Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Finding joy and passion in collecting. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250299)

TheNightmanCometh 01-19-2018 08:13 PM

Finding joy and passion in collecting.

I used to have a pretty extensive collection of cards and other memorabilia that could best be described as all over the place. Baseball, basketball, football mostly. It all ended up in some footlockers and forgotten. Then, I read this article about finding the passion in collecting again, and one thing that popped out was to focus on collecting what you love. I'm a huge Atlanta Braves fan, and I have no favorites in any other sports, so I completely culled my collection, sold it off on eBay, traded it off, or dumped it in the trash, and have focused solely on collecting Braves related cards and memorabilia ever since. I can say, without a doubt, it was the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't say I have the best Braves collection, the most expensive Braves collection, or the most extensive Braves collection, but what I do have I love every piece of it, and I take joy in looking and admiring what I've collected over the years.

If you find yourself without the spark you used to have, or if you've lost that joy, I recommend collecting what you love. You won't regret it.

h2oya311 01-19-2018 09:37 PM

Great advice Ryan!

ullmandds 01-19-2018 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are enlightened! Once I freed myself from the chains of type collecting...and started collecting cards I love...I became a much happier grump!

jasonc 01-20-2018 01:29 AM

Ryan, that was well said.

You also have a narrow focus which makes things a lot less overwhelming. Good to hear that you enjoy what you collect.

Mark70Z 01-20-2018 05:52 AM

Joy in collecting

Ryan,

Glad you found what you really enjoy collecting. My story is very similar to yours so I can definitely relate. Thanks for sharing and hopefully others that don’t get much joy from collecting can find something in the hobby that brings back the joy.

rainier2004 01-20-2018 06:49 AM

Gotta collect on where your psyche is...always.

I think collectors evolve, change focus and all that fun stuff. I can mark my current spot as stage 4 as focus has changed through the 30+ years Ive been doing this. But I have realized simply seeing my cards does a lot to fuel the passion, I love displays. Even though I had to remove my man cave as it became my daughters room, I still look at my cards daily.

I also love having a true focus...I just do. As long as the card makes me feel like a kid again, its all good. Protect your joy...always.

freakhappy 01-20-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1740239)

I think collectors evolve, change focus and all that fun stuff. I can mark my current spot as stage 4 as focus has changed through the 30+ years Ive been doing this. But I have realized simply seeing my cards does a lot to fuel the passion, I love displays. Even though I had to remove my man cave as it became my daughters room, I still look at my cards daily.

I also love having a true focus...I just do. As long as the card makes me feel like a kid again, its all good. Protect your joy...always.

Perfectly said...100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattyC 01-20-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1740239)

Could not agree more. Well said.

cardswin53 01-20-2018 02:56 PM

joy and passion article

Where can I find the aticle that inspired you ?

Chris Counts 01-20-2018 03:37 PM

I tried to be a set collector, but I couldn't see any logical reason in owning 10 different Wayne Terwilligers or Johnny Klippsteins. So I tried to be a type collector, but I couldn't bring myself to pay big money for rare cards from so many different unattractive black and white sets. So now simply I collect what I like, it works much better ...

Dewey 01-20-2018 03:54 PM

A couple years ago I realized that what I love to collect are stories, especially artifacts relating to the complex story of Jackie Robinson. Photo collecting somewhat affordably lends itself to this love. I thank net54 for introducing me to photo collecting.

I love the research and reading that leads to historical lessons of athletic, social, cultural, even religious significance. Or sometimes just to wacky or funny moments. I have a narrow focus with the occasional mission creep for interesting stories.

BruceinGa 01-20-2018 04:01 PM

Ryan, having lived in the suburbs of Atlanta for the past 50 years I have several Braves related odds and ends. Pm me your address and I willl send them to you.
Bruce

Orioles1954 01-20-2018 05:57 PM

Simply awesome!

TheNightmanCometh 01-20-2018 08:48 PM

I'm really happy to see that so many agree, and I can feel the passion from each of you who shared your own personal stories. To me, this is what collecting is all about

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardswin53 (Post 1740367)
Where can I find the aticle that inspired you ?

I read it over two years ago, lol. I tried to look it up, but for the life of me, I can't find it. If I do, I'll PM it to you. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceinGa (Post 1740386)
Ryan, having lived in the suburbs of Atlanta for the past 50 years I have several Braves related odds and ends. Pm me your address and I willl send them to you.
Bruce

WOW!!!! PM sent! Thank you!

Topnotchsy 01-21-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey (Post 1740383)
A couple years ago I realized that what I love to collect are stories, especially artifacts relating to the complex story of Jackie Robinson. Photo collecting somewhat affordably lends itself to this love. I thank net54 for introducing me to photo collecting.

I love the research and reading that leads to historical lessons of athletic, social, cultural, even religious significance. Or sometimes just to wacky or funny moments. I have a narrow focus with the occasional mission creep for interesting stories.

Wow, that sounds like my focus but more eloquently put than I would of. Down to the interest in Jackie Robinson and an interest in interesting stories...

jason.1969 01-21-2018 12:45 PM

Similar journey. In my case, I only buy what will end up on my wall or on my shelf.

For baseball, that means adding only the Ruth and Gehrig I need and possibly swapping a couple tough Aarons like his Lake to Lake into my Aaron frame.

And until I have that kind of cash or a bigger house with more wall, it means I'm mainly trying to scour the Earth for Isaac Newton cards my son and I don't have yet.

The thing is I love it just as much as when I used to buy whatever caught my eye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Leon 01-27-2018 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh (Post 1740194)
I used to have a pretty extensive collection of cards and other memorabilia that could best be described as all over the place. Baseball, basketball, football mostly. It all ended up in some footlockers and forgotten. Then, I read this article about finding the passion in collecting again, and one thing that popped out was to focus on collecting what you love. I'm a huge Atlanta Braves fan, and I have no favorites in any other sports, so I completely culled my collection, sold it off on eBay, traded it off, or dumped it in the trash, and have focused solely on collecting Braves related cards and memorabilia ever since. I can say, without a doubt, it was the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't say I have the best Braves collection, the most expensive Braves collection, or the most extensive Braves collection, but what I do have I love every piece of it, and I take joy in looking and admiring what I've collected over the years.

If you find yourself without the spark you used to have, or if you've lost that joy, I recommend collecting what you love. You won't regret it.

Collecting what we love....I always go back to type cards :) I won't be a completist this time but am actually happier and will never forget getting a rare $5k type card for no other reason than I had to have it. I didn't even really care for it. Here is one I didn't have in the first collection so that makes it a little better too. 1929 Tower Theatre.

jason.1969 01-27-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1742470)
Collecting what we love....I always go back to type cards :) I won't be a completist this time but am actually happier and will never forget getting a rare $5k type card for no other reason than I had to have it. I didn't even really care for it. Here is one I didn't have in the first collection so that makes it a little better too. 1929 Tower Theatre.

Yes, the worst is buying something you hate just to have everything. I feel that way about my Hank Aaron SAM bobblehead. (Yes, seriously...that's supposed to look like Hank Aaron!)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...39b59bae67.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

TheNightmanCometh 01-28-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1742470)

It's funny, I'm really into collecting and framing right now. I've been really working on ideas for framing things that you wouldn't normally frame. Something that you wouldn't expect. Like, right now, I'm considering buying PSA 10s of Chipper Jones rookie cards, from all the different makers, and then framing them. I think that would look really cool.

Eventually, I want to dedicate an entire wall towards framed memorabilia; i.e. magazines, cards, pictures, etc. etc. Then I'll have my brother build me a modular bookshelves, of different sizes, and display my collection that way.

I really love hearing what gets people's gears moving. You like to collect type cards. I'm sure it's like an obsession a bit. That feeling you get when you see something that fits your collection, or that feeling you get when you realize you haven't looked something up for a while and you go on the hunt. It's just a feeling that can't be replicated. It's very singular to collectors looking for pieces to add to their collections.