Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Computer help. Updating a list? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225333)

irv 07-11-2016 12:37 PM

Computer help. Updating a list?

1 Attachment(s)
I typed this list out years ago and I have likely purchased 25+ 52 Topps card since then. Is there a way to update this list without having to retype everything out again?

I have heard of "Word" and a couple other avenues but I have no clue how to go about it? Can I copy/save and paste it then update it somehow?
I have Windows 10 so I am sure I have the option/app, but have no clue how to go about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

the 'stache 07-11-2016 10:41 PM

Dale, to be honest, I think you're going to have to retype the list manually. While there are programs that can parse text from an image file, or PDF, I don't think that the type in your image, as it appears, is clean enough to get a good read off of. You can try Google Drive, and see if it will do it for you.

Your image utilizes a common font, Times New Roman. So, you have that going for you. And, I think it meets the size requirement (10 px). But even if I were to take the image, and up the contrast, there just looks to be too much noise that could mess with it. The one thing that I think will cause the attempt to fail is the kerning. Kerning is the space between characters; there isn't any, so the different characters bleed into each other.

Good luck.

irv 07-12-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1560919)
Dale, to be honest, I think you're going to have to retype the list manually. While there are programs that can parse text from an image file, or PDF, I don't think that the type in your image, as it appears, is clean enough to get a good read off of. You can try Google Drive, and see if it will do it for you.

Your image utilizes a common font, Times New Roman. So, you have that going for you. And, I think it meets the size requirement (10 px). But even if I were to take the image, and up the contrast, there just looks to be too much noise that could mess with it. The one thing that I think will cause the attempt to fail is the kerning. Kerning is the space between characters; there isn't any, so the different characters bleed into each other.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips/help, Bill.

I have asked my wife, who is a lot better at this stuff than me, and she thinks she will be able to do it?

I am not fussy so even if it doesn't match or look proper, I will be OK with it as long as I am able to update the list with new cards. If not, then back to the drawing board, or typing it all out again I go.

If I have to resort to that then I'll be sure to save it properly so I can update it in the future as well.

Thanks again

Dale

egri 07-12-2016 10:16 AM

If that is a wantlist, you could find a complete list of the 1952 Topps set online, copy and paste that in to word, and then just delete the cards you already have. It's what I am doing for my project, and it feels good to delete a line every time I make a pickup. To keep track of what I have, I have an excel sheet that I use to keep track of costs, and I printed out a complete list and highlighted the ones I have.

bnorth 07-12-2016 03:16 PM

Member Mouschi is your man. If you seen his Canseco post you will understand why.

the 'stache 07-12-2016 09:38 PM

Something else popped into my head, Dale. If you don't want to spend the money on Microsoft Office, you can download Apache Open Office. Since it's open source, it's completely free. And, it's compatible with Microsoft Office. If somebody sends you an .xls file (Excel's native format), you can open it in Open Office. It's been a few years since I've used the software, so I wouldn't be cognizant of any changes of late. But, it's very nice, and should do everything you need.

irv 07-13-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 1561027)
If that is a wantlist, you could find a complete list of the 1952 Topps set online, copy and paste that in to word, and then just delete the cards you already have. It's what I am doing for my project, and it feels good to delete a line every time I make a pickup. To keep track of what I have, I have an excel sheet that I use to keep track of costs, and I printed out a complete list and highlighted the ones I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1561219)
Something else popped into my head, Dale. If you don't want to spend the money on Microsoft Office, you can download Apache Open Office. Since it's open source, it's completely free. And, it's compatible with Microsoft Office. If somebody sends you an .xls file (Excel's native format), you can open it in Open Office. It's been a few years since I've used the software, so I wouldn't be cognizant of any changes of late. But, it's very nice, and should do everything you need.

Thanks for the help, guys. I also received a PM from another member about copying and pasting a list from one of the many available so I am going to give that a go.

My wife tried yesterday with what she knows, but like Bill mentioned originally, that didn't work.

I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it! :)