Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T: What to do with old Auction Catalogs? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=120054)

JLange 01-25-2010 08:06 PM

O/T: What to do with old Auction Catalogs?

I'm trying to pare down my "reference libary" of old auction catalogs. I am having a hard time parting with them, but they take up so much space! I am just wondering what do others do with their catalogs, and if there is a better way to go about this. Do you cut out some images, and throw the rest away? Do you scan the pages? Do you pitch 'em right after the auction? After a few years these things can really pile up.

joeadcock 01-25-2010 08:07 PM

I just keep them all.

Frank

fkw 01-25-2010 08:20 PM

best reference material, even better than some guides.

especially if you write the final bids next to the item..... to use later as a price guide.

I have over 100 going back 25 years.

Jewish-collector 01-25-2010 08:32 PM

The only thing better in life than receiving an auction catalog is receiving a free auction catalog. :D

Orioles1954 01-25-2010 08:41 PM

I recycle all of mine after completion of the auction.

ethicsprof 01-25-2010 09:02 PM

catalogue

that last legendary catalog with those beautiful photos of Conlon, Thompson, et al will be a keeper forever.
when i win, i keep the catalog---when i don't, it's easier to toss.

best,
barry

Rob D. 01-25-2010 09:13 PM

I'll often try to trade 2-3 old catalogs for free parking at a downtown or hotel lot.

Fred 01-25-2010 11:11 PM

To me, some of the auction catalogs are almost like collectibles. For example, the Halper collection had a really nice set of catalogs. You can still find them on ebay. If you like that stuff and you're looking for the Halper catalogs then make sure you get all three volumes in the box set.

Pup6913 01-25-2010 11:17 PM

I started to shred them and use as packing. Makes for a very neat puzzle if you are board:D

Kawika 01-26-2010 01:27 AM

I have several dozen old catalogs, Mastro, REA, Goodwin, even three or four of Barry's, going back 7 or 8 years. I finally started throwing newer ones away because it was just taking up too much room. What I do now is tear out the pages that have the items I've won to keep as part of the provenance plus I save pages for items that are of particular interest. The old catalogs are a great resource of information about a myriad of cards, memorabilia etc; the only problem is that it is difficult to find something specific if you don't know which auction house or auction date to refer to. What I wish is that some enterprising type would create an index of auctioned items from all the old catalogs, scans would be good, too. Probably would require about a jillion man-hours of effort but it would be nice.

barrysloate 01-26-2010 05:22 AM

At least my old catalogs don't take up any room. I save the ones I consider classic auctions, like Halper and Copeland, among others, and toss the rest. I'm simply running out of space to store them.

timzcardz 01-26-2010 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 777940)
I'll often try to trade 2-3 old catalogs for free parking at a downtown or hotel lot.

And how well has that been working out for you?

If they have a price grid I print that out and stick it in the catalogue for future reference.

Sometimes I just like to sit down and thumb through a catalog. There is always something of interest that I hadn't previously read, or just forgot about.

Kotton King 01-26-2010 06:08 AM

If I had more space I'd keep them. Unfortunately my wife hates the clutter of numerous catalogs and I have to recycle them.

slidekellyslide 01-26-2010 10:26 AM

I have a bookshelf in my basement....I probably have over 200 of them going back to the early 1990s. It's good rainy day material...and like Frank said it's the best reference library one can have.

Jewish-collector 01-27-2010 05:52 AM

I agree with David. I wish there was a master index.

SmokyBurgess 01-27-2010 07:36 AM

catalogs

Donate them to the local Christian Outreach Center and hope they can get a dollar or so for them.

E93 01-27-2010 10:02 AM

I keep the significant ones (all Mastro, REA, etc.). As mentioned above, they are a great reference. They also make for a good toilet read a few years down the line.
JimB

bmarlowe1 01-27-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 777959)
To me, some of the auction catalogs are almost like collectibles. For example, the Halper collection had a really nice set of catalogs. You can still find them on ebay. If you like that stuff and you're looking for the Halper catalogs then make sure you get all three volumes in the box set.

I did just that a while back. This one especially is a nice reference for a few major mis-identified photos. I did create a very abreviated index for it and a few others for images I think are important and useful.

In the future, if more catalogues are distributed as pdf's, finding specific items should be easier.

slidekellyslide 01-27-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokyBurgess (Post 778236)
Donate them to the local Christian Outreach Center and hope they can get a dollar or so for them.

If you have a local weekly consignment auction put a few in there and see how they do. I once got $15 for a Hake's catalog (Pinbacks and Americana).

Sportsguy20 05-16-2010 09:59 PM

Old auction catalogs & SCD issues 4 SALE

Selling Old Sports Memorabilia auction catalogs; Sports Collector's Digest Issues. Perfect for the Sports Enthusiast who wants to learn about memorabilia prices over time. Willing to part with these for the right price. Email me to negotiate a price.

sbfinley 05-16-2010 10:18 PM

If anyone ever wants to clear up space I would gladly take them off your hands!

tbob 05-16-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 777930)
I recycle all of mine after completion of the auction.

Ditto :)

M's_Fan 05-16-2010 10:53 PM

I enjoy the end of auctions, I usually go through and write in the catalog what the item went for (just the pre-war cards, can't do this with the entire REA bible-thick catalog!).

Not only is this a useful guide for future bidding, but I figure in 20-30 years it will be interesting to go back and see what things were being auctioned off for. I'm sure it will be interesting.... Still not sure if I'll be saying "what were we thinking?" or "why didn't I buy more at those prices?!"

kcohen 05-17-2010 06:41 AM

I throw mine into recycling. Too much space and too heavy. Besides, the auction houses archive completed auctions so that can be used for reference.

As to all you guys that accumulate them, when can we expect to see you featured on an episode of Hoarders?

SmokyBurgess 05-17-2010 07:22 AM

old catalogues

I donate them to the local Christian charity...maybe they can get a dollar or two for them to help needy families pay their bills or get food.

Bicem 05-17-2010 08:00 AM

http://lwtchost.ctc.edu/dept/hr/images/recycle.jpg

drdduet 05-17-2010 09:13 AM

Same as FKW.

onlychild 05-17-2010 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A surgery gone bad left me cane Dependant in 09. What to do with the ever-so-awesome REA catalog? Clip the pics, arrange them tight, paste, add 5 coats of lacquer and fashion it all into a very usable cane which was hand made from scratch.

Kevin

rc4157 05-17-2010 03:33 PM

Now that is cool, very creative Kevin.
RC

Peter_Spaeth 05-17-2010 04:28 PM

Kevin, you are raising canes to a new level.

Sportsguy20 05-19-2010 02:35 PM

old auction catalogs and SCD

Does anybody old auction catalogs and SCD's? There are hundreds and hundreds for sale. Old ones