Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rea (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260674)

Snapolit1 10-05-2018 06:36 PM

Rea

Open online for bidding.

ccre 10-05-2018 07:58 PM

Wow. Wow. Wow. They certainly haven't disappointed.

Rich Falvo 10-05-2018 08:03 PM

Some serious eye candy. Might have to pick just one item to try to afford.

toppcat 10-05-2018 10:41 PM

Floor bids are in!

ALR-bishop 10-06-2018 07:38 AM

I was hoping no one would out this auction :)

Jason 10-07-2018 05:20 AM

Great auction selection by Brian and the guys! Alas, the Red Border shortage continues with just a one lot available. New cards coming up for sale are few and far between. With that said, I see about 25 items I would not mind adding and hopefully I can score something nice for my small but growing 19th century collection. Good luck to everyone bidding!

kailes2872 10-07-2018 05:53 PM

It always feels like a drunken bender in Vegas when I put my initial bids in. When I look at the amount for items I'm winning, I gulp, wipe the perspiration off the top of my forehead and then root for a few of my bids to be topped.

A couple of days later when I am still the top, I start thinking about what cash is liquid, what I would need to pull from investments, and of course, how I break it to my wife. I then go into this crazy rationalization that says "well, if I get those cards for this price, I will gladly pay it!"... when then gets me back to the conversation with the MRS and how much hell there will be to pay if I win everything.

This then leads to 99% of the bids eventually being topped and usually 2-3x the amount that I put in. The auction eventually closes with me either being shut out or winning one item that was probably at the bottom of the list (or something that I already had but I thought it was a good deal) and I bemoan my floor bids not holding up.

One day, I will not go through this cycle, but, alas, it is my 2x a year (soon to be 3x) REA experience...

Peter_Spaeth 10-07-2018 06:06 PM

I'm with Kevin. I am by no means cheap but I can't seem to ever win anything in REA for what seems to me to be a strong bid. There's always someone willing to place a crazy bid. Good for the consignors and the house, no doubt.

Rhotchkiss 10-07-2018 06:48 PM

For me, REA always has a handful of things you hardly ever see and/or things I really want. So, I place a ton of bids day-1, and then I reduce the want list to a top handful; sometimes they just get way too high for what I think they are worth (e.g., the very pretty (maybe undergraded) 1914 CJ Matty PSA 1). By the final day, I have my eye on a 1-4 cards, and I usually end up overpaying for a few prized pieces. I don’t mind overpaying (within reason), because the REA items I get are usually going into the vault. You most definitely do not see many “bargains”, but you can pick up many “keepers”

CW 10-07-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kailes2872 (Post 1818024)
It always feels like a drunken bender in Vegas when I put my initial bids in. When I look at the amount for items I'm winning, I gulp, wipe the perspiration off the top of my forehead and then root for a few of my bids to be topped.

A couple of days later when I am still the top, I start thinking about what cash is liquid, what I would need to pull from investments, and of course, how I break it to my wife. I then go into this crazy rationalization that says "well, if I get those cards for this price, I will gladly pay it!"... when then gets me back to the conversation with the MRS and how much hell there will be to pay if I win everything.

This then leads to 99% of the bids eventually being topped and usually 2-3x the amount that I put in. The auction eventually closes with me either being shut out or winning one item that was probably at the bottom of the list (or something that I already had but I thought it was a good deal) and I bemoan my floor bids not holding up.

One day, I will not go through this cycle, but, alas, it is my 2x a year (soon to be 3x) REA experience...

You absolutely nailed it. I thought it was just me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1818036)
You most definitely do not see many “bargains”, but you can pick up many “keepers”

So true, Ryan!

ALBB 10-07-2018 07:20 PM

bidding

CW

Wow, that is me almost every time !

Oops..I mean Kevin

hcv123 10-07-2018 08:56 PM

Resonate with both of you

[QUOTE]It always feels like a drunken bender in Vegas when I put my initial bids in. When I look at the amount for items I'm winning, I gulp, wipe the perspiration off the top of my forehead and then root for a few of my bids to be topped.

One day, I will not go through this cycle, but, alas, it is my 2x a year (soon to be 3x) REA experience... [QOUTE]

All except the "Mrs" part - I paid dearly to have her out of my life a couple of years ago (still recovering) - Why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1818036)
For me, REA always has a handful of things you hardly ever see and/or things I really want. So, I place a ton of bids day-1, and then I reduce the want list to a top handful; sometimes they just get way too high for what I think they are worth (e.g., the very pretty (maybe undergraded) 1914 CJ Matty PSA 1). By the final day, I have my eye on a 1-4 cards, and I usually end up overpaying for a few prized pieces. I don’t mind overpaying (within reason), because the REA items I get are usually going into the vault. You most definitely do not see many “bargains”, but you can pick up many “keepers”

Definitely shows up with the goods. I got a few goodies last auction - hope for a few more this one.

riggs336 10-08-2018 04:52 PM

Normally I will have somewhere between two and twenty lots in my auction Watchlist. I counted 113 items REA items I want to bid on. I told my wife, "One of us is going to be really disappointed about this auction."

Topnotchsy 10-08-2018 06:19 PM

Question, do I have to request a catalog if I consigned items last auction and always big on some items (although it's been a couple of years since I won anything) or do they send one without me making the request?

hcv123 10-08-2018 07:00 PM

I believe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 1818301)
Question, do I have to request a catalog if I consigned items last auction and always big on some items (although it's been a couple of years since I won anything) or do they send one without me making the request?

You should get one.

Topnotchsy 10-08-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1818317)
You should get one.

Thanks!

Dpoolem3 10-08-2018 09:35 PM

Bidding on one item

Locked in and focused

Will do everything it takes to w...

and I'm outbid

I'm out

T206Collector 10-09-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpoolem3 (Post 1818356)
Bidding on one item

Locked in and focused

Will do everything it takes to w...

and I'm outbid

I'm out

:p

ejharrington 10-12-2018 05:52 AM

Has anybody received the catalog yet? I still haven't got mine.

iwantitiwinit 10-12-2018 05:54 AM

Received mine yesterday. Still amazed the catalogs are free, printing must be $30 per catalog and add to that the shipping cost. Tells you how lucrative the auctions are for REA.

iowadoc77 10-12-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1819114)
Received mine yesterday. Still amazed the catalogs are free, printing must be $30 per catalog and add to that the shipping cost. Tells you how lucrative the auctions are for REA.

Well, on $1 million of hammer price, they get $200k, and there are a few millions in this auction. It adds up fast, but I agree, the catalogs are a mint to print. But oh that smell!

Howe’s Hunter 10-12-2018 09:59 AM

About that smell ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowadoc77 (Post 1819169)
Well, on $1 million of hammer price, they get $200k, and there are a few millions in this auction. It adds up fast, but I agree, the catalogs are a mint to print. But oh that smell!

If I could develop a cologne that smelled like an REA catalog, my wife wouldn't be able to keep her hands off me. She spends more time with the catalog, just smelling it, than I do looking at the cards.

ValKehl 10-12-2018 11:24 AM

Mine just arrived.

pawpawdiv9 10-12-2018 12:31 PM

Mine came today. And yes the smell is great!!
Be good reading materials on a long drive up north tomorrow.

Stampsfan 10-12-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1819217)
Mine came today. And yes the smell is great!!

What would be really cool is if they could somehow make the catalog smell like a stick of gum, in a wax wrapper.

ValKehl 10-12-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1819248)
What would be really cool is if they could somehow make the catalog smell like a stick of gum, in a wax wrapper.

Yes, but only for the catalog pages that have the "R" cards. The catalog pages with the "N" and "T" cards should smell like a tobacco product, and the pages with the "E" cards should smell like candy. :)

ullmandds 10-12-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 1819351)
Yes, but only for the catalog pages that have the "R" cards. The catalog pages with the "N" and "T" cards should smell like a tobacco product, and the pages with the "E" cards should smell like candy. :)

that'd be somethin'!

iowadoc77 10-12-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha (Post 1819182)
If I could develop a cologne that smelled like an REA catalog, my wife wouldn't be able to keep her hands off me. She spends more time with the catalog, just smelling it, than I do looking at the cards.

That’s hilarious! I just told my wife that and she said that she is not a fan at all of the smell. I told her she is crazy. :D

Leon 10-13-2018 08:00 AM

added smell pages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1819352)
that'd be somethin'!

If we are on this track let's don't forget the non sport actress cards.

http://luckeycards.com/peunc1930sbettedavis.jpg

sycks22 10-13-2018 10:56 AM

When my wife sees me smell it I get some pretty odd looks. Always the highlight of the year.

OLDBILL 10-13-2018 11:21 AM

Rea

Got mine yesterday. I was wondering: Is there anything in the catalog that's not at their online auction site?

If they're the same, how about having the option of being sent, instead of a catalog, a $20 bill (a pleasant smell) or discount off their 20% commission?

Hmm...

iowadoc77 10-13-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDBILL (Post 1819455)
Got mine yesterday. I was wondering: Is there anything in the catalog that's not at their online auction site?

If they're the same, how about having the option of being sent, instead of a catalog, a $20 bill (a pleasant smell) or discount off their 20% commission?

Hmm...

Smell is worth more than $20 to me!
I have all the REA catalogs I have received over the years. I like to look back at the once in awhile.

insidethewrapper 10-13-2018 08:46 PM

My wife says " get that catalog out of here" . She can't stand the smell.

yanksfan09 10-15-2018 05:54 AM

Is anyone else having trouble logging in to see auction/bids? The homepage works for me but nothing else for past couple of days.

T206Collector 10-15-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1819816)
Is anyone else having trouble logging in to see auction/bids? The homepage works for me but nothing else for past couple of days.

No issues here.