Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Always Research everything! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273067)

yanks12025 09-01-2019 07:16 AM

Always Research everything!

Posting this as advice for others

Bought a lot couple months back at a local auction of bats, tennis balls in tins and tennis racquets. Only bought it for the bats, didn’t care about the other stuff. Finally today set up at a flea market to move junk sitting around the house, put the tennis balls and racquets out. You aren’t allowed to do sales until 8 but we set up at 7 and right away someone asked about the tennis racquet. I was only asking $10 each, so he said he’d take one. So couldn’t complete the deal until 8, so I decided to research the racquet again because it was a Wright & Ditson. Then found out it’s probably a $750 plus dollar racquet , some even selling for $2,000.

Never would have expected a racket to be worth so much. I think(not sure) If i did research the racquet months ago but the end looked like it was bent from being smashed. And other Wright & Ditson racquets didn’t sell much. Turned out that is what makes it special being a tilted head and just so happens one sold on eBay within the last week. Doubt there was an example when I first looked if I even did look.

So just make sure you research until you find an example of whatever your item is. I did end up selling it for the $10, tried to buy it back for $100(before he even paid). Could have probably just said no to the deal because money didn’t exchange hands, but wasn’t going to do that.

thetruthisoutthere 09-01-2019 12:56 PM

Admirable and honest of you, Brock.

bnorth 09-02-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1913416)
Admirable and honest of you, Brock.

A big +1, very very awesome you followed through.

Too bad mt last 2 deals on here weren't done with someone like you.:eek:

Case12 09-02-2019 09:27 AM

Integrity is in short supply today. My Dad did this same thing with a piece of land long ago. It taught me a lot. Thanks for sharing.

hcv123 09-03-2019 07:53 PM

integrity!!

"integrity is what you do when no one is looking" forget who gets credit for that one, but kudos to the op for showing it. Sadly I have periods of my life where I have been out of alignment with mine - It has been a painful but valuable lesson that I will never be out of alignment with it again!

This is not the first post I have seen on this board where great integrity is modeled - never get tired of seeing them.

Screw the $$ - that is much easier to earn back than your integrity!!

murphusa 09-04-2019 07:13 AM

You can also look at it as the buyer knew he was stealing it and maybe you really didn't owe him any service.

Case12 09-04-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1914235)
You can also look at it as the buyer knew he was stealing it and maybe you really didn't owe him any service.

This has often troubled me. But who would'nt pick up a signed Cobb for $100 at a garage sale? Heck, my wife blushes when I would push it and offer them $50.

yanks12025 09-04-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 1914235)

In the end I should have just done better research. As another poster said if you come across a Cobb ball for $100, I doubt many people here would pass up the chance on it for so cheap.