Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PayPal chargeback (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208097)

yanks12025 06-30-2015 04:43 AM

PayPal chargeback

I sold two bats on eBay back in early April. Today o wake up with messages from PayPal saying that they have opened a unauthorized chargeback case against me. I explained how the guy bought the items from me, included the tracking number. I also included screenshots of the package showing delivery and included eBay message of his responding to my message asking if he got the package. And he wrote back a long message and said his son loves the bats and can leave them.

Do I have a chance to win this case? Or will PayPal screw me over.

ibuysportsephemera 06-30-2015 05:26 AM

I had this happen recently also. In my case, the chargeback was because of an issue with the buyers checking account and credit company....it was not initiated by the buyer himself. Paypal checked and told me that I had done everything correctly and not to worry. It did take a while for it to get resolved but I did get the money put back into my account. Hope it works out for you.

Jeff

Taxman 06-30-2015 08:04 AM

Paypal

You should win as long as you have proof the item was delivered.(delivery confirmation or tracking number) I suggest calling pp and explaining the situation.

yanks12025 06-30-2015 10:36 AM

Called paypal and it's pretty much already fixed, i was covered under seller protection. So they dropped the negative balance on my account and pretty much will have to dispute it with his credit card company.

With that said STAY AWAY from minimag88

Runscott 06-30-2015 12:14 PM

Same thing happened with me. Turned out the buyer simply didn't recognize the Paypal transaction, assumed it was fraud and opened a case against me. He was emphatically apologetic when he remembered our deal.

Mistakes happen.

pokerplyr80 06-30-2015 12:37 PM

I was on the buyer end of that one time. I bought something for about $100 on ebay but the seller didn't take paypal, so I used a credit card. I totally forgot about the charge, and since everything I buy on ebay goes through paypal I assumed it was fraud. Shortly after I filed the dispute the seller refreshed my memory. Naturally I apologized and canceled my dispute.

yanks12025 10-03-2015 09:54 AM

Another chargeback question

I have a totally different question now.

I bought a item back in August off eBay. I just now found out that the item was altered, so it's not worth what I paid for it. It's past ebays money back guarantee because its been almost 2 months.

I opened up a return with the seller thru eBay but the seller don't have to refund my money if they don't want to. And looking thru paypal, I realized now the person I bought said item from is an auction house that is known to have faked items in the past(different user name on eBay then what their auction house is). So with that said about the auction house, I doubt they will refund my money.

So do you guys think I should just open up a dispute with my credit card company and tell them that the item was fake? Are credit card companies good at giving money back during disputes.

glchen 10-03-2015 10:33 AM

I think that I've read that American Express is very good at disputing charges, so if you paid w/ AMEX then you have a higher chance of getting your money back. (You just need to send the item back to the seller w/ tracking.) Not sure about the other CC companies. Another thing about chargebacks. A while back, I was involved in a SNAD situation for an item that I purchased where it was still covered by ebay buyer protection, but I wasn't sure if I would win my case. I mentioned to the ebay representative that perhaps I should just tell my credit card company to do a chargeback. The ebay rep advised me not to do that, saying that if I initiated the chargeback, the ebay case would be immediately closed in the other party's favor and that ebay may also ban me from their site. Not sure if they were being truthful about that, but wanted to let you know that was also a possibility. (I ended up winning the ebay case.)

TAVG 10-03-2015 12:29 PM

same happened to me. I sold a brand new pilot light (for A Furnace) still in package to a guy on ebay, they guy had it a month said he hooked it up and it worked for a couple days...

I told him if he wasn't a professional then if he wired it wrong then it could greatly affect how it runs.

he tried to get his money back but PayPal sided with me since he most likely wired the item up wrong.

mechanicalman 10-03-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1458278)
I think that I've read that American Express is very good at disputing charges, so if you paid w/ AMEX then you have a higher chance of getting your money back. (You just need to send the item back to the seller w/ tracking.) Not sure about the other CC companies. Another thing about chargebacks. A while back, I was involved in a SNAD situation for an item that I purchased where it was still covered by ebay buyer protection, but I wasn't sure if I would win my case. I mentioned to the ebay representative that perhaps I should just tell my credit card company to do a chargeback. The ebay rep advised me not to do that, saying that if I initiated the chargeback, the ebay case would be immediately closed in the other party's favor and that ebay may also ban me from their site. Not sure if they were being truthful about that, but wanted to let you know that was also a possibility. (I ended up winning the ebay case.)

I don't know if eBay will ban you, but I know from experience that doing a chargeback through your CC will absolutely end up with eBay and PayPal closing their case and siding against the buyer. Learned the hard way. Better to start with an eBay case and use the chargeback as the last resort.

yanks12025 10-03-2015 04:33 PM

It's past eBay money back 30 day limit. So the only case I can open is a refund one. But the seller doesn't have to give a refund if they don't want to. Because it's past the 30 days, eBay won't force them to give back the money(I always thought eBay had like a 90 day return time).

So I'll give the seller a couple days to see if they respond(highly doubt the seller will). Then I'll go thru my credit card(chase).

Leon 10-09-2015 07:57 PM

I have found credit card companies to be very friendly to their customers needs in the area of chargebacks and fraud. On the other end, as a merchant services client, it can suck sometimes.