Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2017 Ohio Sports Collector Show April 21-23, 2017 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238384)

KMayUSA6060 04-15-2017 05:37 PM

2017 Ohio Sports Collector Show April 21-23, 2017

Who is going? I've lived 20-30 minutes from this show my whole life, and have never been (didn't know about it until late last year). I hear it's a terrific show for vintage.

I will be going on at least Saturday, and wouldn't mind meeting up with any other Net54 members going!

Roll Tribe!

mechanicalman 04-15-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1651159)
Who is going? I've lived 20-30 minutes from this show my whole life, and have never been (didn't know about it until late last year). I hear it's a terrific show for vintage.

I will be going on at least Saturday, and wouldn't mind meeting up with any other Net54 members going!

Roll Tribe!

I went last year and found it underwhelming. However, I drove 5 hours to get there. If I lived 20-30 min., it would be a no-brainer.

Seiklis 04-15-2017 07:50 PM

Always go the Friday, should be there a good chunk of the day since I'm getting a couple things graded

sterlingfox 04-15-2017 07:58 PM

I'm going on Friday. Last year I went on Saturday.

KMayUSA6060 04-15-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seiklis (Post 1651188)
Always go the Friday, should be there a good chunk of the day since I'm getting a couple things graded

Thought about getting a few things graded by SGC, but their on-site grading prices are too much for the cards I have - doesn't make sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingfox (Post 1651189)
I'm going on Friday. Last year I went on Saturday.

Is this schedule related, or experience related?

sterlingfox 04-15-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1651193)
Is this schedule related, or experience related?

It's mostly because I'm busy the rest of the weekend and have vacation days to burn, but I do feel like I'd get first crack at stuff on Friday.

Should be fun even if I don't find much to buy.

kailes2872 04-16-2017 06:58 AM

I like the show - but I have found that most of the same dealers/cards show up a month later in Pitttsburgh. So, for me, it isn't with the two hour drive, tolls, gas, admission, etc. when I will go to the Robert Morris show next month.

Of course, I say that and I will be itching to go all next weekend...

JLange 04-17-2017 08:04 PM

Went last year

3 Attachment(s)
I grew up around here and went when I was younger. Somehow I found myself back in Cleveland on business for last year's show and couldn't pass it up. I thought there was good material all around, and of course plenty to satisfy a Cleveland Baseball collector like myself. Here's a few pickups from the show last year. I can't go this year, but will definitely attend again in the future!

Leon 04-19-2017 12:40 PM

Ohio Sports Collectors Convention - Strongsville 2017 - April 21-23

I want to give this thread a push, and offer a friendly reminder of the show this weekend. By most accounts I have read and heard, Fusco Auctions and team promoting the Ohio Sports Collectors Convention, has done well. We need more well run shows!! And thanks again to them for being a valued Net54baseball advertiser. It is appreciated very much. Good luck to everyone who attends. Hopefully we can get some reports back....
http://www.ohiosportscollector.com/

PM770 04-19-2017 12:50 PM

I've gone most years since the mid-90s and I've always thought it was a good show. You will find very little (if any) modern. Great show 50s-70s and even earlier.

I will be there at some point on Saturday with my brother and 10-year old son.

jimivintage 04-19-2017 04:50 PM

I'll be there right inside the door to the right, assuming Paul gave me the same tables as last year. Always loved this show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajenks3378 04-19-2017 05:35 PM

Very solid show...
I go every year. Lots of cards and random items.
And not expensive just to look if you don't find anything.
Andy

Leon 04-20-2017 11:33 AM

As I always tell folks coming by my tables at local shows,
"looking is free and appreciated!!"
I hope to make one of these Ohio Sports Collector Shows
in the not too distant future. I think it will be a lot of fun especially since there is quite a bit of vintage (pre-wwii) stuff. :) At my local shows, for vintage, it might be me and 1-2 other guys. Great for competition, not so good for collecting and buying though. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajenks3378 (Post 1652315)
Very solid show...
I go every year. Lots of cards and random items.
And not expensive just to look if you don't find anything.
Andy

KMayUSA6060 04-22-2017 05:04 PM

Very disappointed in the selection and pricing at the show. Not sure I'll be going back again in the future.

jp1216 04-22-2017 05:55 PM

Sorry you had a bad experience Kyle. I've attended this one at least 10 times (although not this year) and have always been impressed. Better deals than at any National I've attended.

KMayUSA6060 04-22-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp1216 (Post 1653336)
Sorry you had a bad experience Kyle. I've attended this one at least 10 times (although not this year) and have always been impressed. Better deals than at any National I've attended.

I don't know if all of the good stuff was moved on Friday, but I just thought the selection was dry, and anything I'd be interested in was jacked up in price.

kailes2872 04-22-2017 06:23 PM

I find myself having a love/hate relationship with shows.

I want to talk to dealers and fellow collectors. I want to see and hold the cards before I buy them. I am sometimes willing to pay a small premium to drive home with it that day.

I guess what I don't quite understand is the overhead associated with shows. If we assume 13% overhead for Ebay (I know that some have better deals for high volume), is the overhead for the shows twice as much? 3 times as much?

When I buy a card as an auction on Ebay, am I assuming that I am buying wholesale? or is the $.99 auction price retail?

With the exception of buying a complete set at a show (and overpaying versus an AH or Ebay), I find myself only upgrading commons. For this, it makes more sense to buy 20-30 cards and save shipping from multiple dealers.

For everything else, I just can't pay a 30% premium and if it ever came time to liquidate, get 70% at best of VCP...

RedsFan1941 04-23-2017 01:32 PM

Excellent show and well worth my drive. Large assortment of vintage (I saw hardly any shiney stuff or manufactured collectibles) and though some dealers prices were shall we say unrealistic, the majority were there to sell stuff.

sterlingfox 04-23-2017 09:58 PM

I went on Friday, but still had to look good and hard to find stuff that wasn't super inflated in price. Most dealers there wanted 200%+ of VCP. When I offered a few of them avg VCP, they said they'd rather just keep it (which I'm fairly sure they did, unless they found a sucker).

Having said that, I still found some decent deals. Nothing insanely good, but I didn't pay above VCP for any of it. If I do go back, I'd only go on the first day again.

Also, I was not happy that it took SGC a full 5 hours to re-slab 2 cards with wrong labels and review 1 card when they initially quoted me 2 to 3 hours...the review/bump failed as a final insult :mad:

Tony Gordon 04-24-2017 09:12 PM

First time at the show. I thought it was awesome. Large crowds all weekend long. Tremendous inventory in the room. I bought a lot of stuff and found sellers willing to deal. I will be back next year.