Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Houses Should Defend Themselves (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217306)

ezez420 01-29-2016 02:47 PM

Houses Should Defend Themselves

Given the huge amount of bashing in the criminal activities post on individuals and in the hobby I wanted to start this as a Positive post. There are plenty of people who don't partake in this behavior nor allow it. I am one of them and have no respect for the people that do. I think the houses and honest individuals who enjoy this hobby for fun or investment purposes should speak up.

I believe that people like Al from Love of the Game, Dave from Small Traditions and Brent from PWCC are just three of the good people that I will say make me feel there is integrity out there and enjoy what they do for this hobby to stay alive. This is not to say there arent others but think these guys are good for the hobby to thrive.

In due time I am sure others will be caught but that isnt my problem.

Stonepony 01-29-2016 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 219404

Sorry, not quite ready for endorsements

bwbc917 01-29-2016 03:01 PM

Good Guy

I'll put in a vote for Dave Schrader at Baggers as a good and true guy to do business with. In the past few years I have also gotten great service from Brian at Mile High and the folks at Goodwin.

Econteachert205 01-29-2016 03:07 PM

I have never had a bad transaction I know of on these boards... So us.

MattyC 01-29-2016 03:13 PM

There are so many great guys in this hobby, with whom I've had great dealings. So many right here on this board in fact. Too many to even rattle off names.

One other thing I know: my love of cards and collecting, the enjoyment they give, alongside the enjoyment of talking cards with the collecting colleagues I've made over the years, is far, far too awesome and valuable to be tainted by the dealings of some others. Of course there is much work and cleaning up to be done, much room for improvement-- as there is in anything where humans and their flaws dwell. But cards will always be intrinsically good.

Rich Klein 01-29-2016 03:19 PM

Off the top of my heard: Lee at Sterling is great

Plug here:

BYW -- if you want to see "honesty" in action and you live in the DFW area, please come to my shows. Most of our dealers are "weekend warriors" who do this hobby because they love it and most are also very fair to deal with.

Regards
Rich

earlywynnfan 01-29-2016 03:53 PM

Paul from Fusco auctions is as good as they come.

ken

Joshchisox08 01-29-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1497410)
Attachment 219404

Sorry, not quite ready for endorsements

Certainly not PWCC

drcy 01-29-2016 04:12 PM

I think the majority of people are honest and good.

Brian Van Horn 01-29-2016 04:15 PM

People I trust:

Dave Schrader of Bagger's Auctions.
David Bryan
Kevin Savage
Wayne Varner and Bill Zimpleman
George Ryden
John and Judy Burk
Mike McKee
Lou Swartz
Todd Schultz
Mark Macrae
Scott Mt. Joy
Rand and Alice Bailey
William Chappell

By no means an exhaustive list.

bnorth 01-29-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1497413)

+1 This board is great for buying the lower end vintage cards I collect. I have easily had way over 200 awesome transactions with some great people and only one bad experience. That is a way better ratio than eBay.

h2oya311 01-29-2016 04:25 PM

Another vote for:

> Al C. at Love of the Game Auctions
> Folks selling on Net54 BST page (mostly)

And also a vote for:

> Rhys Y. at RMY Auctions

Other than that, I'm now skeptical of everyone else. I'm not sure how much tongue in cheek was happening in the posts prior to mine, but I would absolutely remove a few of those names.

I can't believe someone put in a good word for Small Traditions. I have an issue with any company that spends that much effort trying to get a bump in grades at PSA, going so far as outright admitting that they will do whatever it takes to get a card the grade it "deserves." Great for the consignor, not so great for the buyer with that "low-end" example. How many side-deals have they made to get a special bump is probably beyond comprehension.

jbsports33 01-29-2016 04:43 PM

I enjoy my time in this hobby very much, I try and keep it low key - but with everything you need to take the good and bad at times. I want to thank all those that do keep a positive attitude and make it enjoyable for me and the collectors and dealers I work with.

Thanks Net54 members!

Jimmy

7nohitter 01-29-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1497443)
+1 This board is great for buying the lower end vintage cards I collect. I have easily had way over 200 awesome transactions with some great people and only one bad experience. That is a way better ratio than eBay.

Well said, Ben. I have made many transactions on this board with some great people! Very lucky and appreciative! This includes a guy up in Vermont who sent me a Mickey Mantle signed baseball before he even had my check because, as he stated, "I'm a fellow New Englander" and he knew I was good for it!

Andrew Mi**ller

hangman62 01-29-2016 06:16 PM

honest

cant go wrong with Sean Bassick

ElCabron 01-29-2016 06:40 PM

Put me down as another vote for Al C. with Love of The Game Auctions.

-Ryan

Runscott 01-29-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 1497510)
Put me down as another vote for Al C. with Love of The Game Auctions.

-Ryan

Same here. Al is one of the best. I've been busy today getting my bids in on lots ending in his auction tomorrow.

Lee is a great guy as well.

mantleman 01-29-2016 07:02 PM

Bst

Our very own Scott Gross and Luke Lyon.

clydepepper 01-29-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 1497439)
People I trust:

Dave Schrader of Bagger's Auctions.
David Bryan
Kevin Savage
Wayne Varner and Bill Zimpleman
George Ryden
John and Judy Burk
Mike McKee
Lou Swartz
Todd Schultz
Mark Macrae
Scott Mt. Joy
Rand and Alice Bailey
William Chappell

By no means an exhaustive list.

Well, Brian - even though we just missed on a recent deal and I'm not sure we have done business before...I do respect your hawk eye on the bad stuff on Ebay - your efforts and expertise have probably saved a lot of us time if not money and I for one appreciate it - and I'm not just sucking up to get on your list.
- and there are a lot of other good guys out here !!!

Bpm0014 01-29-2016 07:09 PM

Rhys at RMY Auctions!!!!!

Cozumeleno 01-29-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantleman (Post 1497524)
Our very own Scott Gross and Luke Lyon.

+1 ... or two in this case.

sycks22 01-29-2016 07:14 PM

There are a ton of great people in the hobby. Some that I can think of off the top of my head:

Dave Schrader "Bagger's"
Giovanni "Giovanni Auctions"
Al "Love of the game"
Lee "Sterling"
Leon / Scott "B&L"
Brian Dwyer "REA"
Brian "BST"

There are many more out there as well.

ksabet 01-29-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangman62 (Post 1497497)
cant go wrong with Sean Bassick

Unless you don't have what he wants and at the price he wants it.

I trust:

My mom

ezez420 01-29-2016 07:56 PM

I do agree with Dave Schrader. I always feel comfortable in his auctions.

MVSNYC 01-29-2016 08:17 PM

Al C. (LOTG) is as good as they come.

bcornell 01-29-2016 08:17 PM

This exercise doesn't give me a warm feeling. It's not that I disagree with who's listed here -- I think I've managed to bid in all of them at some point -- but if you had done the same thing in 2008, Mastro/Legendary would've been near the top of the list. In other words, who knows who's up to what?

I see only one (1) person mentioned Goodwin. That might be curious. Anyone want to guess why they don't get mentions?

Another thing - the BST on this board isn't auctions, but there is some obscene price gouging there by a few enterprising types. Are they fellow hobbyists? "Good guys"? Or predatory types who are taking advantage of a free board?

Bill

Brian Van Horn 01-29-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1497527)
Well, Brian - even though we just missed on a recent deal and I'm not sure we have done business before...I do respect your hawk eye on the bad stuff on Ebay - your efforts and expertise have probably saved a lot of us time if not money and I for one appreciate it - and I'm not just sucking up to get on your list.
- and there are a lot of other good guys out here !!!

Awe shucks :o.

Thank you, Raymond.

bnorth 01-29-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcornell (Post 1497562)
This exercise doesn't give me a warm feeling. It's not that I disagree with who's listed here -- I think I've managed to bid in all of them at some point -- but if you had done the same thing in 2008, Mastro/Legendary would've been near the top of the list. In other words, who knows who's up to what?

I see only one (1) person mentioned Goodwin. That might be curious. Anyone want to guess why they don't get mentions?

Another thing - the BST on this board isn't auctions, but there is some obscene price gouging there by a few enterprising types. Are they fellow hobbyists? "Good guys"? Or predatory types who are taking advantage of a free board?

Bill

There is a auction section on the BST section and yes several predatory types, some with prices that make Dean's look like a bargain bin at WalMart but just like on eBay those types can be easily avoided.

Joshchisox08 01-29-2016 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stone Cold used to have a slogan:

D on't
T rust
A nybody

that said I trust about 3 people off of this site and 2 of them know who they are.

bcornell 01-29-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1497568)
There is a auction section on the BST section and yes several predatory types, some with prices that make Dean's look like a bargain bin at WalMart but just like on eBay those types can be easily avoided.

Sure, we can avoid anyone and anything. Just like most of us now completely avoid eBay, which used to be the single best place to acquire cards. The fixed price format is a disaster for collectibles if you 'sell' stuff at ridiculous prices.

What I see on the BST now are too many wannabe dealers who are using this forum are their free marketplace. It didn't used to be like that.

frankbmd 01-29-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcornell (Post 1497578)
........................................ What I see on the BST now are too many wannabe dealers who are using this forum are their free marketplace. It didn't used to be like that.

Buy, Sell, Trade

Yup, why would anyone wannabe there to sell a card???

Jewish-collector 01-29-2016 09:05 PM

This song sums it up :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ob_Iwbd8h4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

egri 01-29-2016 09:17 PM

I'm surprised Jim Stinson hasn't come up already. He's a seller with integrity, as are the other members here I've dealt with.

drmondobueno 01-29-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1497413)

+1

Runscott 01-29-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 1497406)
Given the huge amount of bashing in the criminal activities post on individuals and in the hobby I wanted to start this as a Positive post.

Remember the "Who is your favorite forum member?" threads in the early days of discussion forums? Devolved a bit, but basically still a concept that lives.

Fred 01-29-2016 11:22 PM

Lot's of good people have been mentioned in this thread. Baggers is definitely on my good list as well as many others.

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Clean Sweep (Verk). I can remember really wanting a certain card and placing a good ceiling bid on the card. I ended up getting it for several bids under the max. Since that time I've always felt comfortable bidding in the Clean Sweep auctions.

ElCabron 01-29-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1497616)
One name I haven't seen mentioned is Clean Sweep (Verk). I can remember really wanting a certain card and placing a good ceiling bid on the card. I ended up getting it for several bids under the max. Since that time I've always felt comfortable bidding in the Clean Sweep auctions.

So much for this thread.

-Ryan

Fred 01-29-2016 11:33 PM

Ryan,

Was it something I wrote?

Bravesfanjd 01-29-2016 11:38 PM

I respect Leon for putting the community ahead of interests. Leon doesn't censor anything and lets the chips fall as they will. thank you for running an honest and open fourm Leon

Joshua

irishdenny 01-30-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksabet (Post 1497543)
Unless you don't have what he wants and at the price he wants it.

I trust:

My mom

And Just to be Crystal Clear...:rolleyes:
Isn't this to be said about anyone who is making a Transaction!?
On either side of the Trade or Sale!?

just Sayin Aye :)

mattsey9 01-30-2016 09:48 AM

A vote here for Joe's Vintage Sports Cards and to the members of the board here.

Runscott 01-30-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 1497617)
So much for this thread.

-Ryan

It was dead when it started. With very few exceptions, at least one person has had a bad deal with everyone listed in this thread. And for many collectors, 'One bad deal' = 'I hate your guts forever'.

There are AH's mentioned in this thread favorably that I wouldn't give them my business if they were selling the last item I needed to complete a set. There are also some mentioned negatively that have cleaned up their act and that I now deal with without hesitation.

ksabet 01-30-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishdenny (Post 1497721)
And Just to be Crystal Clear...:rolleyes:
Isn't this to be said about anyone who is making a Transaction!?
On either side of the Trade or Sale!?

just Sayin Aye :)

Absolutely,

But I tend to treat people with respect and kindness Irregardless (I know but I'm making it a word).

You never know when that person my come into something you do want and...

ezez420 01-30-2016 06:29 PM

It would be great if some of the houses actually stood by their recognition.

There are definitely a couple I see mentioned in this list that are undeserving because they condone it. It would be great if the hammer came down and got rid of these houses or shed some light to dry up their consignments.

xplainer 01-30-2016 07:29 PM

Joe's Vintage is a very good choice. Many dealings with them. No problems at all.

vintagebaseballcardguy 01-30-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1498002)
Joe's Vintage is a very good choice. Many dealings with them. No problems at all.

Same here, always topnotch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sycks22 01-30-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplainer (Post 1498002)

+1. Have always had good dealings with Memory Lane and Clean Sweep too

tedzan 02-02-2016 08:16 AM

Kevin Savage....in my book is one of the best in this hobby. I have acquired cards from Kevin since 1981 (directly,
or thru his auctions).

His integrity and his interpersonal dealings with his customers is tremendous.

TED Z

Runscott 02-02-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 1498006)
+1. Have always had good dealings with Memory Lane and Clean Sweep too

+1 on Joe and Clean Sweep
-at least one on Memory Lane

obcbobd 02-02-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1499035)
Kevin Savage....in my book is one of the best in this hobby. I have acquired cards from Kevin since 1981 (directly,
or thru his auctions).

His integrity and his interpersonal dealings with his customers is tremendous.

TED Z

+1