very purpose of being in the "business"....you might as well insist that all the card shows close down as well, and have Leon kill this forum.

Peter_Spaeth 07-15-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1681230)
You can do whatever you want with a card you purchase...correct. But why can't the OP DO THE SAME? If he currently owns card A, then doesn't he have a right to do WHAT HE CHOOSES WITH IT? And in this case, he's clearly stated he doesn't want to sell to quick flippers. So please let's stop with the hypocrisy.... If you "have the privilege of doing whatever" you would like with the cards you own, its funny that you have no problem judging that its "poor form to be selective about who you are selling to", when it comes to what someone ELSE wants to do with THEIR cards.

I would prefer to sell only to Republicans. Can someone please identify them?

jcc6252 07-15-2017 02:55 PM

First of all, there are not that many flippable cards here on Net54, I check the BST daily. The sellers who do offer such seem to list again, so I assume they like their sales price and probably don't care who their buyer is. On the selling end, once you have a few deals where you lower the price for a buyer that says "It's going to my private collection" and find the card on eBay the next day, then you realize it's 50/50 (probably less) they mean it. I once read that members should not post in the monthly pick-up thread if they plan on selling quickly. Is that good enough for you?

PS OP: I do like your topic though

pokerplyr80 07-15-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcc6252 (Post 1681234)
First of all, there are not that many flippable cards here on Net54, I check the BST daily. The sellers who do offer such seem to list again, so I assume they like their sales price and probably don't care who their buyer is. On the selling end, once you have a few deals where you lower the price for a buyer that says "It's going to my private collection" and find the card on eBay the next day, then you realize it's 50/50 (probably less) they mean it. I once read that members should not post in the monthly pick-up thread if they plan on selling quickly. Is that good enough for you?

PS OP: I do like your topic though

Thats true. You can often identify the flippable cards because you can see guys arguing over time stamps. With as much knowledge as this community has people usually know what a card they're selling is worth.

If anyone feels they can buy one of my cards and instantly make a profit on ebay feel free. I'm sure it's happened once or twice before. Like most members here there are a couple of cards I've sold that I'd love to buy back.