Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O.T New York City Postal Worker Busted for Stealing Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=188365)

brookdodger55 05-23-2014 09:02 AM

O.T New York City Postal Worker Busted for Stealing Cards

http://nypost.com/2014/05/22/man-bus...aseball-cards/

KCRfan1 05-23-2014 09:12 AM

Am I reading this correctly? The supervisor purchased cards from someone who works below him, who had PREVIOUSLY been arrested for stealing mail? How in the hell do these people keep their jobs?

sam majors 05-23-2014 09:34 AM

Punished!

The underling was punished under the policy of the USPS and Federal guide lines. He was allowed to keep his job but would receive only 85% of his yearly bonus. He will not be allowed to steal high dollar baseball cards, only commons. His union has vowed to fight the action taken. It should be resolved June, 2021
Sam Majors ;) ;) ;)

Boccabella 05-23-2014 10:32 AM

A little more info: http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...aseball-cards/

jhs5120 05-23-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam majors (Post 1279608)
The underling was punished under the policy of the USPS and Federal guide lines. He was allowed to keep his job but would receive only 85% of his yearly bonus. He will not be allowed to steal high dollar baseball cards, only commons. His union has vowed to fight the action taken. It should be resolved June, 2021
Sam Majors ;) ;) ;)

That sounds about right.

Although; even though he needs to forfeit 15% of his yearly bonus, he will be granted 3 months paid leave while the trial commences, and still accrue his bonus during that period.

oldjudge 05-23-2014 11:37 AM

Post missed a great headline possibility: "Postal Service Bu Bu"

nolemmings 05-23-2014 11:56 AM

I thought something similar when I first saw that Jay: Bu who?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 05-23-2014 12:28 PM

Stories like this make me shake my head. I often forget the immense trust that we put into people when we mail a package. All it takes is one bad apple to make something disappear.

KCRfan1 05-23-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam majors (Post 1279608)
Sam Majors ;) ;) ;)

I see. Thanks for clearing this up for me Sam. Since I am a tax payer, I hope my tax dollars will go to an attorney for Bu so he can have his name cleared and given a promotion at the USPS, and this " misunderstanding " will be forever erased from the records. It will be as though it never happened.

buymycards 05-23-2014 04:35 PM

Stealing

Hi Lou,
FYI, the Postal Service has not received any tax dollars since the early 1970's. All of our revenue is generated from our products and services.

Anyway, I hope this loser gets fired, loses his pension, and ends up in prison. Things like this make me sick and we should have zero tolerance.

This guy is a supervisor, so he does not have a union to back him. He does have a professional organization called NAPS, (National Association of Postal Supervisors), who will be forced to provide him with representation to help him save his job, but I think he will lose and will be fired. His rep is not a lawyer, but someone who is trained to help managers who are in trouble. His defense will be paid for by NAPS, not by the Postal Service or by taxes.

I do believe there will also be criminal charges, and he will need to retain his own lawyer for those charges.

Rick

KCRfan1 05-23-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1279795)
Hi Lou,
FYI, the Postal Service has not received any tax dollars since the early 1970's. All of our revenue is generated from our products and services.

Anyway, I hope this loser gets fired, loses his pension, and ends up in prison. Things like this make me sick and we should have zero tolerance.

This guy is a supervisor, so he does not have a union to back him. He does have a professional organization called NAPS, (National Association of Postal Supervisors), who will be forced to provide him with representation to help him save his job, but I think he will lose and will be fired. His rep is not a lawyer, but someone who is trained to help managers who are in trouble. His defense will be paid for by NAPS, not by the Postal Service or by taxes.

I do believe there will also be criminal charges, and he will need to retain his own lawyer for those charges.

Rick

Rick,

I have bought from you before on ebay, and loved the items. You are a 100% trustworthy seller.

Lou

sam majors 05-23-2014 05:45 PM

Sorry about the confusion!

Rick,
My post was a tongue in cheek comment concerning why the employee who had been arrested earlier for stealing mail still had his job. It was in response to a question posed by Lou. No where in the article did it say the underling still had his job. Hopefully he was fired. The USPS does an amazing job day in and day out. In no way was I trying to demean Postal workers at all. Sam Majors

KCRfan1 05-23-2014 08:19 PM

As were my comments. I am on the record as never having any problems or difficulties with the USPS.

Lou

kmac32 05-23-2014 10:09 PM

Wow......
What can you say but wow

Exhibitman 05-23-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1279872)
As were my comments. I am on the record as never having any problems or difficulties with the USPS.

Lou

Until now...

KCRfan1 05-24-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1279906)
Until now...

LOL, I know........

buymycards 05-25-2014 09:27 AM

Lou

Hi Lou, I appreciate your comments. I knew that most of the responses were tongue-in-cheek with a little bit of the truth thrown in, but it really bothers me when Postal employees steal and it bothers me a lot when they steal baseball cards.

Take care,

Rick

bobbyw8469 05-26-2014 10:56 AM

I had a card stolen from a postal worker in NC. I alerted the post office of the matter, and they acted like they could have cared less.

brightair 05-26-2014 11:12 AM

stolen mail

The PO does a great job, almost all the time. I have learned from bad experience that it only takes one time to realize that dropping a package in the mail without insurance is a gamble and you WILL inevitably lose that gamble sooner or later.
I sent what I thought was an innocent looking package that arrived in good shape, except for the fact that it had been neatly sliced open and relieved of its contents. The PO at the receiving end was kind enough to send photos of the slit envelope.
The theft was reported and naturally that was the last I ever heard of it.
Now I pay the insurance on anything over a minimal value.

pbspelly 05-28-2014 06:43 AM

I'm curious what the theft rate really is among postal workers. Just from my own experience, I'd have to believe it is extraordinarily low. A lot lower than you would expect considering the variety and value of items that get sent through the mail. I think I've had one, maybe two, packages go permanently missing in all of my years of sending and ordering items through the US mail. Sometimes they took their own sweet time about getting it there, but that's a different story ...

bobbyw8469 05-28-2014 07:08 AM

It is low, but everybody remembers the ones that got "missing", not the slew of packages that made it to their destination. In my instance, like the victim in the story, I used one of those collection drop boxes. NEVER AGAIN! Always get the packages scanned by a clerk that you hand the packages to. It is easier to trace who last handled the package in case they need to fire someone. Once you put it in the collection box, then anything goes.

barrysloate 05-28-2014 07:38 AM

On occasion, first class insured packages go missing. But registered mail packages virtually never do. They have to be signed for every step of the way, so if they disappear the last person who signed is held responsible. At least that is how I understand it.

I shipped more than a thousand registered mail packages over a 25+ year period, and never lost a single one.