Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question about 1940 playball jackson (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265824)

Sogcollector 02-16-2019 08:21 AM

Question about 1940 playball jackson

Hi. I am a new collector and I was thinking of getting a playball 1940 joe jackson as my first card. Its about the only card of his I can afford in nice condition. I was considering a SGC86 example. My question is being in a SGC holder, does that make the card less desireable than if it was in a PSA holder? Thanks

Sean 02-16-2019 08:26 AM

Yes it does, but that is still a nice card.

Throttlesteer 02-16-2019 10:01 AM

Desireable? No. Valuable? Yes. But, the card doesn't change because the holder does. Get a nice SGC example and cross it over to PSA if you plan to sell it someday.

RedsFan1941 02-16-2019 10:03 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

exactly. the card is the card is the card

PowderedH2O 02-16-2019 10:11 AM

Quite honestly, for a 1940 Play Ball, I am just as likely to buy a card graded by SGC, if not more so.

pclpads 02-16-2019 12:35 PM

It may look nice to you in an SGC slab, but hold off and get one in a PSA slab. If you end up selling it, you'll get a better return with PSA. If you expect a problem free cross over to PSA, you may end up disappointed. It could be returned as altered, authentic or at a much lower grade. And . . . inquiring minds want to know . . . why Jackson? He hasn't played in 100 years and been dead for 70 . . . and not a hofer. For what you will have to lay out for your Jackson, you could get a nice cond. '50's -'60's hofer or star card / rc.

bbcard1 02-16-2019 12:43 PM

You know, a B18 is an attractive alternative in my opinion.

Sogcollector 02-16-2019 12:48 PM

The jackson is listed at 4900 or so on ebay. There is also a decent psa example for 1800 on there as well. For that i could get a decent cobb T206 red or something. I live a few miles from where Jackson’s museum is located so Ive always been interested in him. I collected 30 years ago for about six months and quit while I was in the military so essentially I am a rookie. I had a reference book by a guy named Alan Hager and a couple of his graded cards and thats about it. If I can locate those cards should the be opened and regraded? They were Muchael Jordan rookie cards.

swarmee 02-16-2019 01:29 PM

Yeah, hold off. It's not a playing days card, and it's not from a largely popular set, so I'd expect the card to just stay about the same for a while. If you want to buy it because you like it, the holder shouldn't stop you. But why wouldn't you like a VG-EX one instead? It will be a fraction of the price and still present well.
As to whether you should crack your Jordan RCs out in hopes of a better grade, you'd have to post clear pictures of them. Just theorizing about it does no good. But if they were graded long ago, the consensus is that almost all grading card companies are more strict than they were 10-20 years ago. So my default answer would be no. If they are 1985 Star cards, only Beckett will grade them, so don't crack those out. All grading companies will also accept crossover (other company holders) or review (their own holders) submissions to try to improve your grade without the risk of the card getting a lower grade or a trimmed/minimum size assessment after cracking it out.

MR RAREBACK 02-16-2019 02:06 PM

I like the card have some in my collection

Leon 02-18-2019 01:57 PM

Wg4 and wg5

2 Attachment(s)
1940 Playball is probably the lesser desirable of the Play Ball series. And it might be because, as stated, some of the cards aren't contemporaneous. Although it is a nice card you might consider some alternatives too. Hunting is a lot of the fun so good luck!!
You might consider one of the Jackson game cards. These are from a prior collection and aren't terribly expensive relative to other Jackson cards..