Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Auction House Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238200)

jimjim 04-11-2017 09:19 AM

Auction House Question

I have a number of high dollar autographed baseballs, that I'm thinking about selling. I usually sell on eBay with decent results. I decided to look into selling via an auction house, as I see sometimes they will get higher dollar values compared to eBay. However, I had no idea that they charge a sellers fee of 15%. So here's my question, what is the advantage of selling via an auction house? The final prices are not that much higher than eBay and the commission is higher. If you look at the bottom line, eBay seems like a better deal. Plus, I have to cover authentication fees or any other incidental charges. Just the same as eBay. Am I missing something?

Bpm0014 04-11-2017 09:37 AM

The BST here is the best deal....

packs 04-11-2017 10:33 AM

I still don't understand why an auction house would charge a sellers fee on top of the buyer premium. It's double dipping.

pokerplyr80 04-11-2017 11:29 AM

Depending on how high the value of your collection is you should be able to negotiate and waive the seller's fee, and possibly keep a percentage of the buyers premium. Individual auction house policies on that may vary, but go with the one you feel will give you the best return. And as someone else mentioned it doesn't hurt to list here. No fees at all.

RichardSimon 04-11-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1649903)
I still don't understand why an auction house would charge a sellers fee on top of the buyer premium. It's double dipping.

They charge it because they can get away with it.
It was not that many years ago that there was no buyers fee.
Christie's & Sotheby's, those paragons of virtue, started the buyers fee.

rednecksims 04-11-2017 05:30 PM

A lot of the legit auction houses will reduce or do away with with sellers premium, or pay you to have certain items in an auction. Just depends how much attention they believe an item will draw. Just don't settle with what's stated online, negotiate.

Klrdds 04-11-2017 06:53 PM

Whenever I began to sell parts of my collection I negotiated my sellers premium with the 2 AHs I use no matter if I send them 1 item or 10 items . They also pay for the grading and LOAs and photographing/ listing fees ( one AH charges a fee for photographing and listing per item on top of sellers fee ), so I have no out of pocket expenses.
For me it is a no stress deal.

RedsFan1941 04-11-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1650001)
They charge it because they can get away with it.
It was not that many years ago that there was no buyers fee.
Christie's & Sotheby's, those paragons of virtue, started the buyers fee.

i can remember bidding in auctions 25 years ago and paying a 10% buyers premium. i'm not sure what the definition of "not that many" is.

packs 04-12-2017 07:10 AM

I don't have a problem with buyer premiums really but to charge the seller too for generating the buyer premium seems out of order.

perezfan 04-12-2017 10:46 PM

After you pay eBay's basic listing fees, final value fees, PayPal fees and such, you'll see it all adds up. If you set a reserve, it jumps even more. The differences between eBay's fees and the AH fees can be very minimal if you negotiate properly.

Plus, you won't have the worries of doing the write-ups, uploading photos, dealing with unfounded disputes and deadbeat buyers. To me, the auction houses are just easier and better. EBay's only real advantage is the speed in which you get paid. But to each his own :rolleyes:

callou2131 04-13-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1650416)
After you pay eBay's basic listing fees, final value fees, PayPal fees and such, you'll see it all adds up. If you set a reserve, it jumps even more. The differences between eBay's fees and the AH fees can be very minimal if you negotiate properly.

Plus, you won't have the worries of doing the write-ups, uploading photos, dealing with unfounded disputes and deadbeat buyers. To me, the auction houses are just easier and better. EBay's only real advantage is the speed in which you get paid. But to each his own :rolleyes:

There are many consigners on ebay that charge a much lower price because they have already negotiated a deal with ebay.

Topnotchsy 04-13-2017 11:43 PM

I've been looking at consigning a few items and have found the process of picking an auction house and/or negotiating with them a real challenge. I had some Jackie items that were "extras" that I sent to Goldin for their Robinson auction but other than that would love input on how to choose and what are reasonable rates to negotiate (based on the value/scarcity/appeal of the items). If anyone has advice and wants a concrete example, I consigned the 1947 Dodgers baseball to Goldin (Jackie RC season) and the standard buyers premium there is 15%...

theshleps 04-13-2017 11:46 PM

Another option is sending your items to Jim Stinson or Rich Simon for an agreed upon price. Two high integrity people of a dying breed

Bobsbats 04-14-2017 07:44 PM

If you're in no rush to sell them, price them out and put them on the BST.
I've sold many an item on there and have never been disappointed.