Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   ugly (IMO) Ruth (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192488)

w7imel 08-16-2014 05:40 PM

ugly (IMO) Ruth

1 Attachment(s)
This is for sale on ebay for 4300 bucks? any takers? I have my own opinions as to why I do not like it, if some of you stronger Ruth guys can point anything your not good on, I would like to see if my dislikes/concerns are same as yours. I am wanting a to venture out to something besides a bank check but want to do alot of research before venturing that far. Just wanting to "step my game up" so to speak...haha

mike

Runscott 08-16-2014 06:38 PM

Agreed - Bad.

Nyygameused 08-16-2014 10:58 PM

Gai has been a joke for almost ten years now.

GrayGhost 08-16-2014 11:02 PM

Garbage

bnorth 08-17-2014 05:57 AM

The biggest clue it is fake is the GAI holder. If you see anything in one of their holders it is usually fake or altered in some way.

w7imel 08-17-2014 07:07 AM

Just my opinion but I have looked at every Babe Ruth autograph image I could find on internet for last 15 to 20 years so I have become pretty used to what is thought to be a "good" signature but this one doesent strike me as being close. The "sincerely" to me is what looked strange. looked like 3 e's and the y looked abnormal as well. The R in ruth had strage pressure points to my eyes anyone else?

Runscott 08-17-2014 11:28 AM

Rats

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

w7imel 08-17-2014 12:54 PM

what do you mean by "rats"?

Runscott 08-17-2014 05:37 PM

Look at the difference in our first responses.

ATP 08-17-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1311355)
Look at the difference in our first responses.

??

Runscott 08-17-2014 06:46 PM

Or don't

Runscott 08-17-2014 07:45 PM

I couldn't type much via my cell-phone, but now I'm home. There are two camps on this, but my thoughts are that giving away too much in terms of how we spot Ruth forgeries, is probably not a great thing. It's good that some people have wonderful skills in this area and have learned a lot, but I'm not sure that detailing all we've learned is all that smart - this autograph sub-forum is loaded with people who sell forgeries, constantly probing us for clues on what they can get away with. Telegraphing such things to forgers, even if their forgery skills are poor, is not a great thing in my opinion.

You could argue that the other side of the coin is that buyers need to be educated. I will counter such an argument by saying that after reading this forum for years, I have seen very bright collectors miss the most obvious tells, and I don't see that changing. Forgers, on the other hand, seem much more interested in learning how to successfully pass fakes, than autograph collectors are willing to spend the time it takes to learn how to spot fakes. To sum up: when we give out a clue on how to spot a fake Ruth, the net benefit is to the forgers, not to Net54 forum members. Obviously, just my opinion.

Runscott 08-17-2014 07:47 PM

I will also add that I didn't think this way two years ago. At that time I thought we needed to share as much detail as possible - it's taken a lot of reading this forum and talking with autograph experts for me to change my mind.

Hopefully there are no hard feelings among those who still believe the way I did previously.

bnorth 08-17-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1311408)
I couldn't type much via my cell-phone, but now I'm home. There are two camps on this, but my thoughts are that giving away too much in terms of how we spot Ruth forgeries, is probably not a great thing. It's good that some people have wonderful skills in this area and have learned a lot, but I'm not sure that detailing all we've learned is all that smart - this autograph sub-forum is loaded with people who sell forgeries, constantly probing us for clues on what they can get away with. Telegraphing such things to forgers, even if their forgery skills are poor, is not a great thing in my opinion.

You could argue that the other side of the coin is that buyers need to be educated. I will counter such an argument by saying that after reading this forum for years, I have seen very bright collectors miss the most obvious tells, and I don't see that changing. Forgers, on the other hand, seem much more interested in learning how to successfully pass fakes, than autograph collectors are willing to spend the time it takes to learn how to spot fakes. To sum up: when we give out a clue on how to spot a fake Ruth, the net benefit is to the forgers, not to Net54 forum members. Obviously, just my opinion.

I understand your point of view on this. I recently pointed out how the 1958 Hank Aaron Rare(LOL) Blue cards are altered and quite easy to make. I posted in that thread that I would post more info on spotting missing color altered cards but am having mixed feelings on actually doing it. Would hate to give the scammers any more info.

ATP 08-17-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1311410)
I will also add that I didn't think this way two years ago. At that time I thought we needed to share as much detail as possible - it's taken a lot of reading this forum and talking with autograph experts for me to change my mind.

Hopefully there are no hard feelings among those who still believe the way I did previously.

I agree, just had no idea what you were implying.

thetruthisoutthere 08-18-2014 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1311408)

Well written, Scott.

Myself and others have been hammered for years for not going into detail as to why certain signatures are forgeries and we never gave in.

As Scott previously mentioned, the dirtbags (the forgers) read Net54 and other informative sites and they make note of the comments we post here.

Runscott 08-18-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP (Post 1311444)
I agree, just had no idea what you were implying.

My apologies to you and Michael for my being cryptic in my response. I only had access to tapatalk, so tried to convey my thoughts in as few words as possible.

w7imel 08-18-2014 02:52 PM

totally understanable on my side to why not to go into great detail of the signs of it being forgery. I just like talking autographs and that is only reason I ask questions. The forgers do piss me off though. Because someone will get taken for 3300 bucks and think the got real deal.

djson1 08-18-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1311480)
Well written, Scott.

Myself and others have been hammered for years for not going into detail as to why certain signatures are forgeries and we never gave in.

As Scott previously mentioned, the dirtbags (the forgers) read Net54 and other informative sites and they make note of the comments we post here.

I guess I can see the point here. Giving away the hints can definitely tip off the bad guys. It just sucks though as many of us who have recently got back into the hobby could really benefit from the tips on here. I guess the best way is to just get used to looking at bad versus good ones and get a feel for them.

7nohitter 08-19-2014 05:08 AM

Jason-
Look at the top of the page, right above this thread....do you see the magnifying glass folder...detecting alterations and reprints?

When I first joined the site that folder produced hours' worth of reading! Start there.

Andrew

djson1 08-19-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1311902)
Jason-
Look at the top of the page, right above this thread....do you see the magnifying glass folder...detecting alterations and reprints?

When I first joined the site that folder produced hours' worth of reading! Start there.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. I actually never noticed that link. That is interesting.
I'll read those.