Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hmmm... Sticker on my SGC submission (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=156849)

t206hound 09-21-2012 04:19 PM

Hmmm... Sticker on my SGC submission

Just got my submission back from SGC, and this 'static sticker' was on the top of the stack. Not quite sure how I feel about this. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/22/ysa6upys.jpg

HOF Auto Rookies 09-21-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206hound (Post 1038315)
Just got my submission back from SGC, and this 'static sticker' was on the top of the stack. Not quite sure how I feel about this. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/22/ysa6upys.jpg

I've had that too, along with Heritage auctions. It seems the more "valuable/desirable" cards get the Heritage, whereas the others get Probstein. I mean it shouldn't really affect you, Probstein pays to have SGC do that, and if it bothers you, peel it off and throw it away. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's a little advertising sticker that doesn't affect the card...

Big Six 09-21-2012 05:17 PM

Actually very neat marketing concept...nicely done by probstein...and smart for SGC, too!

Tsaiko 09-21-2012 05:22 PM

I'd rather have a coupon for a Giant Chocolate Fudge ice cream bar.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...2539604.column

Apparently, Anthem Blue Cross of California seems to think that ice cream coupons are a great way to help their subscribers stay healthy.

As it relates to the static sticker, if you get something from one company, it invariably will have a tie in to some other company. At least SGC is keeping it within the realm of reality.

Sheesh! Sorry to vent in your thread, but it just reminded me of today's article.

bobbyw8469 09-21-2012 06:43 PM

Actually, I had that little 'sticker' leave a weird residue behind on a card that was impossible to remove. Interesting thread about it across the street.

t206hound 09-21-2012 06:46 PM

I know it's a marketing technique/revenue stream and ultimately benefits both companies... There's always been inserts, but I paused when there was something stuck to my slab.

Jason 09-21-2012 06:57 PM

It seems like them should just insert a index card with the companies information similar to how Sterling did with your package.I would just rip that sticker off and trash it,a card might not be immediately discarded.I guess the sticker is more cost effective.

7nohitter 09-21-2012 07:06 PM

WHAT that looks like a farce!

ynnek4 09-21-2012 07:31 PM

I had a Memory Lane sticker on a new PSA holder.

Big Six 09-21-2012 07:33 PM

It's only cool if it's a static cling (which leaves no residue)...anything sticky...obviously not cool....

t206hound 09-21-2012 07:49 PM

It was a static cling piece that didn't leave any marks

wonkaticket 09-21-2012 11:45 PM

Not a huge fan….as a third party grader I would think they would want to be as impartial as they can.

Sure it’s great for Probstein but what message does that send other customers and auction companies that use SGC?

Then you open up the Pandora’s box of other folks wanting their name and mug on cards….before you know it you’re spending more quality control on equal distribution of stickers into pack ups amongst your advertisers. Making sure sticker A doesn't end up at company B etc.

For me I want two things when I send cards to a TPG. Quality grading and attention to detail. I may be silly but even the one second the person takes to remember the advertiser sticker when packing up my junk. Is one second of attention he’s not giving my submission.

Not to mention do you really want your company associated in any way with an outside source you don’t control? Then there is the sure to come the voices saying “hmmm boy that Rick sure gets some good grades….I’m sure it has nothing to do with the advertising cash and stickers.”

I can’t imagine the extra cash from an outside source is worth the above but who knows perhaps it’s a huge win.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

John

Texxxx 09-22-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1038473)
Not a huge fan….as a third party grader I would think they would want to be as impartial as they can.

Sure it’s great for Probstein but what message does that send other customers and auction companies that use SGC?

Then you open up the Pandora’s box of other folks wanting their name and mug on cards….before you know it you’re spending more quality control on equal distribution of stickers into pack ups amongst your advertisers. Making sure sticker A doesn't end up at company B etc.

For me I want two things when I send cards to a TPG. Quality grading and attention to detail. I may be silly but even the one second the person takes to remember the advertiser sticker when packing up my junk. Is one second of attention he’s not giving my submission.

Not to mention do you really want your company associated in any way with an outside source you don’t control? Then there is the sure to come the voices saying “hmmm boy that Rick sure gets some good grades….I’m sure it has nothing to do with the advertising cash and stickers.”

I can’t imagine the extra cash from an outside source is worth the above but who knows perhaps it’s a huge win.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

John

I agree.
To me it is saying that the company is having financial problems and is looking for ways of bringing in more money. They are doing it the wrong way though. I see lots of problems with this direction they are going.

t206blogcom 09-22-2012 06:42 AM

I got my SGC submission back a couple of days ago and had the same sticker. I was familar with the sticker and I've bought cards from that vendor and the sticker came on the cards. But having it on a TPG rubbed me the wrong way.

On a side note, SGC is getting very sloppy these days! The last two submissions came back with inserts that weren't custom cut or poorly cut, scratches on the case and fingerprints/residue inside of the case. Come on SGC! Don't turn into PSA, please!

Sean1125 09-22-2012 06:47 AM

I don't think it's financial problems, I think it's a mutually beneficial advertising relationship. Who is to tell someone not to advertise with who they wish? It's a free market. I believe PSA does the same thing.

HOF Auto Rookies 09-22-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1038500)
I don't think it's financial problems, I think it's a mutually beneficial advertising relationship. Who is to tell someone not to advertise with who they wish? It's a free market. I believe PSA does the same thing.

Yes they do, they have Heritage

Leon 09-22-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1038500)

I agree. I think it's smart on SGC and Probstein's part. Doesn't bother me at all. I expect great grading and service from SGC and take each card on it's own merit. No way in heck do I think Rick will get preferential grading by doing it either. Kudos to both of them. If anyone doesn't like then there are other choices or they can start their own grading company.

yankeeno7 09-22-2012 08:51 AM

I dont like the sticker idea but I have no problem with little advertising cards thrown in the box. Advertising is just every day business though I dont think it is wise to put crap on what is now another person's property.

I dont find any big deal with a TPG having advertising agreements with any legitimate company. They do it on their website so why not a little advertising piece.

...just not stupid stickers on my case no matter if they are an actual sticker or a cling

camlov2 09-22-2012 09:44 AM

I think I will start collecting a monster's monster. A set of T206 cards with each back and each static cling front...

wonkaticket 09-22-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1038526)
I agree. I think it's smart on SGC and Probstein's part. Doesn't bother me at all. I expect great grading and service from SGC and take each card on it's own merit. No way in heck do I think Rick will get preferential grading by doing it either. Kudos to both of them. If anyone doesn't like then there are other choices or they can start their own grading company.

Sorry Leon disagree. :p

You see no need or merit for impartiality from a TPG when it comes to the vendors who use and sell their product? You see no potential message or conflict in this action to other customers who support them?

I’m not saying that anyone was or would get preferential treatment or grading buy being an advertiser. However why even put yourself at the risk of having anyone think it?

They are commercial business who depends on other paying customer’s income. They’re not Net54 a free website who offsets costs by taking advertising income. You can take the stance don’t like go somewhere else pound sand…SGC not so much. To me it’s like Coke placing stickers for 7-11 on all cans what does that say to other retailers who sell Coke products? Doing a promotion letting your customers know that Coke products are available at these fine retailers is one thing. But that’s not what this sticker is.

I like SGC a lot. Outside looking in here I kind of wish they would spend more energy pimping their brand vs. taking that time to let me know that some eBay seller is looking for material to sell. As a collector I already know that there are folks out there looking for stuff to sell and make 10-20% off the proceeds.

What would be nice to know is what kind of specials and products will SGC be offering to get more of my (the customers) business. When communicating with your end users to me that should be a company like SGC’s number one priority. Any opportunity in any other direction no matter how small is a lost opportunity as business and a missed opportunity with your customer.

In a nutshell pimp your brand to your customers. Who they sell their SGC graded cards too shouldn’t be a concern or something they should be taking time with. They should be concerned with folks sending more boxes of cards to them for grading. Not folks sending boxes of cards to an eBay seller.

In the end not upset don’t really care either way their business. So when are the B&L clings hitting the boxes Leon? :)

Cheers,

John

CMIZ5290 09-22-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1038526)

+1, although I know Jeff L. will disagree!

Leon 09-22-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1038627)

You see no need or merit for impartiality from a TPG when it comes to the vendors who use and sell their product? You see no potential message or conflict in this action to other customers who support them?

I’m not saying that anyone was or would get preferential treatment or grading buy being an advertiser. However why even put yourself at the risk of having anyone think it?

They are commercial business who depends on other paying customer’s income. They’re not Net54 a free website who offsets costs by taking advertising income. You can take the stance don’t like go somewhere else pound sand…SGC not so much. To me it’s like Coke placing stickers for 7-11 on all cans what does that say to other retailers who sell Coke products? Doing a promotion letting your customers know that Coke products are available at these fine retailers is one thing. But that’s not what this sticker is.

I like SGC a lot. Outside looking in here I kind of wish they would spend more energy pimping their brand vs. taking that time to let me know that some eBay seller is looking for material to sell. As a collector I already know that there are folks out there looking for stuff to sell and make 10-20% off the proceeds.

What would be nice to know is what kind of specials and products will SGC be offering to get more of my (the customers) business. When communicating with your end users to me that should be a company like SGC’s number one priority. Any opportunity in any other direction no matter how small is a lost opportunity as business and a missed opportunity with your customer.

In a nutshell pimp your brand to your customers. Who they sell their SGC graded cards too shouldn’t be a concern or something they should be taking time with. They should be concerned with folks sending more boxes of cards to them for grading. Not folks sending boxes of cards to an eBay seller.

In the end not upset don’t really care either way their business. So when are the B&L clings hitting the boxes Leon? :)

Cheers,

John

Hey John
Actually, I can still separate the difference in the branding of a dealer and SGC. It's no different than someone advertising on their site, to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We can be great friends and still agree to disagree on this one. I just think it's good business and smart business for both of those companies. I think I am open minded enough to change my opinion if I am convinced otherwise, but that's not the case as of now. Probstein keeping their name in front of SGC customers is good business imo. But what do I know?

HOF Auto Rookies 09-22-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1038627)

Cheers,

John

Sorry, but that Coke analogy is bad, and does not work or make sense to this situation. Probstein and Heritage or Memory Lane do not provide the same product as SGC or PSA. They do not grade and encapsulate cards, they SELL them. If they did grade and encapsulate, yes the Coke/7-11 deal would apply. The Coke and 7-11 reference is that they have the same product, they manufacture there own beverage.

wonkaticket 09-22-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1038642)
Sorry, but that Coke analogy is bad, and does not work or make sense to this situation. Probstein and Heritage or Memory Lane do not provide the same product as SGC or PSA. They do not grade and encapsulate cards, they SELL them. If they did grade and encapsulate, yes the Coke/7-11 deal would apply. The Coke and 7-11 reference is that they have the same product, they manufacture there own beverage.

The Coke analogy has nothing to do with anyone offering the same services/products or being in competition with each other you missed the point.

I’m simply saying that if you’re a retailer who supports Coke and you see 7-11 stickers that have nothing to do with Coke or a Coke specific 7-11 promotion on Coke products it may send mixed messages to you the other retailer and Coke supporter.

Let me put in terms of our hobby so perhaps it’s more clear. Your say REA and you send a fair amount of business and grading to SGC and now SGC is placing your competitor’s stickers on their product. Then they are sending this stickered product to end users and potential consignors of material in effect endorsing your competitor. You see no potential pitfall with this?

In the end not sure anyone cares and that may be the case. However if I was SGC the ROI wouldn’t be worth the potential mixed message that my other customers may get from this move. With that said the above analogy is just one point and a minor one that I made. Also as I said not a big deal either way.

Cheers,

John

alanu 09-22-2012 05:38 PM

I don't see any problem with auction companies paying for advertising with grading companies as long as they are simply auctioning off graded cards.... BUT if they are submitting cards for grading I think it's a problem.

It would be like Consumer Reports full of ads for the products they are testing.

dog*dirt 09-22-2012 06:21 PM

Interesting topic with some good discussion so far. The word that comes to mind when I read this thread is perception.

No matter how innocent a business card or a cling may be in most other businesses when it comes to a TPG my expectation is that they are a neutral company with no bias as to who is submitting cards. All I really want are cards to be graded fairly whether the card is worth $20 or $20,000 and whether or not it comes from some guy who submits 20 cards or someone who submits 20,000 cards.

One can argue that SGC are free to advertise how they choose and I do not disagree. However, my perception will remain that certain people get preferential treatment over others because they advertise with SGC. While this may or may not be true doesn't really matter it's just how I will see it.

Andrew Hahn

Matt 09-22-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206blogcom (Post 1038499)
On a side note, SGC is getting very sloppy these days! The last two submissions came back with inserts that weren't custom cut or poorly cut, scratches on the case and fingerprints/residue inside of the case. Come on SGC! Don't turn into PSA, please!

This is the only part of this that would bother me - getting that sticker on and us taking it off exposes the case to extra handling/scratching. Now, it is a protective case, which is supposed to get dinged up to protect the card inside, but I like to scan mine as soon as I get them so I have scratch free scans.

bobbyw8469 09-23-2012 06:41 AM

I have a pic of a card that was blatantly messed up by the sticker residue that was left behind when that sticker was pulled off. Granted, it was an isolated incident, but it was the weirdest thing I had seen. I could not get the residue off (it looked like a cloudy haze with little bubbles in it) and it was very visible when tipped in certain light.

http://img2.sellersourcebook.com/use.../@@_img320.jpg