Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Demmitt/Ohara St. L values? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135590)

kllrbee 04-11-2011 03:46 PM

Demmitt/Ohara St. L values?

Hey all,
Been going for the 518 as complete. Up to 421, but just picked up a 100 card lot locally that had some treats inside. An attic find....

97 cards to be exact, all Polar Bear backs, with 16 Hof's.

But heres the good part....

2 Demmitt's and an Ohara STL!

Just out of curiosity, what are they going for these days? One Demmitt is G-VG, one F-G, and the Ohara is poor.

I will include scans later, but I need to run to work right now.

Thanks,

lharri3600 04-11-2011 03:49 PM

nice pick up

barrysloate 04-11-2011 03:56 PM

Yikes! Two Demmitts and an O'Hara in a small group like that. That's extraordinary!

Gradedcardman 04-11-2011 03:57 PM

Value

I would stay close to the heritage auction. I believe they have a couple of them as well as REA.

fkw 04-11-2011 04:15 PM

If the collection was all Polar Bears, that makes sense as those 2 cards are just as common as any other card with that back.

Nice find :)

t206hound 04-11-2011 05:05 PM

Good for you!

No good attics in my town apparently! Congrats!

I looked recently, and even low grades were on the order of $1000 or more.

buymycards 04-11-2011 05:36 PM

Demmitt/O'hara

I was lucky enough to pick up a PSA Authentic Demmitt for about $650, that is unusual. Even a beat up PSA 1 will go for $800 to $1000. I have been watching for a low grade O'hara for the past couple of years and I don't recall any that were under $1000. O'hara seems to be a little more scarce than Demmitt.

Nice pick up! The only thing I find around my small city is beat up 89 Topps.

Rick

ethicsprof 04-11-2011 09:33 PM

wow!

congratulations!!!
the only thing i've been finding are lava lamps.

best,
barry

kllrbee 04-12-2011 11:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Here is some scans of the cards.
I just made scans of the Demmitts, Ohara, and Hof's. There is also 75 commons and 3 Chase. All clean PB backs.
After closer examination last night, a few look strange to me. I dont know if it is a diamond cut or possible trimming. That diamond cut tends to play tricks on my eyes. Im looking particularly at the Johnson, Matty, Jennings, Chance, Willis.
Would you guys take a look and tell me what you see? I will post better scans if needed with the back. When looking at the back though, the "browning" at the edges look consistent across and the edges of the cards are all equally brown or faded.
Also, Id appreciate it if you could take a stab at grades. Obviously the Ohara, Speaker, and Crawford are poor, but Id like to see what you guys think about the others.
Ill start a new post if needed....

wonkaticket 04-12-2011 12:28 PM

Most look ok to me from that scan, I would say diamond cut not all T206's were cut perfect.

As for grades who knows...I would guess you have a mixed bag on most some G-VG-VGEX might even be the EX one in there but all depends on wrinkles and stuff that can't be seen from the scan.

Nice lot of cards congrats.

Cheers,

John

Jaybird 04-12-2011 12:41 PM

agreed on the mixed lot. That first Demmitt looks nice. Probably a "3" but could get a "4".

I find it interesting that there are a high number of diamond cut cards in the bunch. maybe they all came off the same sheet? If this was a Polar Bear smoker, he might have bought all of these from the same store which would have been from the same batch.

I can see the assembly line pulling all of the cards from one sheet and putting them one by one into packs and then putting those packs into a box and shipping all to the local store.

barrysloate 04-12-2011 12:57 PM

Demmitt= 3
Demmitt= 1 or 2
O'Hara= 1

Fairly high percentage of key HOFers as well as the three scarce cards. I think that is a very impressive group. Your original goal was a set of 518 but now you can amp it up and go for the set of 520.

scottglevy 04-12-2011 12:57 PM

Congrats!

Very nice find. Most of the cards including the diamond cuts look original / untrimmed to me.

Appx. Retail Values
Demmitt/O'hara in Poor = roughly 800-1000
Fair $1000-1200
Good $1500+
VG $2500+

Best,
Scott

toppcat 04-12-2011 04:45 PM

Geez, nice pickup! You can sell the beater Demmitt and O'Hara and get a matching O'Hara for the better Demmitt! Nice!

kllrbee 04-12-2011 07:45 PM

Thanks alot for the help guys.

For those of you who have contacted me about selling, I am going through them now and will be either selling or trading many of them. About 115 cards total with Hof's and one of the Demmitt's. I am keeping one of the Demmitt's and Ohara and doing the 520.

FWIW, I need about 90 cards for completion. Roughly 15 hof's, 20 sl's, and the rest commons, including some tough ones. So it would be great if I could trade for everything I need, but I know it doesnt usually work out that way. If I decide to go that route, Ill post up my wantlist and go from there.

Mikehealer 04-12-2011 07:49 PM

Nice group of cards, some nice looking HOFers. Good luck finishing the set.