Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need Help Identifying a Strip Card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253701)

cmcclelland 04-11-2018 02:02 PM

Need Help Identifying a Strip Card

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone ever seen one of these or know what it is? I believe it is probably from around 1928 based on the players pictured.

Leon 04-11-2018 02:11 PM

Not sure I have seen that before. What kind of paper stock is it on? Can you provide any other info or provenance? Anytime I see something I haven't seen before, I try to get the backstory of where it came from. Sometimes it helps lead to an id too.

cmcclelland 04-11-2018 02:32 PM

It's on a fairly heavy cardboard stock similar to a baseball card. It actually came from the family of Jim Bottomley.

brianp-beme 04-11-2018 02:43 PM

I wonder if this could be considered a strip issue (or even a card issue) as the the card widths are different, which I don't remember seeing before.

Brian

Exhibitman 04-11-2018 02:51 PM

Looks like the bottom of a poster or a box top.

ls7plus 04-11-2018 02:55 PM

[delete]

nolemmings 04-11-2018 03:02 PM

Seems like it would be from 1929, as that was Southworth's first year as manager and Howley's last in St. Louis. Because both St. Louis managers are shown it may have come from that area.

cmcclelland 04-11-2018 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just measured it and the right side is 1/16" shorter than the left side, so I think it was likely hand cut along the top edge. Left side is 3 3/8" high and right side is 3 5/16" high. Length is 13 3/4" and is consistent at top and bottom edge. So, I think it was hand cut along top, but the left, right and bottom appear to be a factory cut. Also, it's got that number "60" at the bottom, which almost appears to be a page #, but that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense based on the heavy cardboard stock. Attached is a close up of the logo at the bottom.

swarmee 04-11-2018 03:12 PM

The 60 at bottom would make me think this is out of a book of some sort; page number? Love that it includes Bobby Jones.

steve B 04-11-2018 03:42 PM

The 60 identifies the print shop that printed it.

http://wp.unionlabel.org/2015/12/22/...rades-council/

packs 04-11-2018 05:58 PM

Don't know what they are but the print quality is really sharp compared to some contemporary strip cards.

Leon 04-17-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1766534)
Don't know what they are but the print quality is really sharp compared to some contemporary strip cards.

Definitely sharper than any strips I can think of off hand, besides a few scarce ones that are real photo type...

chlankf 04-17-2018 07:58 PM

Similar

Same print shop, different city. See previous thread.

http://http://www.net54baseball.com/...d.php?t=251037

ullmandds 04-17-2018 08:21 PM

nice! looks honey boyish.

Golfcollector 04-18-2018 06:39 PM

I consider myself fairly well rounded in the area of golf cards...I have never seen this Jones before.

There are a few golf card folks that would likely come out of pocket on this item pretty heavily if some backstory on this could be provided.

cmcclelland 04-21-2018 06:44 PM

Not being a golf collector, I am curious as to what kind of value a golf collector might put on this item? I know it's probably difficult to estimate because the exact origin of this item is unknown at this point, but based on the fact that this is likely from the 1928-29 time frame and possibly a very rare item, do you have any ballpark or guidance on value?

brianp-beme 04-22-2018 08:44 PM

I still find the fact that the Southworth 'card' is much wider than the others makes this extremely unlikely that this was a card issue.

It reminds me of the orange bordered 'Manager' cards from the mid-30's that were determined at a later date to actually be cut from a scorebook or writing tablet (I forget what).

Brian

rhettyeakley 04-22-2018 11:22 PM

I have no problem with this item being a new set of strip cards. The “60” is the shop number that was making the piece, they were an “Allied Printers Union” shop located in St Louis, Mo and at location number 60. The Union label or “bug” actually adds provenance and trackability of the piece and adds to legitimacy if someone cared enough to look into it.

Leon 04-23-2018 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you mean these below, Brian. Still on the fence with the strip being talked about...
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1769817)
I still find the fact that the Southworth 'card' is much wider than the others makes this extremely unlikely that this was a card issue.

It reminds me of the orange bordered 'Manager' cards from the mid-30's that were determined at a later date to actually be cut from a scorebook or writing tablet (I forget what).

Brian

Golfcollector 04-23-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcclelland (Post 1769526)
Not being a golf collector, I am curious as to what kind of value a golf collector might put on this item? I know it's probably difficult to estimate because the exact origin of this item is unknown at this point, but based on the fact that this is likely from the 1928-29 time frame and possibly a very rare item, do you have any ballpark or guidance on value?

IF it was graded and authenticated as some "type card" that was part of an actual issue or perhaps a hand cut strip card....just my estimation but I would guess $750-$1000 easy for just the Jones...could be way higher if a few of the right folks who collect vintage golf and Jones get involved in bidding.

Auction format would be the way to go if this could be authenticated. But in my opinion it would get more play for the Bobby Jones than anyone else on the panel

brianp-beme 04-23-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1769871)
I think you mean these below, Brian. Still on the fence with the strip being talked about...

Leon, that is the one. The Bobby Jones 'strip' is a cool item, but I still can't get past the fact that the Southworth card was designed so much wider...I don't recall any issue where the width of the card is intentionally different.

Brian

prewarsports 04-23-2018 09:51 PM

My guess (and this is just a guess) would be that this was a mock-up for some type of publication or advertising done by the print shop and then presented to the publisher so they could see it in print form before heading to mass production which was very expensive. Nearly every newspaper archive I have been to that predates WWII has things that look just like this but done "in house" by the printers at the newspaper. I have all sorts of paper scraps done on thick cardboard or blank backed paper that were mocked up by artists and then sent up to the publishers so they could see the finished product before they made thousands of them at high costs. These things I find are almost always from the 1920's (about when this was done) and look VERY similar in style but less card-like.

For example, that calendar above would have had an artist mock-up the player photos in the boxes and at various stages of publication they could have been printed in strips (before the calendar part was added) and sent to the customer for review. Those strips, if they existed today, would certainly look like a strip card set, but would just be part of making the calendar. Most of these of course would be discarded once the finished product was done, but in the case of newspapers they sometimes were kept in case they wanted to re-use them down the road.

The red lines in the middle and non-conformity in size are indicators to me that this was not really intended to be baseball cards, but some type of other publication that was in the process of being completed.

Just a guess.