Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Auction House Shipping Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=276336)

Topnotchsy 11-26-2019 08:21 PM

Auction House Shipping Question

Hey all,

I recently won a couple of Cobb signed checks at Julien's auction. A few days after winning the auction I got an email from a packing company with an estimate $150 for packing and shipping the item without insurance. With the option of paying additional for insurance.

I emailed the auction house to see if there were other options. They gave me the info of a couple of other packing companies in the area to get quotes. I tried reaching out to one but never heard back.

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? I seem to recall Sotheby's had extremely high shipping rates. I don't understand why they can't just drop the checks into a priority mail envelope. It's not so complicated.

In the past I bought from Julien's and this wasn't how shipping was handled.

Bicem 11-26-2019 10:56 PM

Because they are making money off the shipping.

I'd call and keep complaining until they make it reasonable. Still not as bad as Christie's!

rlevy 11-27-2019 11:39 AM

Jeff,

I could pick it up in Culver City and ship to you priority mail, but I believe then you would have to pay 10.25% sales tax.

Rick

Jim65 11-27-2019 11:59 AM

$150 to ship a few pieces of paper and insurance is not included? I would tell them to stick it up their ass.

buymycards 11-27-2019 12:43 PM

Bad reviews

Lots of bad reviews on Yelp.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/juliens-auctions-culver-city-2

Take a look at this one:

https://www.teammichaeljackson.com/archives/7476

Griffins 11-27-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlevy (Post 1934405)
Jeff,

I could pick it up in Culver City and ship to you priority mail, but I believe then you would have to pay 10.25% sales tax.

Rick

2 blocks from my office and never knew they were there.

bobbyw8469 11-27-2019 01:47 PM

Those Yelp reviews are horrid. Julien's is off the list for me.

Topnotchsy 11-27-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlevy (Post 1934405)
Jeff,

Rick

I really appreciate that, but the taxes would prob mitigate the cost savings on shipping. Super nice though.

Snapolit1 11-27-2019 06:53 PM

Never heard of them and apparently that's a good thing.

danno561 11-29-2019 06:52 PM

It is surprising for me to hear. There in house shipping has been excellent for me and in fact, shipped the superbowl xl mvp opus to me which weighs over 80 lbs for less than your lots. They occasionally outsource shipping and I have resisted some of these standard shippers because of outrageous prices. I have used coby at box brothers as a more affordable option in the past. You can request a quote at Coby@boxbrosla.com

Good luck

vintagesportflips 11-30-2019 11:51 AM

Juliens

I’m having the same issue.
I won a sweater and a leather football helmet and received the shipping quote from their shipper Art Pack of $190! I expect high shipping prices with auctions but this one is ridiculous.
I contacted juliens and they gave me a number for box brothers, but they stated they don’t pick up items, and the art pack company didn’t return my call. Won’t be bidding through them again, and wish I hadn’t already paid for the items.

danno561 11-30-2019 02:40 PM

Absolutely avoid ArtPack if you can.

seff 11-30-2019 03:04 PM

I always check the web site for their standard shipping prices. If not listed, I email them. They know what they are. Get it in writing.

If I do not like them, I do not bid.

Mark17 11-30-2019 03:14 PM

Huggins and Scott

On the other end of the scale, I recently won a lot at Huggins and Scott, and actually was billed a NEGATIVE amount for Fedex shipping and insurance! What a pleasant surprise that was.

ITEMS PURCHASED AT AUCTION

Subtotal Lots Won at Auction 450.00
Add: Buyers Premium 103.50
Total Amount Due For Items Won 553.50

OTHER DEBITS AND CREDITS

No Printed Catalog Going Green Credit on 11/15/19 -10.00
Shipping, Handling & Insurance Fee on 11/15/19 22.00
Total Other Debits and Credits 12.00

INVOICE TOTAL AMOUNT DUE $565.50
CASH/CHECK/MONEY ORDER DISCOUNT -$13.50
TOTAL DUE WITH CASH/CHECK/MO PAYMENT $552.00

Leon 12-03-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1934316)
Because they are making money off the shipping.

I'd call and keep complaining until they make it reasonable. Still not as bad as Christie's!

+1

Shoeless Moe 12-03-2019 05:33 PM

Wait...why can't you pay for your items, then have someone go in and pick them up, then ship out to you?

I actually do that myself with an auction house that is over the border from me. I get the invoice, pay for it w/o any shipping charge, tell them to hold the item for pickup. Then go and pick up. I don't pay any shipping.

Pay for it w/o the shipping and tell them to hold for pickup. Then have a board member go in and get your items.

I'm confused.....which isn't unusual.

Topnotchsy 12-03-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1935861)
Wait...why can't you pay for your items, then have someone go in and pick them up, then ship out to you?

I actually do that myself with an auction house that is over the border from me. I get the invoice, pay for it w/o any shipping charge, tell them to hold the item for pickup. Then go and pick up. I don't pay any shipping.

Pay for it w/o the shipping and tell them to hold for pickup. Then have a board member go in and get your items.

I'm confused.....which isn't unusual.

Paul, if I do that, do I have to pay taxes for the local pickup? That was what tripped me up.

Shoeless Moe 12-03-2019 06:46 PM

I wouldn't think so, but email or call them and say can I pay for this with a check or credit card or however you are going to pay in advance and then can you hold it for me, I will have a friend come in and pick up. If they say all good then I think you are all good.

I've always just paid the invoice price just like it was being shipped but they deduct the shipping charge. I'm never then charged any in-state tax on the invoice or at time of pickup.

To me it seems the same as if they then use one of their shippers. What's the difference they have a shipping co. come in pick it up (and your not paying any taxes) why couldn't a friend or relative do the same?

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-03-2019 07:20 PM

If it is picked up at my warehouse I don't care where you are from it is being purchased in PA and PA sales tax must be paid.

Topnotchsy 12-04-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1935894)
I wouldn't think so, but email or call them and say can I pay for this with a check or credit card or however you are going to pay in advance and then can you hold it for me, I will have a friend come in and pick up. If they say all good then I think you are all good.

I've always just paid the invoice price just like it was being shipped but they deduct the shipping charge. I'm never then charged any in-state tax on the invoice or at time of pickup.

To me it seems the same as if they then use one of their shippers. What's the difference they have a shipping co. come in pick it up (and your not paying any taxes) why couldn't a friend or relative do the same?

Working to see if this would work. Thanks!