Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   is a graded card more valuable ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81052)

Archive 05-08-2006 03:41 PM

is a graded card more valuable ?

Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>Have you ever tried to convert cash in a foreign country? My experience has been that you always get a better rate of exchange with travelers checks than with cash because of the fear of counterfeit bills-so a dollar isn't always worth a dollar when there is concern about its authenticity.

Archive 05-08-2006 03:45 PM

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I found it to be just the opposite. I could get a much better rate of change on street for cash than I could at a bank. There are also substantial risks involved in doing this though. I also used to trade my Levis for stuff. You got an even better return on your dollar that way. Then again, this was in the 80s and things may have changed a lot since them.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Archive 05-08-2006 10:35 PM

Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>The question was rather simple and I think it has been answered satisfactorily.

Archive 05-09-2006 12:58 AM

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>Graded cards aren't more valuable; they cost more.

Archive 05-09-2006 04:40 PM

Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>.

Archive 05-09-2006 04:48 PM

Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>i agree with drc 100%

Archive 05-09-2006 06:36 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>OK... some folks didn't really say Yea or Nay...<br /><br />And some did, clearly enough to be counted.<br /><br />Voting YES<br /><br />Al C<br /><br />and voting NO<br /><br />Warshawlaw<br />me<br />DRC<br />Julie<br />Andy B<br /><br />5 to 1, a graded card is NOT more valuable. Julie says it costs more, amen. Both to get slabbed, and when you buy it. Led Zeppelin said "The Song Remains The Same", and the card remains the same, too. It's that other fellow's opinion that some folks value, and some folks claim to actually like those holders.<br /><br />I am about to hacksaw out my T206 McGraw with a sweater, a card that has gotten me close to finishing T206. Back later.<br /><br />Frank.

Archive 05-10-2006 01:00 AM

Posted By: <b>jp</b><p>wow! what a great response , to all that expressed thoughts on this subject you all have made valid points and has made more aware i feel like everyone that they arent more valuable but just cost more when graded, thanks all.

Archive 05-10-2006 02:28 AM

Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Bill and Jay,<br />I have to agree with Jay. In many countries greenbacks are worth more than travellers checks on the black market, sometimes quite a bit more. The reason is that the currencies in many nations are not convertible on the open market so if wealthy people from these third world countries want to travel, they need convertable currencies. Thus they will pay a premium for them. The dollars were also used to purchase illicit items abroad as well. This was certainly the case in most Asian countries like India, Nepal, and China in the '80s and up through the mid to late'90's. It does seem like that black market is drying up these days.<br />JimB

Archive 05-10-2006 06:26 AM

Posted By: <b>Judge Dred (Fred)</b><p>I'm not sure how this got to dollars and black markets but... it's easy to get double and more the official exchange rate for dollars on the street in countries where the governments aren't stable and the currency is vulnerable. It's obviously illegal to do this but... and besides, there's usually not a lot to buy (with the local currency) in those countries.<br /><br />Now back to the main topic - Is a graded card more valuable? For the umpteenth thousand time (as stated by many) - BUY THE CARD, NOT THE SLAB.