Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I feel sorry... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=193173)

brewing 08-30-2014 10:58 AM

Is like to agree with you, but I've been there. Now where did I put that stack of Cory Snyder rookies cards? Oh, yea. Right next to my box of Mike Greenwell rookies.

yanksfan09 08-30-2014 11:41 AM

On the bright side, it's less money chasing nice pre war cards /memorabilia so he's not driving the price up on stuff we buy....

sbfinley 08-30-2014 12:36 PM

Winner will almost certainly be a repack company like Leaf or the hobby shop out of CA that produces their own repackaged product. They will use it to headline their next product issue and almost certainly make a solid profit. The card will almost certainly be pulled in group break (like its seems Net54 will get into soon) and that person will only be into a card with a previous five figure sale only a fraction of that price. Not to mention the coin the person who pulled the card is looking at. I wouldn't ever personally pay that much for a card of someone who doesn't even have a MLB at bat yet, but I'm hesitant to label it stupid when at least four parties (probstein included) stand to profit in the near future.

HRBAKER 08-30-2014 01:10 PM

I don't know, investing in Cubs has always been a strong long term play. :)

Bored5000 08-30-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbfinley (Post 1316417)
Winner will almost certainly be a repack company like Leaf or the hobby shop out of CA that produces their own repackaged product. They will use it to headline their next product issue and almost certainly make a solid profit. The card will almost certainly be pulled in group break (like its seems Net54 will get into soon) and that person will only be into a card with a previous five figure sale only a fraction of that price. Not to mention the coin the person who pulled the card is looking at. I wouldn't ever personally pay that much for a card of someone who doesn't even have a MLB at bat yet, but I'm hesitant to label it stupid when at least four parties (probstein included) stand to profit in the near future.

That is largely how I look at it as well. Modern cards aren't my thing at all, but I am reluctant to call someone speculating on one or buying one "dumb" or "stupid." People can spend their money on whatever they want. To a very large segment of the population, spending $10K on any baseball card -- pre-war or modern -- would be "dumb" or "stupid."

Sure, pre-war cards hold their value better than flavor of the month modern cards. But a collector can also lose his shirt on a $10,000 individual pre-war card as well.

yanks12025 08-30-2014 01:56 PM

Hey. Good thing at least is that it's a real auto. What about the people who spend thousands on signed baseball cards, and they contain fake autos.

HOF Auto Rookies 08-30-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1316440)
Hey. Good thing at least is that it's a real auto. What about the people who spend thousands on signed baseball cards, and they contain fake autos.

Who knows if it's real, they don't all have reps sitting with all these players any given time while they sign. I think there was some issue in the past like with Bernie Williams I believe where he had someone else sign his "certified" cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runscott 08-30-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1316437)
That is largely how I look at it as well. Modern cards aren't my thing at all, but I am reluctant to call someone speculating on one or buying one "dumb" or "stupid." People can spend their money on whatever they want. To a very large segment of the population, spending $10K on any baseball card -- pre-war or modern -- would be "dumb" or "stupid."

Sure, pre-war cards hold their value better than flavor of the month modern cards. But a collector can also lose his shirt on a $10,000 individual pre-war card as well.

A couple of big differences I see: for a collector to lose his shirt on a $10K pre-war card, he has to get caught up in a bidding war that is emotional (most $10K pre-war cards have fairly well established values that are stable for longer periods). A speculative $10 modern card can lose its value really quickly.

The second difference is the collector/dealer relationship. I could certainly be wrong about this, as I am not involved in modern cards, but my guess is that dealers are generally going to dump the high-priced modern speculative cards quickly, while they have high 'value'. In other words, much more likely that the collector gets caught without a chair, than with collectors of pre-war stuff. Basically, dealers of modern stuff are turning it over more quickly because they know it's more dangerous to hang onto things. I also suspect there are more collector/dealer types with prewar, whereas with modern there are probably a lot of straight dealers.

johnmh71 08-30-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1316437)

Seriously? I beg to differ based on the last 30 years of card collecting. The only way you can lose your shirt on a $10,000 pre-war card is if you paid way more than it was worth. It isn't going to go down in value.

HOF Auto Rookies 08-30-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1316445)
A speculative $10 modern card can lose its value really.

This is it right here, Bryant steps out of the box wrong, can't avoid a pitch or what not, career could be done and that $10k card is now in a $20 bin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk