Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Never understood "paying strong" on BST (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244843)

glynparson 09-12-2017 11:43 AM

Well

Now you know how dealers feel when someone tells them VCP is ($blank) well if that was all i wanted id give it to PWCC or other auction and move on to the next buy.

bnorth 09-12-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garymc (Post 1700327)
I believe that it means that you have strong desire to own the card and you will buy at fair price and will not try to negotiate a lower one . I have seen the term used for beaters when trying to complete sets. I may be wrong ???

^^This is how I see it also^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1700337)
The key word is 'fair price'.....fair to the buyer? or fair to the seller? I have had GREAT transactions on here. However, when someone reaches out to me looking a particular card, their expected "buy prices" are seldom fair - they are usually wanting them for less than Ebay.

15% less than eBay if fair to both parties. Seller gets within a few cents of the real amount they receive after fees from eBay sale. Buyer gets a discount and probably buys from that seller again.

rats60 09-12-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1700350)
^^This is how I see it also^^

15% less than eBay if fair to both parties. Seller gets within a few cents of the real amount they receive after fees from eBay sale. Buyer gets a discount and probably buys from that seller again.

How is selling for less than you can on EBay fair to the dealer? That certainly wouldn't be paying strong. 5% below EBay would be fair to both.

bnorth 09-12-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1700351)
How is selling for less than you can on EBay fair to the dealer? That certainly wouldn't be paying strong. 5% below EBay would be fair to both.

5% is fair also. The buyer saves 5% and the seller gets 10% more cash than if sold on eBay for the same price.

As a buyer I might return to the seller giving 5% and making more $ in their pocket. I will definitely go back to the seller giving 15% off and getting the same exact money as they would get from eBay after fees.

the-illini 09-12-2017 12:24 PM

I use terms like "paying strong" or "paying above market" to attract people who may have a card I want, but would only sell for what many would consider an exorbitant price.

For example, an M101-6 of Gavvy Cravath books for 175 dollars in the Standard Catalog - if someone had one I would gladly pay 6-7x that for it, maybe more. There might be 2-3 other collectors out there who would pay that much for the card - this is not a Goudey Ruth.

Someone that had this card probably got it quite a while ago in all likelihood (I haven't seen one for sale publicly) so maybe my offer to "pay strong" would convince them to sell a card that has a narrow market for a nice chunk of change - can't hurt to try on my side...

hangman62 09-12-2017 02:23 PM

strong

After the words " paying strong "..later on comes " what the least you'll take for it "

KMayUSA6060 09-12-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-illini (Post 1700356)
I use terms like "paying strong" or "paying above market" to attract people who may have a card I want, but would only sell for what many would consider an exorbitant price.

This is where I've seen it most useful. I've never used it myself, but I've seen the best response with this.

buymycards 09-12-2017 03:17 PM

15%

15% below eBay price is a fair price, considering that eBay takes 12% and PayPal takes 3%, so it would be a wash for the seller and the buyer would save 15%.

rats60 09-12-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1700390)
15% below eBay price is a fair price, considering that eBay takes 12% and PayPal takes 3%, so it would be a wash for the seller and the buyer would save 15%.

When did EBay start taking 12%? It was 10% for the card that I sold last month. Also, EBay discounts off that. The seller is losing 2% + and the buyer is the only one with savings. Fair is both buyer and seller meeting in the middle, not one taking all the savings plus more.

Mdmtx 09-12-2017 03:51 PM

If all cards have an exact value, then auctions are obsolete.