Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hypothetical Ebay Return of Something PSA Says is Fake (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237257)

Jobu 03-22-2017 09:23 PM

Hypothetical Ebay Return of Something PSA Says is Fake

I am not in a bind here, I am just asking out of curiosity.

Say a seller lists a T206 Cobb in an ASA, KSA, etc. holder with a grade of 4. The listing states no returns and that the card is original. I buy it, send it to PSA in the ASA holder, and PSA says that it is fake and returns it to me still in the ASA holder.

When I try to return it for being fake, what happens if the seller refuses the return because his grader (ASA) said the card was real and then proceeds to tell me and my grader to take a hike? Any idea what Ebay does in a situation like this?

mattjc1983 03-22-2017 09:31 PM

Does eBay only officially recognize some grading companies like they do with autographs? Their official rules do list a few, those it's not clear whether they're just listing them as examples or whether eBay is saying these are the go to. If the latter, then I think eBay would favor the PSA opinion over KSA: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b713c35cd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfkheat 03-22-2017 09:35 PM

You can file a not as described claim and get a refund. I have yet to figure why eBay has an option for no returns.
James

Edwolf1963 03-22-2017 09:51 PM

I believe in that situation the buyer could press the issue and get the refund since the card was unaltered and being returned in the same condition. Well known that eBay will usually side with the buyer in areas of dispute. Now, if the original holder was cracked out and put in a PSA plastic sleeve with that infamous AUTH? notation – I think the buyer is SOL.

I had a somewhat similar situation a few years back where the seller represented and sold a 1915 Cracker Jack as a 1914. PSA stabbed as a 1915, I never even thought to look at the slab that closely or the back. My bad. I sniped quickly, won, received, started to crack it out (because I thought it could possibly cross to a better grade) and then noticed it was a 1915 from the back of the card. Bitched but lost bcse I had cracked the slab - even though the seller clearly misled. Not exactly your hypothetical situation, but thought it related to some degree.

packs 03-23-2017 07:41 AM

Just another PSA for everyone that writing "no returns" in an eBay description does not supersede eBay's own return policy, which you agree to when you list your item. I ignore it every time because I know I can return anything I want.

maximus35 03-23-2017 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Jobu;1643796]I am not in a bind here, I am just asking out of curiosity.

I had a similar situation only the seller offered returns within 30 days. Some of you might remember my post. It was concerning a Pete Rose rookie PSA 9(oc) that had frosted corners. It was in an old PSA holder. All of the 4 corners were so frosted, even Tony the Tiger would agree. I didn't know much about cracked cases with trimmed cards slipped in and resealed but came across a forum showing what to look for. It was that post about the Cali Craig's list scam. this was about 2 weeks after I got the card. Something just didn't seem right about the card. The sides of the plastic looked all scratched as if somebody was using something (perhaps a screwdriver) to crack it. I started doing more research but was not getting a 100% answer. Out of luck, I was at a local card shop were rep from Beckett was doing raw grade review and accepting cards to bring back for grading. I had him look at my Rose and he said he felt the case was cracked and the card inside was trimmed and resealed. He said they would not be able to grade it and gave the card back to me.

At this point it and been 31 days since my purchase. I had the beckett rep write up some documetation for me to show the seller. He refused to believe the rep at beckett saying he doesnt trust anybody except PSA and denied me a refund saying I was one day late but he would have gladly given me one if I were a day early. So i got ebay involved. Again, they denied to help me saying it was past 30 days and to contact pay pal. Pay pal sided with me and issued me a refund after sending the buyer the card back.

The worst part is the buyer refused to believe my story thinking I had buyers remorse and was trying to pull a scam on him. So he sent the card back to PSA to get reholder service with the new holder with a hologram……and they sent it back to him in a NEW HOLOGRAM HOLDER. It just makes me wonder if they truly looked at the card again to make sure or if they saw its previous score and just made a new flip with the hologram and mailed it back. Im pretty sure the card was trimmed. Plus 2 reps from Beckett and the majority of the customers in the card shop I showed it to, all agreed it looked trimmed.

So if anybody comes across this Pete Rose, just be careful!

bnorth 03-23-2017 02:17 PM

I have no idea what eBay would really do but I would hope they would tell the buyer to pound sand.

There are 2 main types of buyers for these cards. One kind has no idea what they are doing. No good life lessons are free.:D

The other kind in the card flipper. They are hoping to get a card super cheap, cross it over and make a quick several bucks. I say screw these people. It is a gamble and if you lose it sucks and if you win that is awesome. This damn returning an item if you don't win is BS. Just my 2 cents.:)

Leon 03-25-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1643857)
Just another PSA for everyone that writing "no returns" in an eBay description does not supersede eBay's own return policy, which you agree to when you list your item. I ignore it every time because I know I can return anything I want.

yeap. As long is it isn't what the seller says it is, ebay rules with the buyer...It is like Judge Judy's America......a wonderful place of common sense over technicality.

Jobu 03-25-2017 11:01 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I have never bought anything like this (minus one card in an ASA holder that I wanted to matter what it crossed to - it went from something like a 6 to an A, but that was ok with me).

I do see "opportunities" and wonder what would happen in the scenario I outlined, but I also assume that most cards are still in those holders because they were sent to PSA/SGC and returned without being cracked.

nat 03-25-2017 02:32 PM

What happens when no TPG is involved? Say that a seller says that a raw card is original, but when you put it under the black light it glows like a Christmas tree. If you file a not-as-described complaint, will you win that one?

murphy8276 03-27-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nat (Post 1644579)
What happens when no TPG is involved? Say that a seller says that a raw card is original, but when you put it under the black light it glows like a Christmas tree. If you file a not-as-described complaint, will you win that one?

100% of the time. Just tell ebay it is counterfeit--they don't allow sales of counterfeit cards so they close that case out pretty fast in your favor. "counterfeit" is the loophole to all returns.