Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The ultimate trade up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238153)

Republicaninmass 04-10-2017 09:11 AM

It's already been tried on one of the other boards

Best of luck

bobbyw8469 04-10-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 1649502)
I remember a few years ago someone on the CU board did a similar thing. I don't recall exactly how far they got, but I believe they made a pretty good attempt. The key I think would be to not limit what you'll take and to be open to any type of offer. I think as you get further along it will get more difficult, but in the end, I think you might be surprised. Besides, that's a nice Johnson to start from!

DJ

The person on CU was able to get their Mantle.

Touch'EmAll 04-10-2017 09:19 AM

trade...

Maybe just sell, er, trade the W. Johnson for cash. Trade some more stuff for cash. Then finally trade the cash for the card you want.

bnorth 04-10-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1649509)
The person on CU was able to get their Mantle.

^^That is awesome^^

I remember a few years ago another guy over on BO did a similar thing but don't remember what his goal was. He detailed every transaction down to the penny. It took a very long time but he made it and it was a great thread to fallow.

From what I remember of that thread he made a lot of deals that he traded a high end card for several lower end cards that had a much higher value.

KMayUSA6060 04-10-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1649514)
^^That is awesome^^

I remember a few years ago another guy over on BO did a similar thing but don't remember what his goal was. He detailed every transaction down to the penny. It took a very long time but he made it and it was a great thread to fallow.

From what I remember of that thread he made a lot of deals that he traded a high end card for several lower end cards that had a much higher value.

That was a fantastic thread and journey to follow. He did an outstanding job chronicling his moves, expenses, etc.

The only thing about that attempt is I believe he and a buddy actually traveled the country, doing deals in person and such. They brought cards with them to sell to cover expenses, and other cards to sell to build towards their ultimate goal - I as well don't remember what their goal was.

Stephen, good luck. It can be done, but I would refrain from using polarizing statements such as "I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

Bpm0014 04-10-2017 10:08 AM

A really neat thread this will be to follow... Best of luck!

1952boyntoncollector 04-10-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1649515)
\

Stephen, good luck. It can be done, but I would refrain from using polarizing statements such as "I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

Exactly that makes no sense. You are supposed to make deals and you do the work to see if you can get increased value instead of getting charity from people.

Saying that someone's card is harder to sell so they will do a deal with you but its worth more money than your card does not make sense. The card either is or isnt more valuable in your mind.

Anyway, i think you should be buying a particular LOT (there were several low grade T206 Lots recently for example ) at an auction and then spending the time selling the cards of individually and you can document the process. You would be putting in sweat equity to earn a potential profit but at least its feasible to keep making money that way and to reach your ultimate goal..

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-10-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1649549)
Exactly that makes no sense. You are supposed to make deals and you do the work to see if you can get increased value instead of getting charity from people.

Saying that someone's card is harder to sell so they will do a deal with you but its worth more money than your card does not make sense. The card either is or isnt more valuable in your mind.

Anyway, i think you should be buying a particular LOT at an auction and then spending the time selling the cards of individually and you can document the process. You would be putting in sweat equity to earn a potential profit but at least its feasible to keep making money that way and to reach your ultimate goal..

I respectfully disagree. If someone wants the card, and they have somehing they don't want and isn't as desirable, I believe they would rather trade down to what they want than wait for a sale on that item that may take a year.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-10-2017 11:13 AM

It's a lot easier to do what you are saying.. buy and sell and then buy what I want. That's what everyone does. I am trying to only trade. Dealing with only the cards I'm dealt. That is more entertaining and a. Ore difficult task imo

1952boyntoncollector 04-10-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1649551)
It's a lot easier to do what you are saying.. buy and sell and then buy what I want. That's what everyone does. I am trying to only trade. Dealing with only the cards I'm dealt. That is more entertaining and a. Ore difficult task imo

Its more difficult to upgrade a collection by making fair deals at the time and trying to figure out the future market on the card versus getting charity.

If someone wants to downgrade a card for your card then they will want you to come up with cash to make up the difference unless its just charity.