Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Need Advice. What are my options? Any recourse? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257503)

Roofman4 07-14-2018 08:10 PM

Need Advice. What are my options? Any recourse?

Not to long ago, I attended an auction at a local AH. Every so often they have fairly large lot of cards. On the night I am speaking of in this thread, I hit a good score on a 5000 count box of all Nolan Ryan cards and collectibles. Turns out, the box was part of a collection of Ryan specific memorabilia collector from Texas. It contained many Topps, UD, Fleer, Pacific, Phone cards, promo cards and much more. I also found 6 autographed cards. One was an 89 Fleer and the other 5 were Pacific.

Being skeptical of the autographs, I submitted the 89 Fleer to PSA for authentication and Grading (PSA cert 24791888). I was pleased when I received the card back. Naturally, I then submitted the other 5 for the same service. All 5 came back as questionable. I believe they are all authentic.

What to do???? Any advice?

RM4

Mr. Zipper 07-14-2018 08:19 PM

Post them on the autograph section for opinions.

conor912 07-14-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roofman4 (Post 1794916)
Not to long ago, I attended an auction at a local AH. Every so often they have fairly large lot of cards. On the night I am speaking of in this thread, I hit a good score on a 5000 count box of all Nolan Ryan cards and collectibles. Turns out, the box was part of a collection of Ryan specific memorabilia collector from Texas. It contained many Topps, UD, Fleer, Pacific, Phone cards, promo cards and much more. I also found 6 autographed cards. One was an 89 Fleer and the other 5 were Pacific.

Being skeptical of the autographs, I submitted the 89 Fleer to PSA for authentication and Grading (PSA cert 24791888). I was pleased when I received the card back. Naturally, I then submitted the other 5 for the same service. All 5 came back as questionable. I believe they are all authentic.

What to do???? Any advice?

RM4

Without even seeing them, I would say the odds of you submitting the one good one out of six are highly unlikely. My guess is they saw 5 come in at one time and got spooked and that they'd pass muster if you submitted one at a time.

egbeachley 07-14-2018 10:50 PM

Recourse? To who? You did t even know they were part of the lot.

Mr. Zipper 07-15-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1794944)
Without even seeing them, I would say the odds of you submitting the one good one out of six are highly unlikely. My guess is they saw 5 come in at one time and got spooked and that they'd pass muster if you submitted one at a time.

PSA receives and reviews batches of the same autograph many times a day. I doubt they get “spooked” and fail them all summarily.

This is all speculation until photos of the items in question are posted.

itslarry 07-15-2018 11:24 AM

Just keeping sending them in. Eventually they will become authentic.

7nohitter 07-15-2018 12:45 PM

Post photos....Ryan's graph is an easy one to tell....

canjond 07-15-2018 11:28 PM

Inexact in any event. I met Shaq earlier this year at a private event and personally had him sign some of my childhood cards of him. I sent them into PSA on a sub and they came back questionable. Clearly they are not - just wanted them protected. Guess they will still in rigids!

Leon 07-16-2018 06:26 AM

!

Quote:

Originally Posted by canjond (Post 1795223)
Inexact in any event. I met Shaq earlier this year at a private event and personally had him sign some of my childhood cards of him. I sent them into PSA on a sub and they came back questionable. Clearly they are not - just wanted them protected. Guess they will still in rigids!

I have always said you are questionable, Jon :). And people still pay for an autograph opinion and spend millions on them. I don't know how autograph collectors sleep at night, honestly, unless there is ironclad provenance of the autograph ie.. official document etc... Obviously TPG opinions are just opinions AND MANY times wrong. Since there is no recourse they probably barely care. Next in line please!! LOL

ps...see post 6, how true it is.

Roofman4 07-16-2018 06:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here they are...

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-16-2018 07:05 AM

Dare I say the TPG got it right? I think maybe the collector was practicing based on his one good one. He never got close.

Mr. Zipper 07-16-2018 09:30 AM

PSA got it right.

Michael B 07-16-2018 01:27 PM

Would Ryan have ever signed with such a slant? I am no expert on his signature, got him in person a few times as a player, but it looks like the person tried way to hard.

canjond 07-16-2018 02:49 PM

PSA def got it right. Those Pacific Ryan's aren't close.

theshleps 07-16-2018 04:52 PM

the slant on some look extreme on Nolan

7nohitter 07-16-2018 05:44 PM

Those are all clearly bad (except the Fleer!).

Lordstan 07-16-2018 07:50 PM

While I am known to be critical of the TPAs for many reasons, this time they definitely got it right. All of them, except the Fleer, look terrible.
As far as recourse, I am not sure who you you would get it from. As you posted, you did not know they were there, so no recourse from the Auction as the autos were not the reason you bought the lot and PSA got the opinion right, so no recourse needed from them. Was there someone else?